PDA

View Full Version : Bodega 41Lb Ling!!!

phishhead
07-18-2005, 09:35 AM
A friend went out of Bodega a couple weeks ago and caught this 41Lb Ling!!

http://www.msrecycling.com/fish/Picture%20009.jpg

:o :o :o
Captain said it was the biggest he had seen out of there in 30yrs!

Fishbutt21
07-18-2005, 10:08 AM
looks like Rick powers put your buddy onto at least one good fish

mike22ca
07-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Sweet fish man, definitly gotta catch me a hog like that. Good job!

brian_m
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
nice fish...i was out with captain dave that same day....lots of lings off the point there!

The_Reel_Won
07-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Yeah! I like it ;)

triggerfish
07-18-2005, 08:55 PM
I was waiting to see a picture of it.nice fish! was it a hitchhiker? or was it caught on a jig?

fathom
07-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Nice fish! Where out of bodega was it caught?

Rusty_Hooks
07-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Nice job.....I expect we'll see a few of these this year...

I see full bags of fish too...a very good sign

and wobbly pops too....must have been a good day all around ;) ;D 8)

Holy_Mackerel
07-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Dang, that is a monster!! Nice! ;D

LingSlayer
07-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Very Nice!!

Snappy_McBite
07-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Phishead,

you are envied on that catch. Great job on landing the lingcod. he must of been eating all those undersize lings we threw back last year. ;D ;D ;D

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-19-2005, 05:43 PM
That's a real nice fish, it's too bad he killed it though all the big lings like that are the females.

When one thinks of the severial million eggs she won't drop this year to help replenish the already depleted resource it might give one the thought to cut a big girl like loose in the future and settle for a smaller fish to take to the table.

>>>Captain said it was the biggest he had seen out of there in 30yrs!<<<< Yeah I'll bet he did, and there's a good reason for it too.

TahoeJeff
07-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Yeah sure, it's an awesome fish, but the "Humbolt Treehugger" is absolutely right. Maybe if some of the giant female Lahontan Cutthroat spawners were released in Lake Tahoe 100 years ago, there might still be some smaller specimens for us to catch. I know, totally different environment and species but it's the hook 'em and cook 'em, endless resource mindset.

drstressor
07-19-2005, 08:48 PM
I'd have let it go. A couple of you guys should wise up. There is a reason that the season is so short and the limits are so low. Keep the medium sized ones and let the big mammas go if you want to maintain what's left of the fishery.

The_Reel_Won
07-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Lings are not a "depleted resource" They are every where. You dont see too many that size because you keep fishing the same area or reefs. Venture out a bit and you will see for yourself. Another reason is because you stop fishing when you catch your keepers. Try fishing catch and release all day on a lightly pressured reef. Don't buy the hype about lings. Remember last year 30" bull ****? Actually it was an eye opener. By throwing back all the 24" lings we ended up catching monsters all last year. Any way nice ling!!

That's a real nice fish, it's too bad he killed it though all the big lings like that are the females.

When one thinks of the severial million eggs she won't drop this year to help replenish the already depleted resource it might give one the thought to cut a big girl like loose in the future and settle for a smaller fish to take to the table.

>>>Captain said it was the biggest he had seen out of there in 30yrs!<<<< Yeah I'll bet he did, and there's a good reason for it too.

brian_m
07-19-2005, 10:00 PM
i agree with The_Reel_Won on the subject...
there are plenty more of those around!!!! you catch all the lil ones before pass your line by a slug like that!

so no to tree huggers

Snappy_McBite
07-20-2005, 06:32 AM
few years ago a guy cuaght a 48lb ling with vince on the calico. you can see it on their big fish section of the website. I love all these people that say release, release, release. You know if they had that bad boy or as they say female on their line, would they really release it??? I dont know of many people that would actually let it back. I know i wouldnt, i would want to show everyone i know. Not to mention he won the pot (for you humbolt people, it isnt the one you smoke) i am talking about the charter boat money for biggest fish. What is better if you dont have your own boat than catching the biggest fish and having the entire trip almost paid for???

if you want to look at another perspective:
Actually that fish being caught will allow other rockfish to live longer, can you imagine how many other rockfish and whole crabs that thing ate per day?? I am sure all the other fish are saying, "so long sucker, now we dont have to worry about that bully!!"

may all your fishing luck be as good as fishead with his 41 lb ling

ITUKAWAL
07-20-2005, 07:21 AM
MEGA-LING for sure. Nice catch phishhead. You're absolutely right Doc. C&R needs to be a prudent and intentional practice everywhere especially in the ocean eco-system. Decades of neglect is going to come back to haunt us all.

drstressor
07-20-2005, 07:39 AM
I don't like to argue with folks who already know everything. But I'll just point out a few things and let it drop.

1) The fisheries people collect data over most of the Pacific coast, not just a few local reefs. Commercial catch logs, sport fisheries, submersible studies, and test fisheries all document the decline in ling populations and a change in the population structure toward smaller fish.

2) You can't judge the state of a fishery from catch rates at a few inshore reefs. Particularly with the closed seasons we now have. Lings move inshore to spawn each winter and some larger fish re-populate the preferred inshore habitats. Since the local fish get depleted by fishing pressure, many of the transient spawners remain inshore. So the fishing is pretty good at the preferred habitats early in the season until the larger fish are culled out. This will happen each season until most of the large long lived spawners are depleted from the larger surrounding population.

Keeping large lings is a personal decision. But stating that the ling population is in great shape is nonsense. Every fishery in decline goes through the same process. Fishermen continue to do well at the best spots until the fishery collapses. The outlying fish just keep repopulating the best habits until the they are nearly gone. I've seen it happen in my own experience with stripers in the North East in the '70's, cod in the North Atlantic in the 70's and 80's, and grouper and snook in Florida in the '80's. Just before the collapses they used to say "If you know what you're doing, you can still catch plenty of fish". I know because I was one of those guys saying that.

