PDA

View Full Version : Launching in Sausalito

jsantin
08-07-2013, 05:27 AM
I've been fishing this year out of Bodega but thing of trying to launch out of Sausalito this weekend because it is a lot closer to Elk Grove. It been many years since I've launched in Sausalito. Years ago we launched at the ramp on Turny St but I remember trying to find a place to park a trailer was a challenge. Any recommendations for using that launch?

Is the launch on Harbor still public and do they sell tray bait at the shop there? Again, it has been years since I've been on that side of the bay.

Thank you for any help and or suggestions.
john

RacerX
08-07-2013, 01:28 PM
called clippers on harbor they said they are closed to the public now... I would love to launch from horseshoe but theres no hose bib and im not sure where to washdown.(Any tips?) Looks like richmond is the best bet but adds 7 or 8 miles both ways in the boat... Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Seon
08-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I read that they closed that launch to the public.

kris k
08-07-2013, 03:20 PM
what's up with the ramp at fort baker. I've read of people launching there fairly recently, but wasnt able to find it last time we checked it out. I also read its a crummy ramp (small price to pay to avoid the choppy 9 miles to Berkeley in the afternoon)

GNappers
08-07-2013, 08:59 PM
My buddy and I are trying to figure out the same thing. His boat is in Richmond. We can launch out of the Richmond Rod and Gun but that would add many more miles to the trip and we can only return when the tide has barely gone out. We fished out of Sausalito and the bait shop and ramp are closed. Emeryville and Berkley are between 15-20 dollars for parking/launching. I think there is a coast guard ramp on the Sausalito side of the bridge.

RacerX
08-08-2013, 12:02 PM
That is the horseshoe bay ramp right on the inside of the bridge next to the coast guard station. From what I understand its a free ramp but I called the ranger station (as its a park ramp) and they said theres no hose bib or wash down. Anyone launch there? It's probley not a good idea to take the 2 hour drive home without flushing the salt out of the motor.

Skipjacker707
08-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I launched from Loch Lomond the other day. It's 20$ and does add a little mileage but oh well. That sucks clipper closed to the public

mrsockeye
08-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't worry about the boat washdown. The 9 choppy miles across the bay would be a much bigger factor in my mind. Think of how many boats are berthed at local marinas that don't get flushed out or washed down at all. They sit in the salt for months or years at a time. I would trailer my boat up and wash it down when I got home if I was you. I tow my boat 5 hours+ before I wash it down. I do have a very modern boat though, and it can handle some salt.

Skipjacker707
08-11-2013, 12:08 AM
I agree with having a area to flush your motor. 5+ hours equals that salt crystallizing in the motor I would think. But I'm no mechanic, just a boat owner that is extremely paranoid:)

Fins
08-11-2013, 02:10 AM
I agree with having a area to flush your motor. 5+ hours equals that salt crystallizing in the motor I would think.
To let you know where I'm coming from:
Experience: 15yrs car/truck, tractor/tailor(Big Rig), Hydraulic/tractor, 5yrs boat mechanic
10yrs computers, customer support, networking, project management.

Itís its not going to kill your boat motor if you wait but wait to long and damage is done. Its important you flush as soon as possible, but how long to wait before you flush your motor (i.e. length of time in salt water how warm is your motor on pull-out, how cold is the ambient weather) is a personal call just flush it before the water has a chance to evaporate and leave salt behind. With most engines, if you begin flushing while the engine is still warm, the thermostat will be open to allow the entire cooling system to be accessed and rinse right away; if you wait until the engine cools down you may have to operate it for several minutes in neutral before the thermostat opens. You have to flush your engine after using it in salt water (if you want it to last) otherwise the inside water jackets, thermostats and senders will malfunction. Once the water drains out of your engine (back home on the trailer) the salt remains, and not only does the salt remains but it starts to expand and clog the arteries of the engine. Salt is also a corrosive and the salt water running through an engine is like sand paper on the metal on the water jackets and other components inside.

That's my 25 cents worth done for the year. lol :stretcher:

Skipjacker707
08-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Use the salt away product too flush the motor with. Heard a lot of people swear by it..

JB14
08-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Salt away is great stuff!! I ALWAYS flush with it. The stuff breaks down salt like no other.

kris k
08-20-2013, 04:23 PM
So i did some recon last friday for my trip out the gate Sunday. Found a usable hose and parking nearby the launch at salitos. Unfortunately, In my excited state i neglected to consider tides...whoops. Showed up at 445 Sunday morning to find a big minus tide and 15 feet of mud exposed at the bottom of the ramp. Fall back plan, fort baker...same thing. Drove back to Richmond marina with my dunce cap on. As for the salmon fishing. Thumbs down. 5 hrs with no bites and saw no nets fly. Gave up for the last hour and pulled some nice rockfish in for dinner

Magnetwheel
08-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Fort baker does have a decent ramp but the concrete in the water is short. Obviously close to the fishing grounds.