PDA

View Full Version : What is your go to "cheap" mono?

seeinred
08-25-2013, 04:54 PM
With $ getting tight in the redhouse I'm having to pinch where I've never had to pinch before...including my tackle box.

I'm looking at getting some mono and wanna know what the frugal folks are using. Maxima and p line are my typical picks but I'm looking into some alternatives. I've used ANDE in the past but its hard to find.

liverbass
08-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Izorline Platinum. You can get it pretty cheap at Sport chalet or Big 5.

Katfish
08-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Pline is all I use. The cxx is great.

and the flouroclear is spooled on almost all of my reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Line Stretcher
08-25-2013, 05:26 PM
I used to go for nothing but the best but to tell you the truth, there isn't one heck of a lot of difference. The differences can be found in magazines and in manufacturers claims but the reality is that only a very few very picky fishermen will ever be able to tell.

I now run Trilene or Izorline and I don't change it unless I notice a problem. So far I haven't but I keep extra fresh reels onboard just in case.

Most of my fishing is for some trout species and I put 12lb on every reel to ensure that no matter how much of a hurry I get in, I'll still have decent knot strength.

This past week I had 12 different people using my gear and not once did someone say "this must be cheap line" or "This lines too heavy". They just kept hauling fish in and smiling.

The bottom line for me is that I'm keeping money in my pocket and still catching the same amount of fish.

LURKER916
08-25-2013, 05:28 PM
BIGGAME!

Available at Walmart.... Cheap...and works great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
08-25-2013, 05:35 PM
+1 on the Bezerkeley Big Game.

Plug Bite
08-25-2013, 06:13 PM
My favorite go to cheap line is Flouroclear. It fishes well, has low visibility, and is a poor mans substitute for fluorocarbon. Another line that I really like for side drifting or bass fishing is McCoy "Mean Green." It casts very well, is strong as hell, and very limp with low memory. These manufacturer's should hire me as their PR Rep. Plug Bite

seeinred
08-25-2013, 06:54 PM
I used to go for nothing but the best but to tell you the truth, there isn't one heck of a lot of difference. The differences can be found in magazines and in manufacturers claims but the reality is that only a very few very picky fishermen will ever be able to tell.

I now run Trilene or Izorline and I don't change it unless I notice a problem. So far I haven't but I keep extra fresh reels onboard just in case.

Most of my fishing is for some trout species and I put 12lb on every reel to ensure that no matter how much of a hurry I get in, I'll still have decent knot strength.

This past week I had 12 different people using my gear and not once did someone say "this must be cheap line" or "This lines too heavy". They just kept hauling fish in and smiling.

The bottom line for me is that I'm keeping money in my pocket and still catching the same amount of fish.

I bet you only hear complaints when no one is catching fish....:angling:

That is a testament, if you can run that line with many different skill levels in the boat and have no issues with it.

That izorline is darn cheap and if works then its worth a shot.

Line Stretcher
08-25-2013, 07:15 PM
I bet you only hear complaints when no one is catching fish....:angling:

That is a testament, if you can run that line with many different skill levels in the boat and have no issues with it.

That izorline is darn cheap and if works then its worth a shot.

Give it a shot, it's surprisingly abrasion resistant.

tboyd
08-25-2013, 07:58 PM
+1 for flouroclear. Tough as hell, caught several 20 plus pounders last year on the 14 lb p line

Marv
08-25-2013, 09:19 PM
I have caught several trout over 3lbs. on Flouroclear 2lb. test. So I'm sure the big stuff is just as strong. Berkeley Xl (red box) is perfectly fine too.

Cheaper priced lines that work fine.

Berkeley XL (red box)

Berkeley big game

Stren magnathin

Pline

Spider wire

Bass pro brand

Basicly all of it works, just buy a brand you have heard of. If your buying a couple different sizes for different reels try a couple of the cheaper brands to see what you like.

redneckpunk
08-25-2013, 09:36 PM
all my light weight trout line is whatever I can find on sale in the size and quantity I need at the time. However, my heavier river gear is all either P-line or Cajun

~RNP

Jetspray
08-26-2013, 04:54 AM
To me I think it like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the gas mileage. I do not have a go to mono, I use most of it for leaders. Some swear by it and some swear at it, I am one of the latter. When fishing from shore and casting I like something that has "0" memory and does not foul up the eyes on the way our or turn into a curly screw fisherman's friend bird's nest. Fishing is not a cheap sport, the cheaper you go the more likely you will say goodbye to what your trying to bring in:happy::oregonian_winesmile.........Jetspray

49erbassman
08-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Believe it or not omniflex by zebco is pretty damn good. I used the 8,10 and 12# before. Used 10# for leader material steelie fishing this year with no issues, Landed a 15# one on it. I also use it on my kids bass rods and it holds up really good. They even make a braided line.