GXC6
07-20-2005, 07:41 AM
An angler could fish for years and never catch a pig like that. I wouldn't throw it back either. Fire up the grill and put the rest in the freezer. There is no shortage of Lincod in the ocean. We are just waiting for them to get over 24 inches so we can keep'm. I throw back 3 or 4 every time I go out.
Great Job!!!
PismoG

Rock_Hopper
07-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Man, the ignorance on this board is freakin' amazing.

It's none of my business what a person does with a legal fish he catches but, like drstressor mentions, if you think there's an endless supply of lings out there, or if you even think the lingcod fishery is in "great shape" then you need to wake the **** up.

You guys yelling tree hugger are probably the same ones that would've thrown a dead, smaller ling overboard to keep that big one.

Not to mention you're also the reason that a lot of the people who used to post good info here aren't around anymore.

Anyway, nice fish to the person who landed it.

redherring
07-20-2005, 09:58 AM
I have to agree with drstressor and rock hopper that our fisheries aren't as healthy as one might think. I believe that alot of it is attributed to pollution and commercial "over" fishing, I don't think that sportfishermen can do as much damage as those two, but we still need to do what we can to help out. Ever since I started fishing about 15 years ago, I can tell you that in this short time period the quality of fish caught, no matter what species, just isn't what it use to be. There isn't an endless supply of natural resources no matter what it is, whether it be oil, trees, or fish. And the way we consume these things way out paces the time it takes to replenish them. Just my .02 cents.......

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-20-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm the last person you ought to refer to as a tree hugger...fact is I think that's funny.

I'm more likely to shoot one of those spotted owls and cook it over an old growth redwood fire.

(They taste like crap though so you need to use a lot of KC Masterpeice and wasabi.)

I've been a commercial fisherman and a sport fisherman and the man that caught this fish was perfectly within his leagl and moral rights to keep the fish... end of story.

However, I know the biomass is on a decline and again will state that we fishermen need to step up to the mark and do what we can to ensure that it will survive.

If we don't you can rest assured that the real "Tree Huggers" will force more MPLA's on us, shorter seasons, smaller bag limits, closed seasons or no seasons at all.

If you think that I'm just spouting BS then you better think back a ways and compare the seasons and bag limits from say ten years ago to what we have today.

Anyone remember what they did to the barracuda fishery in So Cal and the Calico bass years ago?

They over fished the cuda and it was years before it recovered same with the bass, we came close to loosing those fisheries perminately folks.

I feel that the days of we fishermen killing every big fish we hook are over and that before we kill that fish on the end of our line we should give a moments thought about the resource and what its loss will mean.

Now days were I to hook into we’ll say a 50 pound California halibut I’d be torn between taking it home for the pictures and the brag or cutting her loose to spawn out those 5 million or so eggs she’ll produce this year and help ensure the sustainability of the resource.

I know that the 50# fish wouldn’t be that great as table fare as the larger the fish the coarser their flesh, when they are 15-20# they’re a lot better eating.

In the case of this 41 pound ling it’s the same issue, the death of a large female and the loss of the five million eggs she’ll produce.

I won’t deny that I’d have some serious temptation to keep a fish like that too but I’d have cut her loose.

Again, I guess that as I get a bit older I see things differently but I seriously feel that we sport fishermen and women had better do what we can to help the resource ourselves as if we don’t we’ll see more “Help” forced on us in the form of MPLA’s, shorter seasons and lower bag limits and quota’s.

I'm sorry, if some were to think back ten years all they would remember is dirty diapers. ;D

phishhead
07-20-2005, 02:33 PM
WOW!
I didnt think posting a pic would cause soo much trouble!
I didnt catch it , a friend caught it and I dont know all the specific details.

How many of you fishers go out on a party boat to catch and release ??? every one Ive been on, I have never seen anyone release a legal fish because it was too big ;)
I did release a huge ling last year in Sitka Alaska because it was too big (they are now a slot fish up there and must be released bigger than 48") but would have kept it if I could!
I have released other species (largemouth,stripers,steelhead and others) but I think I would have kept the 41lber too.
to each there own I guess! ::)

brian_m
07-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Rock_Hopper, i second that...i dont throw back any dead lings and small lings...i catch what i need but if i ever catch a pig like that i wouldnt dream of throwing it back.

The_Reel_Won
07-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Sounds good huh?. ;) I say it's B.S. !! They who collect the data have been wrong so many times it's sick. Again the reason you don't see the size and quantity of twenty or more years ago is because the majority of people who fish keep targeting the same areas. Of course as the season goes on the catch is slimmer. Just how much pressure can you put on a reef? Well lets see? A lot if you ask me because every year all the charter boats and sport fishers hit the same spots. Year after year, after year, decades worth. I'm constantly amazed they catch any fish at all in those same areas. But year after year there they are. And their not just transients that move in. Look at the size. usually a smaller grade of fish. These are local fish and from nearby locations. My point is this. Spread out and find other reefs to hammer. Last year we didn't hit one spot twice. Also I didn't see any one around. Most guys are used to running to the same old area's or are limited to their range due to fuel cost, vs running their business and making a worth while profit. Move around and target areas that are not pounded and tell me then the ling population or rock fish is in trouble. B. S.!! Of course all the fisheries all around the world are in trouble, I've seen the Discovery channel special too. LoL But it's NOT the sport fisher man who has put the hurt on our biomass. Was it? Noooooo. But I'm talking about our coast. And the ling population. When I was a kid the fishing pressure was a lighter. Now with more people and more dependable boats and affordable electronics the fishing pressure is huge. Yet the same old spots still produce. I for one am sick of hearing that the sport fisherman is responsible for the decline of our fisheries. >:( I personally think that we alone, can't put a dent in it. But the commercials there lays you problem. I personally believe that if you want sea food? Go catch it!! We should not commercially harvest any wild animal, If you can't safely farm it commercially ? Then leave it alone commercially. End of story. If this pisses of any commercial harvesters so be it!! But I will say it again we just the sport fisherman, who fishes for the sport of it. Who luves being out there catching fish and everything that it entails and does not do it just for the money? Can not hurt our local fisheries. Imagine if there was no commercial take of any fish off of our coast? What so ever? No rock cod, no Halibut, no Salmon take or Crab? No Albacore. If it stopped right now. Imagine the fishing in five years? ten? And the tree lovers? The Ocean doesn't belong to then and as long as we keep proving them wrong then all they can do is snivel. Now I don't know about you guys but fishing has never been better. I and others I know are enjoying a great fishery. the Salmon season's have been hot and the early year predictions were up not down. The crabbing for dungee great!! Especially this year. Excellent grade of rock and ling. Despite all the doom and gloom. So where is this decline I keep hearing about? WHERE? I'm not turning a blind eye to the over fishing off of our coast. I'm saying we the sport fisherman did not cause the problem! And sadly can't fix it. So I say to you if you catch your wining fish on that charter boat or you land your fish of a life time? Keep it proudly. Because lets face it that ONE fish is not going to change anything compared to the MASS SLAUGHTER that goes on every day by those that target those same fish for a profit. Oh yeah nice fish to who ever caught it? LoL

