PDA

View Full Version : went phone diving in the napa river this morning

LONO100
09-08-2013, 03:21 PM
so i was fishing along the rocky banks of the napa river today and i had my work phone in my fishing vest. i didnt know that the zipper was undone, and as i was walking along the rocks it flopped out and fell into the early morning water. this is my second replacement phone and its really expensive. i was so pissed, and it was a brand new replacement so in i went. i couldnt see anything, so i walked around bare foot in the water feeling around with my feet for about 20 minutes. i was just about to give up when i felt it. i was able to pull it outand clean it off. it was in an otter box and now its sitting in a bag of rice on the kitchen table. its the only thing i caught this morning, but im happy i recovered it. if it doesnt start back up, as long as i have it, i can turn it back in for a new one.

fishingfrieda
09-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Put it under the seat of your hot car for a few hrs. Maybe a day. I've saved two phones this way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

drinkinbuddy
09-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Put it under the seat of your hot car for a few hrs. Maybe a day. I've saved two phones this way

Great idea!

Waterdog
09-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Good luck with that. When ever I am fishing, duck hunting, boating or just around the water I put my phone in a small sealable plastic bag so it is water proof. Doing that saved the phone last year when hunting the bay and it fell in the water. Stayed dry as could be.

LONO100
09-08-2013, 07:06 PM
great tips fellas. its supposed to be near 100 degrees tomorrow, i have the phone in a ziplock bag with a pile of rice. ill stick it under the seat of my truck in the morning.

the thing that amazed me was that i actually found the phone. the water was super murky, and super smelly by the way. its basically marsh water. the current was moving pretty swiftly too, so i was amazed that the phone didnt make it too far from where it hit the water. i did get a few cuts on my feet from some old hooks that i stepped on. i cleaned them off with alcohol and antibiotic cream after a long hot hot shower. they were just little scrapes but i was really afraid they were gonna get infected, but so far they look like they are already healing.

the otter box i had it in was supposed to keep it water tight, but it was under water for easily 15 to 20 minutes. ill post again with the results of its resurrection.

fishingfrieda
09-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Battery out!!!! It is pretty amazing you found it. I've done water damage to two phones now. I'm saving up for the Samsung sg4 active. Water proof phone with limits. But I really need it. At least if the cat trick doesn't work you can still turn it in.

dsa2780
09-08-2013, 08:41 PM
My Evo 3D got dropped on the bank last night and I ran back to the river 10 minutes after noticing it was gone. It was slightly submerged on a rock, due to what looked like wake from a boat going by and splashing it. It's in a bag of rice for the next 2 days with the SD and battery out. So many pictures probably gone.....

rippinlip
09-08-2013, 09:16 PM
heres the best tip buy a phone from best buy 10 dollars a month if you ever break your phone in any way water run it over anything you get a new phone you dont have to pay anything nothing at all i go wading everyother day and i have a new htc one ive droped it in the water 2 times you just have to find it have to bring it back to them to get a new one

GNappers
09-08-2013, 09:34 PM
My buddy lost his phone at the dock starting the motor and it flew right out of his shirt pocket.

LONO100
09-11-2013, 09:55 AM
i wish i could use a prepaid, but it was a phone issued by my work. the worst part is they issue you one by requirement, but if you jack it up, they make you buy a new one.

Duffel bag
09-12-2013, 02:24 AM
Why take a phone fishing?

fishingfrieda
09-12-2013, 04:29 AM

Because theres a new app now that can tranlate what the fish are thinking. :D In my case it would be in case the school calls, or the husband, or the job.

dsa2780
09-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Or incase you get mugged by the dudes out near the DWC who carry pistols while striper fishing or if you fracture your leg while walking down a bank. Oh, and to send fish pics to your friends to make them mad. :cheesy:

woolybuggin
09-12-2013, 05:00 PM
I've saved multiple phones by putting them in the freezer. It draws all the moisture out

49erbassman
09-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Safety, pictures,flashlight,google earth, the list goes on and on......

Fish on!

LONO100
09-16-2013, 08:41 AM
i bring the phone for the camera primarily. its a really good camera phone, and i always see cool stuff when i go fishing like birds, and cool sunrises and sunsets. plus i can go on fissniffer while im dunking my bait, not to mention checking tides, and other stuff.

i still havent powered the thing on yet, ive just been using my regular pone for work. im going to this afternoon. ill report back with results.

GNappers
09-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Somebody just told me kitty litter preferably not used.

cowboyup03
09-17-2013, 04:02 AM
I have the Casio gzone commando. I've dropped it in the drink 4 times, once in the toilet, thew it in mud, dropped from my hand over a dozen times. Stepped on it, sat on it, the list goes on haha. But it still works good all though the outside looks rough and dirty the screen is clear as day

fishingfrieda
09-17-2013, 05:36 AM
I have the Casio gzone commando. I've dropped it in the drink 4 times, once in the toilet, thew it in mud, dropped from my hand over a dozen times. Stepped on it, sat on it, the list goes on haha. But it still works good all though the outside looks rough and dirty the screen is clear as day

Sounds like my kind of phone!

LONO100
09-17-2013, 06:46 AM
im happy to report that after a week sitting in a bag of rice under the seat of my truck, my cell phone that i jumped into the napa river to retrieve is back from the dead! the screen is a little dirty, but i checked out some youtube footage on how to clean it out. im feeling very lucky and blessed today, since i dont have to replace this 700 dollar-almost paper weight.

thanks to all you guys for all the tips. i followed them and they worked like a charm!