PDA

View Full Version : Type of wood for carving homemade rapalas?

Tyeechinook
08-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Just wondering what type of wood is best for carving my own rapala type lures. And where I might be able to get the hardware (metal loop where u tie your line to, and for the treble hooks, lip, ect.). Thanks for any ideas or knowledge! I have an idea to try for the state record rainbow! Haha

Jetspray
08-24-2013, 04:39 PM
You might want to post on the lure & tackle building board.....Jetspray

redneckpunk
08-24-2013, 04:54 PM
You might want to post on the lure & tackle building board.....Jetspray

Thanks for the suggestion, I moved it

~RNP

Line Stretcher
08-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I believe the wood is balsa wood but there are several types of balsa. For the hardware, you can use Stainless Steel Leader material. I think 200# should work fine. I use 250# to make up my ultra light spreaders.

Marv
08-24-2013, 08:24 PM
janscraft.com - JansCraft.com has what you need. They even have the wood blocks, and the diffent type of precarved unpainted unfinished minnow lures. Plus everything thing else you need to build lures.

Jetspray
08-25-2013, 05:34 AM
janscraft.com - JansCraft.com has what you need. They even have the wood blocks, and the diffent type of precarved unpainted unfinished minnow lures. Plus everything thing else you need to build lures.

Here ya go......Jetspray

Search Results for wood (http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Search/wood.aspx)

AlbeeFishing
08-26-2013, 05:01 PM
AMERICA'S LARGEST SELECTION OF LURE BUILDING SUPPLIES! (http://lurepartsonline.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=lure-parts-online&gclid=CJb9pf61nLkCFe4-Mgod-GsALA)
I like this website for all of my supplies. I tried to use balsa but I wasnt happy with how soft it was. I tried to use a hard wood like maple and it was to hard to shape with my little Lathe. I have switched to useing Pine. It is hard enough and it also gives me a little weight at the same time. I am just starting out with makeing my own lures though. I would try different types and see what best suites your needs.

Hair Bear
08-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Wood carvers like to use linden, also known as, please don't shoot me, basswood.

Jetspray
08-27-2013, 05:18 AM
AMERICA'S LARGEST SELECTION OF LURE BUILDING SUPPLIES! (http://lurepartsonline.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=lure-parts-online&gclid=CJb9pf61nLkCFe4-Mgod-GsALA)
I like this website for all of my supplies. I tried to use balsa but I wasnt happy with how soft it was. I tried to use a hard wood like maple and it was to hard to shape with my little Lathe. I have switched to useing Pine. It is hard enough and it also gives me a little weight at the same time. I am just starting out with makeing my own lures though. I would try different types and see what best suites your needs.

Great site, thanks for the link:bananadevil::bananadevil::9997dp:.......Jetsp ray

AlbeeFishing
08-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Great site, thanks for the link:bananadevil::bananadevil::9997dp:.......Jetsp ray

Ya I like them. I also forgot to mention that they are fast on getting orders out. I ordered some stuff on a Monday night and got it on Wednesday.

Jetspray
08-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Ya I like them. I also forgot to mention that they are fast on getting orders out. I ordered some stuff on a Monday night and got it on Wednesday.

My only problem with ordering online is credit thieves, that is why I have Creditline & LifeLock to protect my interests. Paypal is a no go for me, because they nix the purchase of firearms and ammo, basically anit-gunners.......Jetspray

BeefCakeScout
09-12-2013, 01:16 PM
really depends on the action/depth/weight you are looking for. For bass cranks I use balsa. You can get TONS of it for cheap at any hobby shop(usually near the modeling supplies). I have used basswood,cedar, oak and even MDF. They all work. Just gotta put in some time.There are tips and tricks that you will learn through trial and error, or from guys that build lots of lures. If you have any questions, keep posting em up.