PS throw back a dead ling? What are you talking about? Are you saying this is happening on party boats? Well thats just sad. But I dont believe it. In front of all those people? If not? So where have you seen some one throwing back a dead ling to keep a bigger one? Makes me wonder. ::)

Snappy_McBite
07-20-2005, 05:46 PM
People really have to pipe up and spoil a great catch. That person should feel blessed that he had a great moment to remember and tell his kids about when he is older. Isnt that what some of the parts of fishing are all about??? The great fish stories of the giant fish that was lost or caught. I really think it is sad that a person cannot feel great about his wonderful catch after sharing it will all of us. I guess some people feed on negativity, and i suspect the reason being is that they have never experienced an awesome day on the water like most of us had, and that is why we(most of us) continue to venture out on the great big blue in hopes to catch that fish that we will be telling our kids about. If i havent said it already CONGRATS TO THE MAN WHO CAUGHT THE BIG FISH

Team_Sheryl_Lee
07-20-2005, 06:30 PM
the stink got stirred
my post got deleted
and i say way to go on a nice fish

TSL

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-20-2005, 07:43 PM
You seem quite fond of calling names and making inferences about people Brian.

I haven't responded to them as they are just not worth the effort, these boards are for fishing and opinions about fishing and that's what I posted... An opinion.

You and I may not see eye to eye on the issue of releasing or keeping big fish but there's no need to call each other names.

How would you feel if someone assumed that you were a Volvo driving yuppy wine snob faggot just due to the fact you live in Napa?

I'm sure that's a long way from reality and not the truth of who you really are so please give it a break and let's agree to dissagree about the issue and not get personal about it.

You have a wonderful evening. ;D

Farrier_Frank
07-21-2005, 04:51 AM
Interesting thread. Plenty of food for thought. What started as an innocent post of a friends big fish turned into a heated red/blue debate. And, with a few exceptions, remained civil. But what kept me reading was the quality of writing used to express some of the opinions. And now it's decision time for me: I managed to score a three day hitchhike out of Bodega the first week in August.

Being a freshwater fisherman I am keenly aware of how fragile the fisheries are in my neck of the woods and long ago quit keeping the big ones. The only memories that remain of the "endangered" big fish I now catch are framed and hanging on the wall. Had I not read this thread I would have kept that 41 lb Ling, too. But now, if I'm lucky enough to catch one like that, I think I'll take a picture and watch it swim away.

brian_m
07-21-2005, 05:58 AM
im sorry for the commet i made Jan...its just the way you said it...i thought you were trying to say its bad to get lings..i was wrong, no hard feels?

Farrier_Frank
07-21-2005, 06:25 AM
My hat's off to you Brian for posting that apology. It takes backbone to step back up to the plate and acknowledge an error. You just went up a notch in my book.

Threads, like this one turned into, are important in that they allow differences of perspective to be viewed by all. They only go down hill when emotions rule and mud gets slung. If only some of the adults would wake up and keep the banter civil the world would be a more pleasant place to live.

Hogsbro
07-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the perspective Frank. I don't mind the differences of opinions that are going on on this thread. If everyone keeps it civil then no action is needed, but when it deteriorates into name calling then posts get deleted and modified. Keep it civil and have fun!

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-21-2005, 09:04 AM
;D Thanks Brian, no offence intended here either and none taken. Just a differnce in perspective that's all.

One comment however, the party boats (And I worked the deck too on day boats and long range) make it very difficult to release fish as the "Count" is what makes tomorrows load of passengers and that days paycheck.

So this guy would have taken flack from the crew if he'd have wanted to cut her loose as they would have viewed that fish as a full load tomorrow type catch.

Ah well, like I said no harm, no foul. and I'll leave you with two thoughts...

Halibut is the other white meat and swimbaits are the greatest fish catching invention since the hook. ;D

Jan

LingSlayer
07-21-2005, 09:45 AM
"How would you feel if someone assumed that you were a Volvo driving yuppy wine snob gay person just due to the fact you live in Napa?"

Thats funny!

One thing I have seen aboard charter boats that I found disturbing is the way they handle the smaller lings. I was out on the Trek II a while back. The deck hands would grab the line, pull the ling up out of the water and give the line a good hard jerk, ripping the hook straight through the fish. It seems to me that all those fish would have a lot better chance of living if they took the 2 seconds it takes to remove the hook.

Phishhead ~ that is a BEAUTY!! Good job!

Tight lines,
LS

Rock_Hopper
07-21-2005, 09:51 AM
DANG!, I missed the name calling. Too bad, as it was probably directed at me! ;D

Flipper266
07-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Id like to say that after reading this whole thread it has made me think differently about 2 things.
#1. Going out on charter boats. I do not own a boat, only a kayak, so my chance of ever going way out are slim to none unless I hook one of those monster lings and he pulls me offshore...If the above mentioned actions are indeed taking place on charter boats I sure as heck would not want to support that industry at all. So its really important for people not to slander any boat in particular as it would definately be bad for their business. Take a look at how it has chnged my opinion(CONSUMER)..