Trilene is my go to line for sure. Just landed two 19# salmon on 15# big game leader and my PB 28# fish came on 15# big game years ago

Fish on!

salmonid
08-26-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm a maxima fan these days, but I used to use big game for steelhead all the time, no problems at all.

Best,

seeinred
08-26-2013, 08:52 AM
To me I think it like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the gas mileage. I do not have a go to mono, I use most of it for leaders. Some swear by it and some swear at it, I am one of the latter. When fishing from shore and casting I like something that has "0" memory and does not foul up the eyes on the way our or turn into a curly screw fisherman's friend bird's nest. Fishing is not a cheap sport, the cheaper you go the more likely you will say goodbye to what your trying to bring in:happy::oregonian_winesmile.........Jetspray

I've used power pro and other braids...not my thing for constantly casting. Plus I rub on one rock and snap. I see just as much issue with braids as I see with mono it's more of a personal preference. But preference isn't the issue. It is $$ for me right now. A spool of power pro or braid is for more $$ than mono. That's why I posed the question to see what the "frugal" fisherman is using.

I'd never buy a ferrari. And fishing doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Line Stretcher
08-26-2013, 09:24 AM
I've used power pro and other braids...not my thing for constantly casting. Plus I rub on one rock and snap. I see just as much issue with braids as I see with mono it's more of a personal preference. But preference isn't the issue. It is $$ for me right now. A spool of power pro or braid is for more $$ than mono. That's why I posed the question to see what the "frugal" fisherman is using.

I'd never buy a ferrari. And fishing doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Here's a little tip for making even the cheap stuff work well. Find yourself unscented hair conditioner at your local food store, cut it 75% with water and put it in a spray bottle. Spray that on your line after it's spooled and let it dry for about an hour. After that a quick spritz occasionally will refresh it.

Or you can buy a bottle of KVD's Line & Lube. I seem to get the same results with either one and the hair conditioner goes a heck of a lot further.

FYI, I just tried this on a whim a month or so ago so I don't have any long term test results. I can tell you that it has not changed the number of fish I catch so I guess they don't mind it.

Also, when you're fishing lakes, line size, color and visibility matter very little. In streams it can make a huge difference because the predators are more prevalent overhead and the fish often spook easier.

Jetspray
08-26-2013, 10:45 AM
I like Steve's line lube solution +1 on that. I would not buy a Ferrari either, just sayin' sometimes you spend a ton oh dough on a pole and reel, then the line falls short. Some cheap mono's are inconsistent in their manufacture, you have lumps all over it, it curls right off the spool, thicker-thiner in spots, color variations all over, the polymers are poor quality. I'm just sayin' it can vary a lot, 10 lb may only be 3 lb line in different areas along the line. It does get very brittle quickly especially exposed to elements in the water........Jetspray

seeinred
08-26-2013, 10:52 AM
The lube idea is worth trying....do you lube as you spool or when your finished spooling?

I understand what your saying JS...again that's why I asked....trying to see if there was a particular brand that was a bit more reliable than the others.

I believe you usually get what you pay for and I've often been one to not give any attention to lines such as CAJUN or the BIG GAME....but there are guys on here that say they swear by it. Me having never used can't say whether its worth a shot or not. But if enough folks use it and say its worth trying then why not?

Line Stretcher
08-26-2013, 11:08 AM
The lube idea is worth trying....do you lube as you spool or when your finished spooling?

I've done both but haven't seen any difference. Spraying after spooling seems to work fine for me.

Typically, the line gets them most problems in the first 25' so when it does just peel that off and start fresh. I also spool only as much line as I think I'm going to need. Anymore is just a waste of line that will probably never get used but will deteriorate just like the rest.

For my top lines running at 100' back I put 300' of line on and 50' of fly reel backing. That's three spools for the cost of one 300yd spool of line or about $2.00 per reel using Izorline or Trilene.

Bear in mind that I'm talking about lake trout fishing here. They tend to run at you first trying to shake the hook and rarely run away. The fight usually begins the minute they see the boat or net.

