PDA

View Full Version : How many years you been smoking salmon?

Chetco
08-26-2013, 07:56 PM
50+ old Guy.

sportygirl
08-26-2013, 08:05 PM
1 month and its turning out real salty... Maybe brining too long? Or the brine??

salmonid
08-26-2013, 08:28 PM
With my old man's guidance I guess 20 years. Once you get it figured out, it's really pretty easy though, nothing to be intimidated about.

Best,

Jetspray
08-27-2013, 05:22 AM
1 month and its turning out real salty... Maybe brining too long? Or the brine??

Problem with too much salt is how much you brine with and if you rinse off the brine. Here is a recipe you might like......Jetspray

Smoked Salmon Recipe, Smoking Salmon, How To Smoke Salmon, The Best Smoked Salmon Recipe, Smoked Salmon Video, Salmon Recipes (http://whatscookingamerica.net/SmokeSalmon.htm)

Jetspray
08-27-2013, 05:25 AM
50+ old Guy.

Not long enough, haven't been salmon fishing since I moved here in 2006. Last trip was to Monterey in the late 90's,I also did one trip after I bought my boat in 2003 out of Half Moon Bay. I need a fix and it will come soon, maybe lake Safeway or lake Costco.......Jetspray

49erbassman
08-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Never! I will be giving it a shot this year. I did smoke some Steelhead this year that turned out good.

And I would agree with Jetspray on the brine being the cause for too salty. I have read a lot on smoking meats and a good or bad brine can make or break your food. I rarely use a brine but I love the smoky flavor the most.

Jetspray
08-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Never! I will be giving it a shot this year. I did smoke some Steelhead this year that turned out good.

And I would agree with Jetspray on the brine being the cause for too salty. I have read a lot on smoking meats and a good or bad brine can make or break your food. I rarely use a brine but I love the smoky flavor the most.

One thing that can overpower anything is too much smoke or too long an exposure time making the salmon like shoe leather (beyond Jerky). If you ever think you have gone too far just buy some salted cod and it will change your perspective on how salty things can go..........Jetspray

PapaGreg
08-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Off and on for about 15 years. I suggest if you're just starting out, start with the SIMPLE/EASY recipes. Whether you brine or not is up to you. I prefer to brine, and if you do, make sure you follow the suggested brining time. The one thing I've found that makes the most difference is the smoking time. You have to KNOW you're smoker, I cut the smoking time by about one hour on most recipes. That's due to trial and error, and you will probably experience the same thing. Main thing is to have fun and, hopefully, ENJOY your endeavor!

BIG_ONE
09-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Half a year for me...LOL. Majority of mine are either steamed, grilled, or baked. I like it over smoked from my personal recipe.

:teaseku9:

mikeandkristy
09-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Eight years. Did it at first for kicks but ever since I am asked daily for it. Can't make it fast enough. Sweet and spicy!