#2. Of course I dream of catching the big one and eating it. Who doesnt? But to be honest with all of you I do not know how to distinguish between a fat male fish or a fat female fish who could reproduce...So that means to me that the big-big-uns go back. Never really thought in terms of one fish dead = millions of eggs dead.

So this thread with all of the different opinions really opened my eyes to some important points to consider. Thanks for all your input. :)

brian_m
07-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Mr.Matt, so your telling me that you would throw back a 25 pound salmon...cuz most likley its gunna be a hen getting ready to spawn.

Flipper266
07-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I think that it all depends on different species specific.

I hope you do no think that I am saying that anybody who keeps a big fish is wrong. I just did not know that most big fish were apparently pregnant females.

Hope I didnt tick you off. This thread just made me think. Thats all.

Matt

LingSlayer
07-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Is there a way to tell the difference from a large male/female ling?

If so I would love to hear about it.

As far as naming particular boats and how that could effect their business...... I just call it how I see it. Some Captains are lame, some go out of their way to make sure you have a good experience while on their boat.

On that note.....

Go on the RUMBLEFISH! They are the best in Fort Bragg. I have gone out with them many times and it is always fun. Give them a try before you write off charter boats alltogether.

Peace,
LS

Rusty_Hooks
07-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Amazing....

Points of view, opinions, apologies all in the same thread. *My hat is off to all...(especially to Brian...good job young man) just don't let the glare from my forehead stop you from seeing your way to another post. ;D

My 2c....Deep sea for bottom fish is rough these days, one doesn't know who to believe, what report to consider or what agency to listen to. *One says "dire straights", the next says; moderate, the next says NO FISHING ???

Kind of like eggs...one day they're great for you, the next day they're the worst for you, the next week (or report) say they're fine for you. ???

I'll just bet ( a small bet, I'm financially conservative, that's "purple"), there are some places offshore, right offshore, where the fish have never seen a line and the lings are thick as flies. *Halibut barn doors, and right off our California coast. *

Keep the fish and enjoy, sport fishing won't dent the population, but commercial bottom scrapers will, and that's where I draw my line.

Hook and line...no more...prices go up, fishermen flourish and the fisherey strengthens...hook and line...real simple

and I don't mean trot line either...

Just another opinion, like some other things, everyone has one.

Nice fish, by the way....real nice fish!!

drstressor
07-21-2005, 01:45 PM
OK, I'll butt back in here now that the thread has gotten civil again. As sport fisherman, we all need to be knowledgeable about the issues involved in managing specific fisheries. We to often hear the extreme points of view from folks who would either want to shut down both sport and commercial fishing so that they can enjoy feeding reef fish by hand when scuba diving or who want to keep the commercial or charter boat quotas as high as possible from self interest. The key is to understand which fisheries are sustainable and which are not. And from a sport fishing perspective, understanding how to get fisheries that are currently unsustainable back to sustainable levels.

Salmon from the Sacramento system are highly sustainable since there are not really any significant wild populations anymore other than the winter run fish that they protect by opening the season late. The fish you are catching are the products of salmon ranging operations that are supported by hatcheries. Since this is a put and take operation and the hatcheries really don't need that many fish to do their job, nobody should feel any remorse about taking limits of large salmon. It is different up the coast where Klamath fish and a few wild populations are in big trouble.

Many species of rockfish can't really sustain any significant fishery. It has been learned only recently that some species don't even reach sexual maturity until they are 20 to 50 years of age and live to 80! So taking most of the mature fish now means that even if all fishing was stopped, it would take at least 20 to 50 years for large fish to reappear. Other species of rockfish, specifically the so call "pelagic" ones like blacks, are much shorter lived and can sustain good numbers despite high fishing pressure.

Ling are sort of in the middle in terms of longevity. However, once the big ones have been depleted it takes a very long time for the populations to recover. The best example is the Straits of Georgia in Canada where 10 years of conservation hasn't resulted in much recovery. It seems that Ling cod have complex social interactions and most spawning takes place at specific sites, at least in the northern part of their range. It may take a certain density of large fish to initiate spawning activity. So fishing them down to low numbers can have a bigger consequence to the whole population that simple math would predict.

I really sympathize with fisheries managers and I support most of what is being attempted in CA, OR, WA, BC, and AK to conserve rockfish and ling. Spitting up a declining resource between sport and commercial fisheries is largely a thankless job.

I don't blame anyone for keeping a large ling as long as it is caught legally. I said that I would have let it go because that's just what I do. It makes me feel better to be a responsible fisherman now. I've killed too many fish in the past commercial fishing. But I remember the time years ago on a head boat out of Connecticut where I told the mate to lip gaff a striper over 40 lb. I just unhooked the jig, lowered her over the side, and let her go. The memory of the looks on the faces of 40 other fisherman is worth more to me today than keeping that fish ever would have been. ;D

AllFishNoWork
07-21-2005, 03:21 PM
I dont know of many people that would actually let it back. I know i wouldnt, i would want to show everyone

I don't know if I'd keep the fish or not, but if I did it would be to feed my friends with not to show them.

kromebrite
07-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Part of this may be contextual. If a guy goes after rockfish once a year and keeps two large lings, I would think that is a different scenerio than people who regularly fish the ocean waters and regularly keep such. A similar thread was posted on the striper boards.
Perhaps part of the solution is with the people who are in one of the best positions to influence large numbers of regular Joe/Jane fishers; the party boat/six pack captains.
The vast majority of people going after rockfish have no idea about fishing biology. The term "biomass" would be a foreign concept. It's not a matter of being stupid, it's just they are not that into it(like the sniffer population is). If the captains were to begin to suggest this to clients, then maybe it would become more and more the norm.
They could suggest it and give a reason, but then respect those people that say "that's great. but I caught it and I'll keep it!" But there would be people on the boat who might think twice rather than just throwing it in the sack. Particularly if the captain and deckhand remind them that they still plan on getting a keeper or two for the client to take home, just not the huge ones.
My best experience with this was shark fishing, and the captain gave me the lecture about breeding females and urged me to let them go. He was low-key and respectful about it, and ended it with "but if you want to keep it, it's your fish". He did remind me that sharks bear live young, and the young would not live once removed. I made a decision to let go any breeder females based on that. My fishing buddy said "forget that! That's dinner!" But still, it set the stage for a trend.