Jetspray
08-26-2013, 02:40 PM
I lube as I spool, usually Ardent Line butter, but I also use Kevin VanDam's stuff and another called Tangle free (comes in 3 types). There is also a difference between levelwind reel and spinning reel with line. Levelwind can use most any line unless you are a casting expert and know how not to make a nest every cast. The thing about any type of lube is it reduces the friction of the line moving through the eyes and does not tend to hang back while the spool is moving (levelwind). If you do lube from the get go, wait until you have enough line on the spool before applying any, then reel some line in treat it, reel more line in treat it.....till done:margarita:.......Jetspray

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Line-Winders-Strippers-Tools%7C/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/103939380/Ardent-Line-Butter/704867.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fline-winders-strippers-tools%2F_%2FN-1100388%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103939380%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793 480%253Bcat104719680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104719680%3Bcat10393 9380

Ardent line butter

http://www.basspro.com/Kevin-VanDams-Line-and-Lure-Conditioner/product/66168/

Kevin Vandams

Line Stretcher
08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
I lube as I spool, usually Ardent Line butter, but I also use Kevin VanDam's stuff and another called Tangle free (comes in 3 types). There is also a difference between levelwind reel and spinning reel with line. Levelwind can use most any line unless you are a casting expert and know how not to make a nest every cast. The thing about any type of lube is it reduces the friction of the line moving through the eyes and does not tend to hang back while the spool is moving (levelwind). If you do lube from the get go, wait until you have enough line on the spool before applying any, then reel some line in treat it, reel more line in treat it.....till done:margarita:.......Jetspray

Ardent Line Butter : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Line-Winders-Strippers-Tools%7C/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/103939380/Ardent-Line-Butter/704867.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fline-winders-strippers-tools%2F_%2FN-1100388%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103939380%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793 480%253Bcat104719680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104719680%3Bcat10393 9380)

Ardent line butter

Kevin VanDam's Line and LureŽ Conditioner | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Kevin-VanDams-Line-and-Lure-Conditioner/product/66168/)

Kevin Vandams

Dave, up until recently I would apply it the same way but I found you need a lot less if you just spray it down good after it's spooled and let it sit for an hour. When you think about it, it's really only the first 100' or so that needs treating.

Jetspray
08-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Dave, up until recently I would apply it the same way but I found you need a lot less if you just spray it down good after it's spooled and let it sit for an hour. When you think about it, it's really only the first 100' or so that needs treating.

I have found less fouling doing what I do, sometimes in weather over here it is too cold to soak too......Jetspray

WhopperStopper
09-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Berkeley Big Game

Izorline Platinum

Maxima Crystal Ivory

SHM
09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
+1 on the Izorline Platinum

SHM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ef9boy88
09-05-2013, 04:14 PM
I have been using Izorline haven't had any fouling problems, or problems with it having shape memory, but then again, it has only been a year.

Line Stretcher
09-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I've been using Izorline for a while now and I like it. Just the other day I was having problems with line twist when running Wedding Rings. I change from 10lb Seguar FC leader material to Izoroline and today I had no problems whatsoever. That say's something for its ability to hold it's shape.

However, I was fishing for LL Steelhead and caught 4 nice fat SMB's instead. Do you think the fact that Izorline was developed for rock fishing has anything to do with that? LOL.. Nah, just kidding but I did catch the smallies.

Hamachi_Kama
09-13-2013, 03:56 PM
BIGGAME!

Available at Walmart.... Cheap...and works great!

I fish spectra 90% of the time. However, I topshot my offshore rigs with Berkeley Big Game Mono. It's the best mono I've ever used and perfect for offshore applications. A bit narrower in diameter and ultra-limp, you can flyline a bait with ease. Many tough pelagics have been slayed on Big Game. And indeed, the price is way right. I won't fish any other mono.

Line Stretcher
09-13-2013, 05:03 PM
As a sort of lame test, I spooled up two reels with Sunline Natural and two with Izorline XXX Super Co-Polymer. I ran the infamous line twisting wedding rings on swivels and after about an hour of trolling the Sunline was a mess. I tried letting the bare line run behind the boat but it never cleared and even if it did, I wouldn't have trusted it. The Izorline on the other hand was like new without a single twist.

Two of the rod's were identical 8'6" Loomis's with Diawa Lexa 300's and the other two were identical Loomis's 7' U/L downrigger rods with Diawa Steeze's.

Why did the swivels fail to do their job? This wasn't a scientific test by any means but my guess is that the line is too soft which allows it to twist before it stores enough energy to actually turn the swivel.

Based on what happened, I will not continue to use the Sunline Natural for leader material either. I think it would have to be affecting the way the lures are running in the water and I don't think that would be as the manufacturer intended.

ef9boy88
09-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Ya it's funny too because when I bought the izorline it was from bass prowhile I was buying a reel to replace one the mysteriously broke I was looking at a more expensive line and the guy talked me into izorline so I bought a big spool.

