PDA

View Full Version : Statewide Advisory for Eating Fish

Cali Duck
08-06-2013, 02:46 PM
I know I know, ya'll are gonna get in a HUGE debacle over which fish are safer to eat than others, ya'll love to banter about that stuff...but here is a credible source of information for which fish are safe to eat in what quanties for different genders/age ranges and in what waters. Enjoy as it was just recently updated. Please spare me your "I slept in a crib with lead paint and look at me!" BS...fact of the matter is, you SHOULD be looking out for your health, but I don't give damn if you do or don't, long as you pay for your own health care...(oh boy...queue the obamacare debacle lol)

OEHHA Fish (http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish.html)

I really like the advisory map.

Dwight Manley
08-06-2013, 03:03 PM
not to take away from your concerns...but after finding out what's in our food (gmo's, pesticides, steroids, etc) fish from the bay don't seem so bad anymore despite the warnings

I've eaten fish from the bay since I was a kid, as did my parents and grandparents

Lola and Lolo (grandparents) both ate bay caught fish, smoked cigarettes and lived well into their 90's

I know I know, ya'll are gonna get in a HUGE debacle over which fish are safer to eat than others, ya'll love to banter about that stuff...but here is a credible source of information for which fish are safe to eat in what quanties for different genders/age ranges and in what waters. Enjoy as it was just recently updated. Please spare me your "I slept in a crib with lead paint and look at me!" BS...fact of the matter is, you SHOULD be looking out for your health, but I don't give damn if you do or don't, long as you pay for your own health care...(oh boy...queue the obamacare debacle lol)

OEHHA Fish (http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish.html)

I really like the advisory map.

Cali Duck
08-06-2013, 03:13 PM
not to take away from your concerns...but after finding out what's in our food (gmo's, pesticides, steroids, etc) fish from the bay don't seem so bad anymore despite the warnings

I've eaten fish from the bay since I was a kid, as did my parents and grandparents

Lola and Lolo (grandparents) both ate bay caught fish, smoked cigarettes and lived well into their 90's

All about quantity and how often ya eat it..that and it sounds like you have some healthy genes!

49erbassman
08-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Another reason to fish for sport and not food ;)

Fish on!

Cali Duck
08-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Starting a poll on this one...let's see what we end up with!

BIG_ONE
08-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I vote for number one...oh wait - am I allowed to say what I voted for? LOL.

:baghead:

CRABBY
08-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Blurry,not to take away from your concern but the list never changes much an because it's put out by the government most won't believe it anyway!From my somewhat biased perspective it's all BS!!!!!The government wants the fish gone an wants us to believe they are bad!!!IF we stop fishing an don't fish anymore because they are so bad for us we won't care about them so they can just grab the water or more of it because now we believe the fish are killing us!!!When they have total control an we have no reason to protest. That will be it for our fisheries!!I personally have never seen a BIG list or any list of people or babies dying from eating our fish,not saying there isn't a small chance but just driving on our highways or shopping in the wrong place etc.puts you at more risk....JMO..... :exactly2pn:

LURKER916
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I swear this list grows every year on what we shouldn't eat....

As far as I can remember brown trout were never on that list.

I call complete BS FUD!

Not your fault blurry. It's the libtards that don't want us fishing or hunting.
Explain to me how all the Asian cultures eat so much fish and live so long with not all those health problems? Yet we are advised to eat no more than one serving a week of carp?
Laym - o

Cali Duck
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Blurry,not to take away from your concern but the list never changes much an because it's put out by the government most won't believe it anyway!From my somewhat biased perspective it's all BS!!!!!The government wants the fish gone an wants us to believe they are bad!!!IF we stop fishing an don't fish anymore because they are so bad for us we won't care about them so they can just grab the water or more of it because now we believe the fish are killing us!!!When they have total control an we have no reason to protest. That will be it for our fisheries!!I personally have never seen a BIG list or any list of people or babies dying from eating our fish,not saying there isn't a small chance but just driving on our highways or shopping in the wrong place etc.puts you at more risk....JMO..... :exactly2pn:

It's actually not likely to kill you...but mercury is a neurotoxin, meaning it messes with your head... Jeremy Piven (Ari from Entourage) actually got mercury poisoning from eating sushi twice a day for two weeks. He suffered memory loss, lack of balance, and low oxygen levels in his blood, from which he passed out and was sent to the ER.

Now, I've touched on the this topic in previous posts and I get the same result, but I'm thick skinned! I love a good debate.

The fact of the matter is, your pregnant woman and children under 17 shouldn't be eating a ton of fish species that are high in mercury. It most certainly will have some type of effect on their development. This is science, not senseless banter. A friend is a marine biologist at UC Santa Cruz and confirms there are studies on the matter, all with positive correlations to the mercury count in fish and the rate of consumption of those affected individuals.

But again! I am just trying to peak some awareness out there, that's all. I'm not saying don't fish, or don't eat your catch, but merely...know the risks.

BIG_ONE
08-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I swear this list grows every year on what we shouldn't eat....

As far as I can remember brown trout were never on that list.

I call complete BS FUD!

Not your fault blurry. It's the libtards that don't want us fishing or hunting.
Explain to me how all the Asian cultures eat so much fish and live so long with not all those health problems? Yet we are advised to eat no more than one serving a week of carp?
Laym - o

I believe I have the answer to that one...LONG LIFE NOODLES!

:ts6rp::ts6rp::ts6rp:

CRABBY
08-06-2013, 04:07 PM
OK,now I understand,Jfitalia eats to much fish....It's the nuro things that did it!!OK all clear now,I understand....Just Kiddin of course to get him riled up!!!!LOL.....:baghead:

salmonid
08-06-2013, 09:23 PM
I wonder why more species weren't listed? I know salmon and steel should be fine since they bulk up in the ocean, but what about sturgeon and striped bass? Friend of mine won't eat any stripers- he says too much mercury. I would guess sturg have even more.