LingSlayer
07-21-2005, 04:23 PM
This thread makes me wish I picked a different name ;D

Farrier_Frank
07-21-2005, 04:51 PM
LOL LingSlayer. ;D A sense of humor is a very good thing. 8)

SEEKER
07-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Thats one FINE fish you hung. Great job have a GREAT DAY TIGHT LINES, Rich

marnilr
07-21-2005, 07:38 PM
LingSlayer had asked if there was a way to tell the difference between a male ling and female ling... is there? Do they have different markings in anyway?

Personally (and I say this from experience)... I think the look on the faces of others on the boat when you throw back a HUGE fish is sometimes worth more than keeping it. Not always... but sometimes. :)

stressor_jr
07-22-2005, 05:35 AM
marnilr.......i like the way you think !!! i think the look on everyones faces that have posted in here would be priceless.....wether pro or con !! :o :o :o :o :o

jon_may
07-22-2005, 07:56 AM
as someone who has never caught a ling, and who(90+%)practices cpr i have to say i would have kept that baby... nice catch!

Rusty_Hooks
07-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Nor would I want to be in the position of determining who fishes and who doesn't to effectively regain strength in a fishery....

I think that given the current technilogical advantage we have....odds are greatly increased for a successful catch.

To run those odds out (extrapolate) for the commercial endeavors currently operating...a bit on the unfair advantage side...especially the offshore cannery boats.

efficiency....max catch.....market demands....

Not nearly...line over the side and one fish up

I do agree, the look on the faces of fisherman when large fish are thrown back is worth its weight in gold!! ;D

Ling is one of my favorite faires too.... ;) ;D ;D

Nothing wrong with the name LS... ;)

Fish King
07-22-2005, 10:21 PM
I don't mean to change the subject, but what would you do if you caught a 41 pound king salmon? Would you really let it go? Isn't the life of most salmon only 4-6 years anyway? So do you think that if that salmon was a female getting ready to spawn that it would have that big of an impact on the salmon population if you killed it? Even if it was a male 41 pound king salmon I figure that it would still have the same effect. Once the males go upstream and release their "juice" don't they die also? I asked a lot of questions but if people would give me their thoughts on this I would appreciate it. Now I'm going to have to think twice when I catch big fish whether to keep them or let them fight another day.

brian_m
07-22-2005, 10:27 PM
the subject about the salmon has already been brought up..

Fish King
07-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Hey Brian M. I know that it's already been brought up, but nobody answered my questions. I asked anybody about their personal opinion on whether they would let a big salmon go or not. So anybody out there give me their opinion please. Does it really make a difference if it's a big male or female salmon that you kill, since it takes both of them to reproduce?

The_Reel_Won
07-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey Brian M. I know that it's already been brought up, but nobody answered my questions. I asked anybody about their personal opinion on whether they would let a big salmon go or not. So anybody out there give me their opinion please. Does it really make a difference if it's a big male or female salmon that you kill, since it takes both of them to reproduce?

I can not lie. I would keep it and eat its "liver with Fava beans" (slurping sounds) Ha!! :P

The_Reel_Won
11-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Copied from there web site. Some Good news for a change. The yelloweyes are still ****ing us up the rear end.

The Pacific Fishery Management Council (Council) is pleased to announce that the West
Coast lingcod stock has been successfully rebuilt after being designated “overfished” by
the federal government in 1999. The rebuilding was accomplished while avoiding a
complete closure of lingcod or groundfish fisheries. In addition, the status of other key
overfished stocks has improved. “At a time when the public often hears negative things
about marine fishery management, it is refreshing to see things improving off the West
Coast,” said Council Chairman Don Hansen.
In addition to meeting the rebuilding target for lingcod, the population threshold was
exceeded and rebuilding was accomplished much earlier than expected. Lingcod was
scheduled to be rebuilt by 2009, but a new assessment shows that the lingcod
population is already 60% greater than the rebuilding target. Lingcod are voracious,
non?migratory predators that inhabit rocky areas and reefs. Executive Director Donald
McIsaac noted, “Rebuilding so quickly is a great success story that shows how the
Council’s cutbacks on fishing can work. But even with the increased numbers, fishing
for lingcod will still be restricted due to curtailments on fishing to allow rebuilding of
canary and yelloweye rockfish, which live in similar habitat.”
In November 2005, the Council considered the results of stock assessments for 23
groundfish species conducted by scientists from federal and state government agencies.
The assessments were then subjected to a thorough, two?stage peer review process. An
initial evaluation by a specialized panel that included reviewers from the Center for
Independent Experts was conducted first, followed by a review for scientific validity by
the Council’s Scientific and Statistical Committee (SSC). The Council’s SSC is composed
of scientists from tribal, state and federal agencies, academic institutions, and other
sources. The Council approval of the SSC’s recommendations triggers the use of the
stock assessments in decision making.
Assessments for other overfished stocks showed good improvement, with a few
showing mixed results. Assessments for widow rockfish and darkblotched rockfish
showed significant improvements. The widow rockfish stock increased by 25%
between 2003 and 2005 and is now at 78% of its rebuilding target. The darkblotched
rockfish stock increased by 25% between 2001 and 2005, and is now at 40% of its target;
in addition, three strong year classes of juveniles are soon to recruit to the adult phase.
The assessments for cowcod rockfish showed modest improvement, while assessments
for Pacific ocean perch, canary, and bocaccio rockfish showed no significant change
between 2003 and 2005. An assessment for yelloweye rockfish showed the population
in slightly worse shape.
In all, the Council has adopted rebuilding plans for eight overfished species. Lingcod,
Pacific ocean perch, and bocaccio were designated overfished in 1999; canary rockfish
and cowcod in 2000; darkblotched rockfish and widow rockfish in 2001; and yelloweye
rockfish in 2002. Pacific whiting were declared overfished in 2002, but were rebuilt to
the target level and removed from the list of overfished species in 2004.
The Council and National Marine Fisheries Service have implemented management
policies to reduce the catch of overfished species to a level that will allow their
populations to rebuild to a healthy size. Rebuilding strategies limit fishing so that a
stock can grow to a legally?mandated target level. To reduce catch of these stocks, the
Council has closed large areas to certain types of fishing, enacted regulations that
discourage fishing in rocky habitat, curtailed quotas and bag limits, and implemented
other measures.
The Council is one of eight regional fishery management councils established by the
Magnuson?Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976 for the purpose
of managing fisheries 3?200 miles offshore of the United States of America coastline. The
Pacific Council is responsible for fisheries off the coasts of California, Oregon, and
Washington. Management measures are embodied in fishery management plans
(FMPs) for salmon, groundfish, highly migratory species, and coastal pelagic species.
The groundfish FMP covers more than 82 species.

