PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Stripped Bass recipe???

moegraph
09-02-2013, 09:58 AM
What's the best strpped bass recipe out there.
I need to cook this baby.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/03/udu4a5us.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Line Stretcher
09-02-2013, 10:36 AM
My go to is always fillet's drug though an egg wash then doused with flour mixed with your favorite seasonings. Slice up a few potatoes and deep fry them for delicious Fish 'N' Chips.

dsa2780
09-02-2013, 10:46 AM
How to Grill a Whole Fish - Grilled Whole Fish Recipe | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (http://honest-food.net/2011/08/07/simple-grilled-fish-with-basil/)

I've done this with striper before and if you're not looking to deep fry anything, it's a great recipe. Just scale your fish, cut the gills out, score it by cutting 4 or 5 shallow lines down the body on each side, then drench it in olive oil and throw some salt and pepper on it. Barbecue for about 10 minutes on either side or until done for that big fish you got.

Or brine that guy up and smoke him. Smoked striper is to die for in my opinion.

Or as Sgs1 said, batter up some fillets and deep fry for traditional fish and chips.

BigUnInDaBoat
09-02-2013, 11:11 AM
First thing to do is fillet & skin that bad boy, and make sure you remove all the dark red meat alone the lateral line.

Striper is awesome deep fried.

I dredge in flour, then egg wash then into instant potato flakes....

BOMB.

GNappers
09-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Beer batter it after filleting it, skinning it, and cutting off the red meat. Cut the fillets into serving size, I like to separate the skinny tail end from the thicker pieces. Rinse if there is some scales an the pat dry. Put in beer batter. I put flour, baking soda, beer, salt and maybe a little cayenne. Heat skillet and use canola oil and drop a little batter in to make sure the pan is hot enough. You don't want the oil too hot where it will smoke. Too cold batter won't stick. You probably already prepared the fish but this may be useful in the future. Nice fish never saw a report.

D Fish
09-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Beer batter it after filleting it, skinning it, and cutting off the red meat. Cut the fillets into serving size, I like to separate the skinny tail end from the thicker pieces. Rinse if there is some scales an the pat dry. Put in beer batter. I put flour, baking soda, beer, salt and maybe a little cayenne. Heat skillet and use canola oil and drop a little batter in to make sure the pan is hot enough. You don't want the oil too hot where it will smoke. Too cold batter won't stick. You probably already prepared the fish but this may be useful in the future. Nice fish never saw a report.

:exactly2pn: What G Nappers said, I just use peanut oil instead.. Enjoy! Love STRIPER! just don't each to much.. a lot of Mercury in them, especially the ones that are over 28inches?? I believe.. anyways nice fish bro! Thanks for the report..

Mr. Hotsauce
09-03-2013, 09:01 AM
I usually go with an asian style. Clean and gut it, stuff it with green onion, cilantro, lemon grass, lots of small round tomatoes. Salt and pepper or seasoning of your liking inside and outside of fish. Wrap the whole fish in aluminum foil and toss it on the grill. When done the fish should be real nice and juicy. Best way to eat, waste no meat and with beer it's usually down to the bone.

redneckpunk
09-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Never tried this myself because Ive been C&R my stripers for the last 6-8 years, but have had it suggested a couple time. Cut it into 1in cubes and boil in 7-up. Thats it!

~RNP

Line Stretcher
09-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Never tried this myself because Ive been C&R my stripers for the last 6-8 years, but have had it suggested a couple time. Cut it into 1in cubes and boil in 7-up. Thats it!

~RNP

I was bored one day and went out and caught a bunch of smallies to try this on. It's actually pretty darn good and simple as can be.

GNappers
09-03-2013, 07:45 PM

~RNP
Tried it will Halibut as I was told it should taste like lobster. Poor Man's Lobster was what they called it. Sweet and moist but I like Dore style better.

BIG_ONE
09-03-2013, 09:36 PM
1. One fillet with skin(serving portions).
2. Black beans.
3. One white onion.
4. Garlic.
5. Soy Sauce(dark soy).
6. Green/Spring Onion.
7. Cilantro.
8. Salt & Pepper.
9. Butter.
10. Olive Oil.

Heat a pan with olive oil and add one glove of minced garlic once the oil is hot. Cook the garlic until slightly tan colored. Now then toss in half a table spoon of butter. Let the butter melt and place the fillet skin side down on the pan(salted & peppered). Cook the skin side down until its nice and crisp, you now then flip the fillet and placing it in the center of the pan. Toss in the sliced onion around the fish to let it cook(you want the onion to be caramelized). Once the onion is caramelized, toss in the black beans and mix it with the onion. Now cover the fillet skin side up with the onion and black beans for about 5 minutes with lid on. Pour a table spoon of soy sauce over the fish, onion and black beans. Toss in the chopped green/spring onions and cilantro. Give it a nice stir with the onions and black beans.
Take out the fillet from the pan and place it on a plate. Lay the onions, black beans, cilantro & green/spring onions wherever you want on the fish. Lightly dress the fish and the veggies with the sauce in the pan and voila'! All this should take about 15 - 20 minutes depending on the size of your fillet.