Interesting,

Jimmy_M
08-07-2013, 08:00 AM
I believe I have the answer to that one...LONG LIFE NOODLES!

:ts6rp::ts6rp::ts6rp:

My Ex's family would by 5 gal. bottles of "BLESSED WATER" from their church and drink it on special occasions or when they are feeling sick.

Cali Duck
08-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I wonder why more species weren't listed? I know salmon and steel should be fine since they bulk up in the ocean, but what about sturgeon and striped bass? Friend of mine won't eat any stripers- he says too much mercury. I would guess sturg have even more.

Interesting,

Stripers were on there...but you're right I didn't see sturgeon. I only eat striper if its 18-26". Anything bigger I try to avoid and just take a photo. Plus, I want those bigger fish to reproduce!

SF21
08-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Stripers were on there...but you're right I didn't see sturgeon. I only eat striper if its 18-26". Anything bigger I try to avoid and just take a photo. Plus, I want those bigger fish to reproduce!

Striper and sturgeon are on there under the dont eat at all, lol.

Smog
PCB's
Hormones
GMO
Lead

Just one more thing to add to the list of **** that can kill you. Life is too short to worry about things like that.

salmonid
08-07-2013, 08:58 AM
ok, i was looking in the wrong place, Sac river:

OEHHA Fish Draft Report, Public Workshop, and Public Comment Period Health Advisory and Safe Eating Guidelines For Fish and Shellfish from the Sacramento River and Northern Delta (http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/so_cal/srnd041108.html)

Jimmy_M
08-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Striper and sturgeon are on there under the dont eat at all, lol.

Stripers and Sturgeon are on the list under specific bodies of water and the "do not eat" was advised for women and children, scroll down and it says for men 1 serving a week or 2 for Stripers.

Either way I think it's an over reaction...

BIG_ONE
08-07-2013, 10:11 AM
If we really want to get into the "health freak" zone...we should all stop eating beef and eat more seafood. Beef as we all know, is the number one cause of cardiovascular disease/attack(maybe they should have serving #'s on any beef packages). But I guess we can drink a few brew to clear that up can we? And yes, alcohol beverages has been known to reduce the rate of cardiovascular disease/attack(if you consume it at a proper quantity - which 90% of them guys/gals don't). All in all, seafood is still rated as one of the healthiest food to eat(compared to your everyday beef/pork/chicken)...maybe we all can be vegetarians(I know I won't - I can't even eat salad; don't ask me why LOL)? This is my opinion when it comes to "mercury in fish"...HAH...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

49erbassman
08-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Lmao. I know 80 year old men who eat steak and red meat 3+ times per week. It's not the food but all the crap we add or crap we use to preserve it that kills us.

Fish on!

CRABBY
08-07-2013, 11:41 AM
My Ex's family would by 5 gal. bottles of "BLESSED WATER" from their church and drink it on special occasions or when they are feeling sick.BEER will work much better!!!!!!!!:cheers:

kickinit
08-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Stripers and Sturgeon are on the list under specific bodies of water and the "do not eat" was advised for women and children, scroll down and it says for men 1 serving a week or 2 for Stripers.

Either way I think it's an over reaction...

It also says :heart1:Eating fish is good for your health. Fish have Omega-3s that can reduce your risk for heart disease and improve how the brain develops in unborn babies and children.

Jimmy_M
08-07-2013, 12:56 PM
It also says :heart1:Eating fish is good for your health. Fish have Omega-3s that can reduce your risk for heart disease and improve how the brain develops in unborn babies and children.

So much conflicting information you would think it was presented by our government... oh wait :action-smiley-077:

CAL.NDN
08-07-2013, 02:18 PM
All that bull crap i think its time to have me a couple servings of fish for dinner and mabey tomorrow to.

IronClad
08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Fish n chips sound kinda good for dinner.

anbu_yoshi
08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Mercury poisoning:

Minamata disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease)

Read this, freaked me out, then went to Long John Silvers. I understand the concern and need for caution, but personally I don't really care honestly.

I won't eat catfish unless its deep fried however. :duh:

49erbassman
08-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Mercury poisoning:

Minamata disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease)

Read this, freaked me out, then went to Long John Silvers. I understand the concern and need for caution, but personally I don't really care honestly.

I won't eat catfish unless its deep fried however. :duh:

Agh man foil wrapped catfish with seasoning and butter on the BBQ is the best!!

Fish on!

ef9boy88
08-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Less worried about the mercury they're finding in the fish than I am about the medications they're finding in them, like antidepressants that our water treatment system is not equipped to filter out.

anbu_yoshi
08-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Never liked catfish. Tried various forms and never did. Maybe its the Asian styles that I dislike considering that I like the deep fried variety. Its almost like a spongey, fat lump in soup form.

Side story regarding a catfish and a newbie that my buddy knew...

Guy caught a catfish, didn't know what to do with it, rinsed it off and threw it in the oven then ate it.

Got real sick after. Why? Didn't properly clean, didn't gut, probably even left the hook in there. :hitfish:

Cali Duck
08-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Less worried about the mercury they're finding in the fish than I am about the medications they're finding in them, like antidepressants that our water treatment system is not equipped to filter out.

First I've ever heard of this, what's your source?

Cali Duck
08-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Think I found your source...

Pharmaceuticals found in fish across U.S. - Health - Health care | NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29877241/ns/health-health_care/t/pharmaceuticals-found-fish-across-us/#.UgPGvo3VBaA)