PDA

View Full Version : Need a trolling set up on a low budget- any tips?

ampm
09-03-2013, 02:05 PM
alright, I am looking for a relatively cheap trolling set up, fairly light for trout/landlocked salmon, no ocean fishing, and would like to stay around $100, any suggestions?

Cali Duck
09-03-2013, 03:03 PM
alright, I am looking for a relatively cheap trolling set up, fairly light for trout/landlocked salmon, no ocean fishing, and would like to stay around $100, any suggestions?

$100? I think you'll be shopping used...you're talking down rigger, weight, and line release right?

New they start at $130 for something decent, but you'll still need the mount and everything to get ya down to 100ft...

Amazon.com: Cannon Lake Troll Manual Downrigger: Sports & Outdoors (http://amzn.to/1ahpRLO)

ampm
09-03-2013, 06:17 PM
$100? I think you'll be shopping used...you're talking down rigger, weight, and line release right?

New they start at $130 for something decent, but you'll still need the mount and everything to get ya down to 100ft...

Amazon.com: Cannon Lake Troll Manual Downrigger: Sports & Outdoors (http://amzn.to/1ahpRLO)

no , i have all that... i meant a rod/reel combo, sorry should have been more specific.

Line Stretcher
09-03-2013, 07:36 PM
This might do the trick: Purchase the Abu Garcia Black Max Baitcast Combo for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Abu-Garcia-Black-Max-Baitcast-Combo/19716434)

Jfitalia
09-03-2013, 08:09 PM
I would say grab a shakespear agility rod for 39.99 and a black max reel. If you want something with a potential clicker. Then hit up ebay for a used old version of the abu 5500 for 4600. You can add a clicker to those for cheap later on. I have an agility rod and love it. In fact I used that rod more than anything else. Or wait until the ISE and hit FW for their TICA rods.

AnglingWes
09-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Vance's Spiral Wrap trolling rods are great for trout, landlocked salmon and kokes. They are well built and inexpensive. Paired with a black max, 5500, or BCX Abu reel is a great setup.

ampm
09-04-2013, 06:56 AM
ok thanks for the tips guys, a couple questions.. I already have an ABU Silver Max baitcaster combo I use for throwing bass plugs, or jigging salmon, but the rod is abt 6' and it is too stiff for trolling (at least that's my opinion), so could I pair it w/ a rod better suited for trolling or the dr. I have an older Daiwa Classic baitcaster/ Ugly Stik combo too that is my striper/river salmon set up. Both reels have clickers.

1. What am I looking for in a rod? does 'Slow' action mean you get a bigger bend and less chance of tearing out a hook? I dont always see the 'slow' or 'fast' description on rods.

2. Could I spool a reel w/ lead core and then leave 20 yards of mono on the end, so that I could use the same reel for either toplining w/ the leadcore or with the downrigger?

3. I see guys using spinning reels these days, I am aware of the whole issue with twisting the line, so why do I still see guys using them? and these are not just newbies either, I've seen guides using them.

Line Stretcher
09-04-2013, 08:18 AM
1. Think of the way an ultra light rod reacts and that'll give you and idea of what slow action is like. It's harder to get a good hook set with a slow action rod.

2. I know of a lot of folks that run long leaders with lead core. It defeats the purpose and I don't recommend it. I run a leader that's twice the length of the rod starting at the reel seat. Trying to top line 20 yards behind the boat with lead core will work for top lining but won't work very well when you need to get to 25' down.

3. There are many methods for trolling, you can troll well with a spinning reel. They are excellent for side and float drifting and are the only way to free line effectively. Many of us like them because we can swap spools quick and that keeps gear in the water and clients happy. I prefer to carry extra baitcast reels and have multiple rods rigged and ready. I set the spool tension tight and that leaves little room for error when it comes to over-runs and drag settings.

My trolling rods for average trout and salmon are all medium power and fast action. I have some 7' rods that feel like broomsticks compared to my 8'6" rods so if that's your complaint then try a little longer rod. I've got a long list of converts now and many of them are fellow guides.

bigfishonly
09-04-2013, 12:21 PM
ok thanks for the tips guys, a couple questions.. I already have an ABU Silver Max baitcaster combo I use for throwing bass plugs, or jigging salmon, but the rod is abt 6' and it is too stiff for trolling (at least that's my opinion), so could I pair it w/ a rod better suited for trolling or the dr. I have an older Daiwa Classic baitcaster/ Ugly Stik combo too that is my striper/river salmon set up. Both reels have clickers.

1. What am I looking for in a rod? does 'Slow' action mean you get a bigger bend and less chance of tearing out a hook? I dont always see the 'slow' or 'fast' description on rods.

2. Could I spool a reel w/ lead core and then leave 20 yards of mono on the end, so that I could use the same reel for either toplining w/ the leadcore or with the downrigger?

3. I see guys using spinning reels these days, I am aware of the whole issue with twisting the line, so why do I still see guys using them? and these are not just newbies either, I've seen guides using them. I use a Diawa Spinmattic rod medium fast but 2-6lb. power. This works great. you could spool one of your reels with light line. I would not go with leadcore line as for anything below surface you coud use the downrigger or small weight.

Line Stretcher
09-04-2013, 12:35 PM
I use a Diawa Spinmattic rod medium fast but 2-6lb. power. This works great. you could spool one of your reels with light line. I would not go with leadcore line as for anything below surface you coud use the downrigger or small weight.

Downriggers have their uses (I have them and use them) and so does lead core (always onboard). Don't discount it. There's a lot you can do with lead core that you could never do with a downrigger. Get over the stigma of the fat line and wake up to a whole new world.

As a side note, if you have lead core rigged on the wrong gear it will not be a fun experience.

CRABBY
09-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Kirby,I have a brand new Cabellas gold series 8' trolling rod,I bought 4 rods an real combos an never used the rods as I had shimano koke noodletype rods already.I don't know if there any good as I just put em in the shed,somebody else may have some info.You can have it free if ya want Buddy!!....Don