dbass
12-01-2005, 08:42 AM
That surely was a trophy ling, too bad its legacy is to end in a frying pan and lost to the can. If trophy are taken its a crime not to preserve them (taxidermy). My .02 :'(

CenCoast_Angler
12-01-2005, 12:51 PM
How deep do you think the water was when the angler pulled that monster up from the deep blue? I bet it was deep enough to cause substantial damage to the fish's swim bladder and other internal organs.

We've had the conversation before: What is the survival rate for fishes released after caught in deep water?
I believe the survival rate is quite low. So, IMO, if you plan to practice C+R while rockfishing---you better fish shallow...with small lures...with barbless hooks. Otherwise you are merely wasting a perfectly good, legal fish for the sake of your own moral sanctity. It IS illegal to "waste" fish according to DFG regs. Granted, I don't know how or where this monster ling was caught but I doubt it was caught in 60 feet of water on a barbless diamond bar. Thus, releasing it would be fruitless.

I practice C+R almost exclusively (because I usually fish for trout, steelhead, and bass and I don't like to eat fish---I prefer cow) but I do go out on party boats occasionally. The whole point of a party boat is to harvest some meat---for yourself, your friends, or your family.

You can always relieve yourself of moral obligation by either 1 -- giving the fish you catch to the unlucky person who got skunked (or sick) OR 2 -- don't go on a party boat.

Maybe someone who has studied the survival rates of pressure-traumatized fish could provide better analysis...? I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just trying to enlighten the people who think that you can pull up a fish from 200 feet and toss it back without harming the fish itself.

Enjoying the dialogue,
PK

The_Reel_Won
12-01-2005, 04:42 PM
How deep do you think the water was when the angler pulled that monster up from the deep blue? PK

Easy it was caught under 120 feet. I know this because the party boat capt is not going to risk a huge fine just for rock fish. Its the regs. Thats the whole idea of rock fishing under 120 feet. As far as wasted to the can?. lol (good one) I have to admit mine would end up there too, cause Im too cheap to pay the tax man. Thank god for pics!!

triggerfish
12-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Lingcod do not have swim blatters,They fight all the way up. They do not explode like rockfish do. ;)

basil
12-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Lings are not a "depleted resource" They are every where. You dont see too many that size because you keep fishing the same area or reefs. Venture out a bit and you will see for yourself. Another reason is because you stop fishing when you catch your keepers. Try fishing catch and release all day on a lightly pressured reef. Don't buy the hype about lings. Remember last year 30" bull ****? Actually it was an eye opener. By throwing back all the 24" lings we ended up catching monsters all last year. Any way nice ling!!

Yah, right, no one is catching big lings because they take the first two. That's crap, odds are someone's first two will be big if there were big ones out there. The odds are the same whether one guy catches 50 fish or 25 guys catch two fish. The big ones are extremely rare where the pressure is greater.

I catch more lings than anything else, but they are all small, under 30 inches. Rockfishing the Marin Coast is hardly worth it, I find myself going further north and when I do the fish get bigger. Just the same they are still not as big as they were. The funny thing about is someday someone will be talking about how great the fishing was now.

But then I don't venture out very far, but that's because it's illegal to fish in water more that 5 fathoms deep. Just the same that won't make that big of difference with ling cod since they migrate to shallow water to spawn.

Team_Sheryl_Lee
12-02-2005, 11:06 PM
did you mean 20 fathoms
6x5=30
6x20=120
my boat caught more lings over 20lbs than under 30" this year
we cuaght 1 ling north of the russian river and 1 more north of bodega head
the rest came from south of bodega bay and north of point reyes
isnt the reason for the 7 months of closed ling cod season so the fish can spawn?
i took a 52" ling with a big belly
the belly was a 6lb rock cod folded in half and so digested it was of undetermined speicies and a 3lb mackerel
my spring scasles may not be certified but the fish weighed 38lb with the belly full
in the year 2004 i caught no lings over 30" for only nine days in the water
i did catch a 42lb king in 2004 where the biggest boated salmon this year was only 32lb

TSL

The_Reel_Won
12-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Its so sad to see your posts basil. You sound beat and angry. Maybe you should just quit fishing and resolve your self to talking about the good old days.

Yah, right, no one is catching *big lings because they take the first two. That's crap, odds are someone's first two will be big if there were big ones out there. The odds are the same whether one guy catches 50 fish or 25 guys catch two fish. The big ones are extremely rare where the pressure is greater.

Actually what I said was this
"You dont see too many that size because you keep fishing the same area or reefs. Venture out a bit and you will see for yourself. Another reason is because you stop fishing when you catch your keepers. Try fishing catch and release all day on a lightly pressured reef."