:):):)

Toxic_Waste
09-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I probably mentioned this before, a long time ago.My Italian grandmother used to take a whole, fresh striped bass, cut a few slices on each side, just down to the bones, and then stuff the slices as well as the cavity. Her stuffing consisted of seasoned dry bread crumbs, moistened with chopped garlic, chopped parsley and butter. (Can't remember if she had onions in it, too). Then she'd lay strips of raw bacon over the top of the fish and pour a can of tomato sauce over that. She probably added a bit of white wine too. Baked it in the oven till the fish and bacon was done. Very good stuff.

WhopperStopper
09-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Striper cut into 1" steaks
Corn starch
Soy sauce
Ginger
Lime
Sugar
Chili peppers
Cilantro
Green onions.

Dust striper steaks well with corn starch and deep fry until GBD. While striper is frying, make the sauce. Use about a cup of soy sauce, and to that add the juice of about three limes and a few tablespoons of water. Add sugar and warm slightly to dissolve. Grate ginger and chop chili peppers (jalepenos or thai chilis) and add to sauce. Chop cilantro and green onions. When the striper steaks are done, arrange them on a plate, spoon the sauce over it, and garnish with the cilantro and green onions. Delicious asian variation.

WhopperStopper
09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Another way I hook it up is very similar, but with a different sauce. Instead of soy sauce, I use fish sauce and do everything just about the same. It just gives it a little lighter flavor profile.

WhopperStopper
09-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Here's another one:

Whole striper dessed (gutted, scaled)
Garlic black bean sauce
Soy sauce
Black pepper
Sesame oil
Green onions
Lime
Cilantro
Crispy fried shallots

Score striper on both sides down to the bone about every three inches. Either in a steamer or wrapped in foil, stuff cavity of whole striper with green onions and smear liberally all over with garlic black bean sauce. Add black pepper all over. Drizzle with sesame oil and soy sauce and steam or wrap up In foil pouch and put in oven. When fish is done, put on platter and squeeze fresh lime. Garnish with chopped cilantro and crispy fried shallots.

WhopperStopper
09-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Eat whatever I have mentioned with white rice.

Btw if yall couldn't tell, I'm asian lol.

WhopperStopper
09-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Heres a soup recipe:

Striper fillets cut into 1" cubes
Tomato
Garlic
Onion
Black pepper
Fish sauce
fresh dill
Vegetable oil or olive oil
Fish stock or chicken broth
Bean sprouts

Dice onion and chop garlic and saute in pot with oil until onion and garlic is soft. Chop tomatos and add to pot with garlic and onion and saute tomatoes until they break down. Add black pepper and fish sauce to taste. Add fish stock or chicken broth and bring to slow boil. Add fish pieces and cook on low heat as to not break up the pieces of fish. When fish is done add chopped dill and cook for a few more minutes. Serve over white rice and garnish with fresh dill and bean sprouts.

dsa2780
09-10-2013, 05:39 PM
I probably mentioned this before, a long time ago.My Italian grandmother used to take a whole, fresh striped bass, cut a few slices on each side, just down to the bones, and then stuff the slices as well as the cavity. Her stuffing consisted of seasoned dry bread crumbs, moistened with chopped garlic, chopped parsley and butter. (Can't remember if she had onions in it, too). Then she'd lay strips of raw bacon over the top of the fish and pour a can of tomato sauce over that. She probably added a bit of white wine too. Baked it in the oven till the fish and bacon was done. Very good stuff.

I'm actually making stuffed striper as we speak! I landed a 19 incher a night ago that looks like he's up from the bay, nice and blue shimmered with no sores or fight marks that the usual resident holdovers have.

It's a bit more English than Italian and is pretty great smelling. Take a 28" or less striper, scale and gill it, then butterfly it or just rip all of the bones out. It'll resemble a sock when it's like this lol. Saute up some diced mushrooms, 3 tablespoons onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs, pepper, salt, smoked paprika and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. After a few minutes, liberally oil the striper inside and out, put on a baking sheet and stuff with all those mushrooms. More salt, pepper, some rosemary sprigs if you want to roll like that and pop into a 350 oven for 45 minutes.

I'll be giving those recipes a try Whopper. The deep fried spicy striper nuggets sound awesome. I know some thai guys who take malt vinegar and chopped onions ,put it into a spritzer bottle and spay it over the fish nuggets. Well, they used snakeheads I guess when they could....