PDA

View Full Version : Saw a big one tonight, just out of range.

BigUnInDaBoat
08-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Hunted tonight on my 4.7 acres which backs up to a creek. Was not going to even go out until I saw the wind change and start blowing the smoke (the Rim fire is 12m away)out. So down to last 15m, I can hear what I know is a deer walking on dried oak leafs. I slowly move towards him...just a few more mins of light left, and he shows himself broadside walking slowly no idea im there, uphill.....only problem was he was at 65 yards. I'm not comfortable shooting past 50. Go figure he passed a spot I was going to still hunt from...need to learn to trust my instincts.

He looked like a large fork or 3x3 but the light was low and I was hard to tell, all I cared about was a legal buck!! Wasn't in the cards tonight and I left him walk with the light all but gone.

BUT IT WAS A BUCK

hooks
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Yeah, you did the right thing on the pass. A lot can happen from the time you release the arrow at those longer distances...like one step would do it. Feels good though don't it??

K-15
08-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Yeah, you did the right thing on the pass. A lot can happen from the time you release the arrow at those longer distances...like one step would do it. Feels good though don't it?? Well said,..and good for you for showing some sense and restraint,. Since you didn't spook him,..you got a good chance of putting your tag on him, Good luck! Mike

bretmoua
08-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Lol that's the same report from a different site. I know who you are now. Lol. Good luck on mailing him today and keep us updated.

BigUnInDaBoat
08-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Lol that's the same report from a different site. I know who you are now. Lol. Good luck on mailing him today and keep us updated.

Same, haha.

hooks
08-25-2013, 04:16 PM
http://youtu.be/rTyN-vvFIkE

bretmoua
08-26-2013, 07:32 PM
That's gotta be the longest Jeopardy music ever. LOL

miwokfisher
08-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Hunted tonight on my 4.7 acres which backs up to a creek. Was not going to even go out until I saw the wind change and start blowing the smoke (the Rim fire is 12m away)out. So down to last 15m, I can hear what I know is a deer walking on dried oak leafs. I slowly move towards him...just a few more mins of light left, and he shows himself broadside walking slowly no idea im there, uphill.....only problem was he was at 65 yards. I'm not comfortable shooting past 50. Go figure he passed a spot I was going to still hunt from...need to learn to trust my instincts.

He looked like a large fork or 3x3 but the light was low and I was hard to tell, all I cared about was a legal buck!! Wasn't in the cards tonight and I left him walk with the light all but gone.

BUT IT WAS A BUCK
been seein a nice forked horn 3 times now hes been stayin out to a safe distance between 80 and 100 yrds and the dry grass makes it damn hard to creep,but I will catch him slippin sooner or later.hope you catch that one slippin too.

BigUnInDaBoat
08-27-2013, 07:47 PM
been seein a nice forked horn 3 times now hes been stayin out to a safe distance between 80 and 100 yrds and the dry grass makes it damn hard to creep,but I will catch him slippin sooner or later.hope you catch that one slippin too.

I hit a 3x3 yesterday, still upset about it, no recovery, many hours spent looking.

Reel Fun
08-28-2013, 06:54 AM
My buddy shot over a 3x3 last weekend at 60 yrds. He took off his 60 pin the day before? Said it was not needed! Well he put it back on quick! Not sure if you guys saw it....and sorry for the hijack....but if you bowhunters know anyone looking for a sweet deal on a great bow....I have one on the classified board. Its like new! Bought last year for deer season and shot maybe 100 times if that. Its a Bowtech Diamond Outlaw (330 IBO speed) and I have all the extras.....matching quiver,upgraded sight,drop away rest,Tru Fire release, hard case etc.....all for $450 (paid over $900 just 12 months ago) Thanks...RF

WesternStriper
08-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Sorry about the hijack again. Since the Rim fire. The area I hunt there is toast. I like that place. All toast now... So for the people who bought D6 deer tag are feeling bad cause lucky I didn't buy D6 this year...

hooks
09-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Time for round #2......

BigUnInDaBoat
09-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Time for round #2......

Yea I saw a lot of bucks during archery in D6, shot at the same deer twice, hit him once, not mortally, bummed.

Lets hope general will be better.