Sooooo let me break it down a bit for you. What this means is this. #1 You keep fishing the same old tired areas. #2 "Venture out." That means find new areas. #3 Try catching lings all day on a lightly pressured reef and your odds go up. Also what you said "odds are someone's first two will be big if there were big ones out there" Thats CRAP!! And just goes to show me that you just don't know what you're talking about. I don't catch my biggest lings on my first drifts. You can fish all day for lings before you get the monster.

I catch more lings than anything else, but they are all small, under 30 inches. Rockfishing the Marin Coast is hardly worth it,

Try fishing deeper then 30 feet .lol

But then I don't venture out very far, but that's because it's illegal to fish in water more that 5 fathoms deep.
Hmm that just might your problem Basil. You see, you can actually fish up to 20 fathoms. Thats 120 feet to you. LoL

Just the same that won't make that big of difference with ling cod since they migrate to shallow water to spawn.
Too sad Basil, hey here is a tip they don't spawn all year. And if you don't think that just moving out to 120 to 90' to target the lings makes a deference? Well that just says it all. Too sad. Personally I just don't care if you open your mind to this or not. Just continue to keep doing what ever you are doing and resolve your self to complaining. But I think it a shame that you feel the need to spread doom and gloom about our fishery, and not be wiling to try something new. I happen to do a little fishing of my own and I'm happy with the fishery off of our coast, and do pretty good.

The_Reel_Won
12-02-2005, 11:35 PM
i did catch a 42lb king in 2004 where the biggest boated salmon this year was only 32lb
TSL
Careful we well start hearing doom and gloom stories of how great salmon fishing used to be.:p.LoL Niiiiiiiiiice Ling by the way TSL ;)

mahoneyh
12-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Good evening all. Interesting post. I've been out twice recently (haven't been rockfishing in twenty years before that) and am of mixed opinions. Went out of Bodega Verteran's day weekend and had one of the best experiences of my life on the Rumbelfish. I'm posting their name because they had great service, taught us about the fish, which ones to keep, their life cycle, etc. They also put us onto a great series of spots to catch good sized fish. It was fun watching them fire the cannon at Fort Ross, too.

Two weekends ago I had the complete opposite experience on a very popular party boat out of the Bay area. I could deal with the rude deckhand but they also ignored people throwing small, dead fish overboard to keep bigger fish. Additionally, they had us out at the Farallons in four hundred feet of water. Most of the boat was bouncing the bottom illegally often catching illegal rockfish (released to float away) and lings. I finally had enough when I saw a guy using what I think was a canary for bait (he had already thrown three dead fish overhead). I said something, he got pissy and his buddies decided they wanted to fight me. I moved to the other side of the boat, fished out my limit and then sat in the cabin. The Captian came in and told me he couldn't control them and I told him that was his job, as was making sure his customers followed the regs.

Pathetic.

Now, my food for thought---

I'm new to rockfishing and like it (on the right boat, with the right people). However, I was using a light pole and barbless hooks (well mashed down shrimp fly hook actually) after my first one pound fish because tore his mouth up badly (kept him too!). I also reel slowly. You should have seen the look on the deck hands' faces when I was releasing five or six pound rock fish in the water. I don't keep the bigger ones, or the ones that seem rarer. Don't want to hurt the breeding stock or the depleted species.

Additonally, I think we need to think about the life cycle of these fish and where they live. A blue or black proabbaly doesn't have much in the way of chemicals in it due to thier shorter life and the fact they are mid water fish. The others, especially the large bottom dwellers like Lings and others scare me a little. An old, high fat level fish seems like a resoirvoir for all kinds of chemicals, toxins and mercury that I juts don't want to ingest. I'm not a scinetist but I've read enough about the pollution we dump into the oceans and how far it spreads that I don't want to be eating a 35 year old bottom dwelling fish. Kind of scary, at least by my thoughts.

My final word--we all need to help clean up certain individual's actions. All fish and all habitat are threatened across the spectrum from politics, greed and an epxanding population.

Just my thoughts as I reintroduce myself to the world of rock fish. Hope I'm not offending any of you.

triggerfish
12-08-2005, 07:39 AM
That trip out of the bay area,dosen't surprise me. I would let fish and game know about fishing in 400 ft. Wasting fish etc. Thats too bad that the captain lets that go on.With that kind of attitude its going to be tuff for those rockfish to rebound over there.

Rusty_Hooks
12-08-2005, 10:15 AM
It's up to the captain to control his party....

If he can't......haul em in and dump em off

or....put them in the dingy on a painter line and let them fish there!!

If you can't stand the heat......you know the rest >:(

F&G should know about the 400 feet!! ;)

Flipper266
12-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Isnt it also up to the captain to man the wheel?
Should just keep the boat in 120 or less waters.

Big_Easy
12-08-2005, 01:22 PM
WOW! I have fished party boats and never had those problems. :o I caught a 12lbs Ling north of Bodega and released it due to not wanting to clean the ugly fish! Went to Albertson's and purchased Fillets! Should've kept and cleaned the fish versus spending 37.50 on fish! ??? Oh yeah, that was the biggest Ling that I landed ;D ;D ;D ;D That mean I was Happy, Happy, Happy! No moral to the story, just wanted to add on to the post!

The_Reel_Won
12-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Isnt it also up to the captain to man the wheel?
Should just keep the boat in 120 or less waters.

Yup I would like to see that boats and captains name posted here. I'm not saying what was described actually happened? I don't know I was not there. But at least we can keep an eye on that boat.

Know_Excuses
12-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Good evening all. *Interesting post. *I've been out twice recently (haven't been rockfishing in twenty years before that) and am of mixed opinions. *Went out of Bodega Verteran's day weekend and had one of the best experiences of my life on the Rumbelfish. *I'm posting their name because they had great service, taught us about the fish, which ones to keep, their life cycle, etc. They also put us onto a great series of spots to catch good sized fish. *It was fun watching them fire the cannon at Fort Ross, too.

