PDA

View Full Version : Dave Davis Trolling Flashers? Application?

newt5005
08-30-2013, 09:36 PM
I have had a set of 7 blade Dave Davis trolling flashers I have used on Oroville, Englebright and Lake Davis itself where I have thrown them out in front of a flatfish to see if anything hits, but I am so unfamiliar with my application of the actual rig I am not even sure I am using it for the right type of fish (trout in those cases). Are Dave Davis flashers used for trout? Small Mouths? And beyond that, are they good at actually catching what they are designed for? Maybe a fellow troller can help me out on that front. Thanks guys.

hooks
08-31-2013, 06:56 AM
I have caught many a trout with Dave Davis flashers at Tahoe, Stampede, Boca, Prosser, Jackson Meadows etc.....

Always used them in combination with a live minnow or night crawler.

Flashers...2 to 3 foot leader....bait

IMHO Ford Fenders work better....especially the hammered 50/50

Line Stretcher
08-31-2013, 07:35 AM
I have caught many a trout with Dave Davis flashers at Tahoe, Stampede, Boca, Prosser, Jackson Meadows etc.....

Always used them in combination with a live minnow or night crawler.

Flashers...2 to 3 foot leader....bait

IMHO Ford Fenders work better....especially the hammered 50/50

Agree, if you look at the way they are designed it should imitate smaller fish moving through baitfish and eating. If you troll a live minnow or night crawler behind it, it should look like it was hit by the other fish and left behind. This is what trout look for since it is low energy exertion and high energy rewards.

They seem to work all year but will be the most productive during the spring and fall hatches. Try to size your hook and baits according to the size of the hatch. Right now it should be about 1 to 1-1/2 inch lures or bait (half a mini night crawler at most) and a #8 hook for trout of any size. By this time next month you can up size to a # 6 and a full mini crawler and in late Oct you can go with a large threaded night crawler and a # 4 because the trout will be more aggressive.

When you look at finishes, it's thought that the coppers and brass work better on cloudy days and when the water clarity isn't good. The chrome work good on clear days with medium clarity water and the hammered work great in really clear water on a bright sunny day. However, the caveat is, if one isn't working, switch, because on any given day, the fish will make up the rules.

Regarding bass fishing with them. Yes they can work but I've only been successful when I drift them on a breezy day. It's a totally different method than how they are designed to work.