Line Stretcher
09-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Ya it's funny too because when I bought the izorline it was from bass prowhile I was buying a reel to replace one the mysteriously broke I was looking at a more expensive line and the guy talked me into izorline so I bought a big spool.
Pretty much the same with me. I was trying to find something that would hold up better for the long run and the Izorline was what they offered. I get it in 1100 yard spools of 12lb which is what I commonly run. For the tests I did, I was running 12 and 8 lb lines.

Jimmy_M
09-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Believe it or not omniflex by zebco is pretty damn good. I used the 8,10 and 12# before. Used 10# for leader material steelie fishing this year with no issues, Landed a 15# one on it. I also use it on my kids bass rods and it holds up really good. They even make a braided line.

I've used Omniflex for small species of fish and on my daughters pole many times. It's not a bad line and is SUPER cheap.

Jimmy_M
09-17-2013, 04:17 PM

I've started using Izorline thanks to some recommendations from fellow sniffers and I'm very impressed with it. It's comparable to Maxima at a fraction of the cost. The abrasion resistance is great, I've landed several large salmon on it this season with no issue.

BIG_ONE
10-02-2013, 11:02 AM
All these fishing lines and no one talks about Ande...I feel hurt.

:frown:

WhopperStopper
10-17-2013, 06:41 PM

I know Ande has a lot of world records to its name and if I'm not mistaken has the most world records, but I've only used it once and had terrible experiences with it. I bought a spool of 12# and it had tons of memory, it was stiff, the line warped a little when tying knots, and it didn't seem to be all that abrasion resistant. Now for big game blue water palagics I don't think much of any of that is an issue because of the giant conventional reels, memory shouldn't be much of a problem, warping when tying knots is propably not an issue because of the use of crimps, and abrasion resistance not much of an issue because all yhe open water verses fishing in a river with rocks, wood, and all the other stuff line rubs against. Just my opinion, but not a great line for me.

Big game is still at the top of my list and then izorline platinum for cheaper lines.

My favorite, which is really not too much more expensive than the cheap stuff and is well worth the money is pline cxx and izorline xxx copolymer

sPooOOk
01-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Izorline gets my pick if you like Maxima.

F33rNoFish
01-16-2014, 08:58 PM
I used to use pline cxx line on all my rigs but last year I moved to this copolymer stuff. Tough as freakn nails! On rocks, open water, rivers, lakes. All over. Works amazing and just freakn tough.

Caught my first keeper lingcod on 10lb test. Fish fought amazingly through rocks and I had no problems landing the fish.

http://bit.ly/1kFtlwz

Pick your line strength...

Axminster2
01-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Ande all the way. If the knot isn't perfect I retie. I landed an eighty pound soup fin from the shore with a 25# ande leader and 100# spider wire stealth mainline. Abrasion resistance and shock strength were obviously no problem.

CAL916BEAR
01-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Bass pro shops mono... U can get a giant roll for really cheap and its comparible to trilene xxl which I normally use

Sent from my SCH-R920 using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Fletcher
12-24-2014, 08:05 PM

ande is great stuff- provided you use their tournament label. guaranteed to break at or below it's rated strength and therefore there is great attention to uniformity. their regular stuff is a bit stiff as has been mentioned and thick. no doubt most of the records were made using the tournament grade of ande.

i rate a mono based on it's diameter. big game and izorline are incredibly tough, that's true- but they are thicker and break over their labeled strength. i remember reading somewhere that biggame 12lb broke at over 14lbs of load. the diameter is equal to 15lb of most premium line. so it really wouldn't qualify as a 12lb line, would it?

i'm fast becoming won over by pline as my first choice. it does seem to stand up quite well under all conditions and the diameter of most of their products is equal to or below that of the competition. the price is quite affordable for the majority of their offerings.

considering all the dough i've spent on rods, reels and lures, i have no problem forking over a few bucks extra on line. afterall, it's the only thing that connects me to the fish. there's a lot better areas to budget on first, IMO.

Hossfish
12-19-2018, 12:36 PM
pink ande

iceman382
01-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Trilene big game

BigUnInDaBoat
01-03-2019, 10:42 AM
+1 on the Bezerkeley Big Game.

5 years ago. I wish I would've known I was bound to break off some double digit lings on an epic ling bite while using some 40lb Trilene big game that was bought from walmart. **** must of been old, broke at no more than 10lbs.

I use Ande now. Problem solved.

Markj2k4
03-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Trilene big game

This or trilene XL if needing a lighter test line