PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on smokers

Katfish
08-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Well it's time to get a new smoker. My old one was just a little something I rigged up as a project out of an old 50s refrigerator.

I know a lot of you guys here have one and I wanted to get your opinion on what's best for the price and pros an cons.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

salmonid
08-21-2013, 08:43 PM
What's the budget?

My bro got a sweet one, but it's over a $1,000 with the accessories I think it's called "smoking it". My buddy got a Traeger wood pellet one that is pretty sweet too, plus it's a grill.

I just got a wood shipping crate from work and put in an electric hot plate on a temp controller and some oven racks. Works for me.

Good luck,

salmonid
08-21-2013, 08:45 PM
ps. katfish, my friend who found the lost puppy found a pit rescue group to turn her over to so hope it works out for the best. Not sure if he ever called you or not but I passed on the info, I think he wants to keep her for himself now, but we'll see.

Best,

Katfish
08-21-2013, 09:17 PM
What's the budget?

My bro got a sweet one, but it's over a $1,000 with the accessories I think it's called "smoking it". My buddy got a Traeger wood pellet one that is pretty sweet too, plus it's a grill.

I just got a wood shipping crate from work and put in an electric hot plate on a temp controller and some oven racks. Works for me.

Good luck,

Sounds like what I made from the fridge. Two hot plates a thermometer, racks, and a vent on top :)

Did its job

Budget is as cheap as possible for decent quality but not over 500. An that would be the absolute MAX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

SalmoClarki
08-23-2013, 07:53 PM
I've had a Bradley electric for 2 years now and love it. I also bought the cold smoking adapter which works great.

sportygirl
08-23-2013, 08:00 PM
I got the master build from bass pro shop!!! Love it!!! They had an online special for $200 tomorrow I'm smoking a ham turkey breast and some salmon

49erbassman
08-23-2013, 08:36 PM
You can get a damn good one for less than $500 bro. Shoot my $70 bullet has smoked the finest ribs,chicken,turkey,pork,steelhead you name it. I was looking at a propane one because my buddy takes his camping and uses it as a oven to cook biscuits and keep food warm. Best damn biscuits and gravy!!!

Fish on!

Jetspray
08-24-2013, 06:44 AM
I would say that the smoke source is dictated by what type of smoker you have. Most places have chips and whole wood like Lowe's, HomeDepot, WalMart, most grocery stores, most fishing/hunting stores. When it comes to shaved wood or biscuits/pellets it gets a little harder. I have both gas fed and wood fed smokers and like both. Large smokers are ok for large amounts of food for smoking but for most a smaller version works fine. I would make sure you can put some kind of water source in one to keep things moist.........Jetspray

PapaGreg
08-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Pretty much what jetspray said, depends on the amount you'll be smoking. I've got a Brinkman that I've had for years and still does a fine job. I can do around 8 pounds of salmon fillets on it at one time. Check out the advice/tips on here and then decide what works best for you.