Two weekends ago I had the complete opposite experience on a very popular party boat out of the Bay area. *I could deal with the rude deckhand but they also ignored people throwing small, dead fish overboard to keep bigger fish. * Additionally, they had us out at the Farallons in four hundred feet of water. *Most of the boat was bouncing the bottom illegally often catching illegal rockfish (released to float away) and lings. *I finally had enough when I saw a guy using what I think was a canary for bait (he had already thrown three dead fish overhead). *I said something, he got pissy and his buddies decided they wanted to fight me. I moved to the other side of the boat, fished out my limit and then sat in the cabin. The Captian came in and told me he couldn't control them and I told him that was his job, as was making sure his customers followed the regs.

Pathetic.

Now, my food for thought---

I'm new to rockfishing and like it (on the right boat, with the right people). *However, I was using a light pole and barbless hooks (well mashed down shrimp fly hook actually) after my first one pound fish because tore his mouth up badly (kept him too!). *I also reel slowly. You should have seen the look on the deck hands' faces when I was releasing five or six pound rock fish in the water. I don't keep the bigger ones, or the ones that seem rarer. *Don't want to hurt the breeding stock or the depleted species.

Additonally, I think we need to think about the life cycle of these fish and where they live. *A blue or black proabbaly doesn't have much in the way of chemicals in it due to thier shorter life and the fact they are mid water fish. *The others, especially the large bottom dwellers like Lings and others scare me a little. *An old, high fat level fish seems like a resoirvoir for all kinds of chemicals, toxins and mercury that I juts don't want to ingest. *I'm not a scinetist but I've read enough about the pollution we dump into the oceans and how far it spreads that I don't want to be eating a 35 year old bottom dwelling fish. *Kind of scary, at least by my thoughts.

My final word--we all need to help clean up certain individual's actions. *All fish and all habitat are threatened across the spectrum from politics, greed and an epxanding population.

Just my thoughts as I reintroduce myself to the world of rock fish. *Hope I'm not offending any of you.

Welcome to the boards mahoneyh ;D ;D Glad to see that experience didnt sour you on rock fishing.I havnt been in a while but if you want a better experience go on a 6 pack boat.The captains are more in control and you get WAY more room to fish.I hate guys that get big and bad when its 3 or 4 of them and 1 of you >:(.Glad it didnt turn ugly though.Good luck and Tight lines!!!

gmdcdvm
12-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Just finished reading the entire post. Didn't expect to see such a large discussion after a single picture, but overall a lot of good ideas and different ways of thinking I have neved considered.

On a side note...I don't know all of the regs, but I thought "trophy fishing" was illegal according to fish/game. Or does it only apply to certain species. They bascially define it as catching and releasing smaller fish to try and upgrade the size of the fish you keep for your limit. I saw this discussed before on a different message board (coastsidefishing) where one of the members is a warden and replies to various questions. If I remember correctly I think it dealt with salmon fishing and people throwing back keepers to try for bigger fish. I don't know but I don't think you can do this with lings. Anyone else know if this is right or wrong?

Flipper266
12-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Yup I would like to see that boats and captains name posted here. I'm not saying what was described actually happened? I don't know I was not there. But at least we can keep an eye on that boat. [/quote]

Next year when I am out in my kayak Ill post a picture of my depthfinder with the party boat in the background with me at 100ft depth and them obviously deeper out....

mahito
12-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Yup I would like to see that boats and captains name posted here. I'm not saying what was described actually happened? I don't know I was not there. But at least we can keep an eye on that boat. Next year when I am out in my kayak Ill post a picture of my depthfinder with the party boat in the background with me at 100ft depth and them obviously deeper out....

only problem with this is there are rocks/ridges/reefs or whatever out there. you may be over a deep part at 120 feet but the party boat might only be at 80. its very hard to say. I am not saying by any means that party boats do not go into deeper illigal water or that they do. just that judging from afar without accurate information on the location is not going to be accurate.

The_Reel_Won
12-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Thats a good point, I know quite a few spots that go 100,120,140 to 40 and back so if you were in shallow you would swear I was fishing deeper. Again its hard to tell unless you actually go over to where they are?

only problem with this is there are rocks/ridges/reefs or whatever out there. *you may be over a deep part at 120 feet but the party boat might only be at 80. *its very hard to say. *I am not saying by any means that party boats do not go into deeper illigal water or that they do. *just that judging from afar without accurate information on the location is not going to be accurate. *

superchicken
12-24-2005, 03:46 PM
I beg everyone to release all big fish, so i have a better chance of catching one!! :)

NEMO
12-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Big females full of eggs with any fish are pretty exhausted when landed especially from deep water. Chances are they will die anyway.

The_Reel_Won
12-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Not to beat this to death, but they seem pretty mad to me and swim away like it. Keep in mind the "deep" is only 120' We let go a bunch of them a couple of weeks ago, not one took their time. LoL Hey what ever works for you. :D

Team_Sheryl_Lee
12-28-2005, 05:28 PM
i guess hogsbro doesnt like my fishing technique

i still belive in "cfr"

TSL

The_Reel_Won
12-28-2005, 05:43 PM
i guess hogsbro doesnt like my fishing technique

i still belive in "cfr"

TSL

LoL, well notice how everybody who stated that ling cod numbers were in trouble, simply ignored the The "Pacific Fishery Management Council" letter I posted stating the opposite. Too funny
:D

Jan_from_Humboldt
12-28-2005, 07:04 PM
LoL, well notice how everybody who stated that ling cod numbers were in trouble, simply ignored the The "Pacific Fishery Management Council" letter I posted stating the opposite. Too funny
:D

That's beacause all of us that were letting the big breeders go back helped replenish the stocks quicker. :o :o ;D ;D

Sorry, just couldn't resist flipping a little gas on the fire again Lol lol lol

Team_Sheryl_Lee
12-28-2005, 08:09 PM
lol

TSL

The_Reel_Won
12-28-2005, 09:56 PM
That's beacause all of us that were letting the big breeders go back helped replenish the stocks quicker. :o :o ;D ;D

Sorry, just couldn't resist flipping a little gas on the fire again Lol lol lol

Ha! Yeah thats it!!
::) LoL. Jan good to see you on F.S.F.