PDA

View Full Version : out fishing in the rain

brittani.g
08-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Went out to Mott lake today in the rain with some nightcrawlers. Hubby went for a run while I caught my favorite snorkel nose turtles: spunky, funky, and spazz(I've caught them so many times I thought they needed names). After he got back I caught some more decent sized sunfish(?). Anyone have any suggestions for better fish at Mott lake on the fort Bragg reserve? I can't run yet with my physical therapy so I fish the whole time, I don't mind fishing though. ;)

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/mykitty111/20130816_195704.jpg

Katfish
08-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Went out to Mott lake today in the rain with some nightcrawlers. Hubby went for a run while I caught my favorite snorkel nose turtles: spunky, funky, and spazz(I've caught them so many times I thought they needed names). After he got back I caught some more decent sized sunfish(?). Anyone have any suggestions for better fish at Mott lake on the fort Bragg reserve? I can't run yet with my physical therapy so I fish the whole time, I don't mind fishing though. ;)

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/mykitty111/20130816_195704.jpg

Almost looks like a crappie....strange colors/patterns though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

brittani.g
08-16-2013, 10:23 PM
I thought so too, but he had that definite spot behind his gills. they like to fight, if that helps any.

Katfish
08-16-2013, 10:28 PM
It DID have a spot behind its gills? Hmm couldn't see that in the pic.

All sunfish fight hard :grin:

My dad always said if a bluegill could grow to ten or twenty pounds they'd put salmon and stripers to shame ;)

Katfish
08-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Possibly a warmouth... Kind of tough to tell though

brittani.g
08-16-2013, 10:35 PM
You got any advice for catching done bigger fish? Like a bass or anything other than a bullhead catfish. Bullheads are far too tiny, and we've caught too many recently anyways.

Katfish
08-16-2013, 10:38 PM
You got any advice for catching done bigger fish? Like a bass or anything other than a bullhead catfish. Bullheads are far too tiny, and we've caught too many recently anyways.
Well tell me how your fishing now.

How are you rigging your line? What size line? Hooks? Weights? Baits your using? Etc.

Oh and is that just a weird angle or are you using two bobbers? :grin:

Katfish
08-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Lures are great for bass. Top water is hot right now and there's not much more thrill than seeing a hog crush your frog.

brittani.g
08-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Tried crickets, red worms, nightcrawlers, frogs, power bait, NC rig, TX rig, power bait, store bought Shad (I know, horrible), and live little bluegills(freshly caught by me). Bobbers and sinkers and beads. I do have 2bobbers on this bc the weight is a bit too much. :P helps me cast further. No luck though.

Side note: the cat and mouse game with little.fish is fun, until you realize you've left you're beer sitting in rain for almost an hour!

brittani.g
08-16-2013, 11:05 PM
We use a wide variety or hooks and weights. But the line can support 20lbs if I remember correctly.

49erbassman
08-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Get some weighted bobbers. Have you tried senkos or drop shotting some rubber or live worms? Being your in NC it could be different but in Cali those methods catch some nice fish. Also try Carolina rigging some lizards or creature baits.

Fish on!

brittani.g
08-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Ill try. We have a salamander lure and do a lot of Carolina rigs. Just can't find a good spot off shore.

clb101
08-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Katfish has it right, what kind of reel are you useing? Also you mention 20 lbs ? Are you useing 20 lb test line? If so you my need to down size to 10 or 8 lb. it will make it easier to cast. Also when useing bait i find it better to put on a swivel and then put on 6 or 8 lb leader about 2 and a half feet long, you can put on a split shot up the leader half the way. Good luck and stay with it.

fishingfrieda
08-17-2013, 03:42 PM
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/45196-Shore-Fishing-around-Mott-Lake-amp-Ft-Bragg-in-general.
NC angler. Maybe some locals on there can help you out. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

FresnoJack
08-17-2013, 06:12 PM
My guess, too, is a warmouth. Probably an immature female.

Males have an orange spot at base of the dorsal fin.

Never got a chance to fish when I was on The Island.

Possibly a warmouth... Kind of tough to tell though