PDA

View Full Version : Belden Forebay?

Willport
08-29-2013, 12:03 PM
About halfway between Butt Lake and the Feather River Canyon, Beldon Forebay looks like a decent small lake, with both Butt Creek and the North Fork of the Feather flowing in.

Has anyone fished it? any luck? PM me you don't want to put it up on the boards.

Thanks

Owlman2
08-29-2013, 12:31 PM
About halfway between Butt Lake and the Feather River Canyon, Beldon Forebay looks like a decent small lake, with both Butt Creek and the North Fork of the Feather flowing in.

Has anyone fished it? any luck? PM me you don't want to put it up on the boards.

Thanks

I've fished it.

No boating is allowed, and shore access is very limited because most of the shoreline is very steep and/or overgrown. It is primarily a smallmouth bass fishery, although it also contains trout. I caught a bunch of smallmouth in there while targeting trout, which would be fine, except all the bass were in the 6"-10" range.

The upper end, where the powerhouse discharges, offers decent access but is also heavily pressured by people staying at the campsites down the road. The river downstream from Belden Forebay is regularly stocked, but I am pretty sure the forebay is not.

Every so often reports are publicized about large rainbows coming out of the forebay. I don't doubt there are some large trout in there (there are some large trout in most of these deep forebays) but I think largely these reports are exaggerated to draw paying guests to the privately run campgrounds and other facilities in the area. I have that opinion because all of the positive reports about fishing Belden I've heard have come from highly "commercialized" sources rather than from the actual experience of fishermen I trust....or at least who have no axe to grind.

So I would say....if you are camping in the area...sure go wet a line in Belden. But I for sure would not travel there to fish Belden...particularly considering it is sort of in the middle of nowhere and not easily accessed from anywhere.

Willport
08-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the insight. I've driven by it a ton, on the way from Almanor to the Canyon, but oddly, never saw anyone fishing it. I had a vision of it being this great, relatively undiscovered, spot. I'm glad you cleared that up. Back to the powerhouse channel! thanks

GoneCountry
08-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Last time I fished that area ws in the 1990's I got better results fishing the tributary just a little further up at Caribou. I base camped at caribou and fished further up stream and did very well.