PDA

View Full Version : bent hooks and snapped leaders.

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-08-2013, 05:37 PM
I've never seen or heard of so many lost fish from these 2 things as on this forum. So I'm going to drop some common sense.
Match your line to your rod. They have different uses and ratings for a reason.
Use your drag wisely. Use a scale to measure it. Set it less than your weakest piece of equipment and don't touch it.
If you panic the fish will win. You ever see a calm old timer break off a fish? No because they are Zen fish slaying masters. They take their time and let the fish beat itself.
If your in a boat, rig a float and release to.your anchor. Fish takes off, toss the.float and follow it. Line stretches, 100 yards of line stretches a lot. It's easier to tight a fish close than across the river. Also reduces the odds of wrapping in the anchor or getting run over by someone trying to hijack your spot.
Don't try to net too early. If a fish gets to the boat too soon and has a lot left. Don't try to force it, fish will panic and take off increasing the odds of breaking off. Most fish will slide nicely in, on their side, if they are truely wore out.
Never thumb your spool unless you intend on.breaking off the fish(snagged, about to spool)

LURKER916
09-08-2013, 05:53 PM
That's excellent advice......

I just wish that the forty pound buck on the end of my line would read it and follow by the rules......

Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Line Stretcher
09-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Never thumb your spool unless you intend on.breaking off the fish(snagged, about to spool)

Besides being excellent advice, it reminded me of my Dad's (now mine) old Shakespear direct drive with the leather thumb drag. I watched him land a lot of Steel with that but never once with out at least one cuss word and often bloody knuckles. Thanks for good advice and reviving a fond memory for me.

49erbassman
09-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Ya these fish are on roids. Most of the folks I have seen with these issues know very well how to use a rod and reel. Sometimes you under estimate the power of a freight train.

Fish on!

Line Stretcher
09-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Ya these fish are on roids. Most of the folks I have seen with these issues know very well how to use a rod and reel. Sometimes you under estimate the power of a freight train.

Fish on!

We call it "Buck Fever". I'll never forget, (or more accurately will never be allowed to forget), the 6 point buck I blew the rack off of. Same stuff happens to us fisherman! My Dad's favorite saying was "Keep your tip up and let him run". Come to think of it, more than one client has heard me say it too!

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm sure most everyone knows how to use a rod and reel. Just throwing out observations to help those who may not. I've also watched a lot of people breaking off fish this year trying to horse them in. I've never understood waiting hours and hours to hook up then rushing the fun part haha and obviously sometimes even if you do everything right some fish will win and hopefully spread their genes to make other winners.

Bigg A
09-09-2013, 03:28 PM
That's excellent advice......

I just wish that the forty pound buck on the end of my line would read it and follow by the rules......

Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amen brotha!!! These fish are BIG....CHROME AND FULL OF A WHITE SUBSTANCE THEY WANT TO RELEASE REALLY BAD!!!! There ain't too much that's going to stop them from achieving that goal!!!!

FISH ON COMING DOWN!!!!!

TheCrabbyBanker88
09-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Take the time to learn some good knots. My generation seems to love the palomar for some reason. The palomar works well with braid but mono and fluro lines get pinched and break. Fishing stories are awesome; but i like catching the fish personally.

I like the clinch, improved clinch, trilene and now the fish n fool knot too since sgs recommended it.

Bigg A
09-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Use your drag wisely. Use a scale to measure it. You ever see a calm old timer break off a fish? No because they are Zen fish slaying masters. They take their time and let the fish beat itself.

What kind of scale do you recommend to measure the drag?

I've seen plenty of old timers lose fish.....it happens

Alot of anglers thumb there spools to slow down fish....why is this a bad idea?

FISH ON COMING DOWN!!!!!

Bigg A
09-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Sometimes you under estimate the power of a freight train.

Fish on!

Especially when you run out of shoreline to chase the fish

FISH ON COMING DOWN!!!!!

IronClad
09-09-2013, 04:09 PM
yep ive had to thumb my spool alot this year to try and get the fish to slow down and turn back up river so they didnt end up back in the ocean..

NaughtyFlashLures
09-09-2013, 04:13 PM
+1 on the thumb... Mine might be blistered from today....

IronClad
09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
+1 on the thumb... Mine might be blistered from today....

mine currently has lines burned into it from my braid :D

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-09-2013, 04:21 PM
A spring scale. Reel needs to be on the rod your going to use pull on line and measure resistance of rod and drag.
What reels are you guys using that you need to thumb them? What capacity I mean, not knocking any reel.
If its an issue maybe a larger size? I've had to thumb big sturgeon before fishing alone. 10% of them get the point and turn, the other 90% say f%*? You and keep on trucking. And I only did it because I don't want no prehistoric fish towing around 245 yards of 15lb test.
**And before every word gets picked apart- obviously there are exceptions to everything and this doesn't apply to all of you great slayers of all things that swim. Like my previous comment, it goes for the others. The new guys and the lurkers who read these boards.**

IronClad
09-09-2013, 04:25 PM
My reel Abu Garcia (http://abugarcia.com/products/reels/low-profile-baitcast-reels/revo/revo-toro-nacl) in the 60HS series. spooled with 50lb power pro (roughly 300 yards) on a 10 foot 8-17 shimano clarus. I've had some fish this year pull on my max drag (22lbs) like it wasnt even set. Ant and chris ( cal ndn) has seen it first hand :D

CAL.NDN
09-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Ok ya lost me on the Palomar knot all my big fish have been landed on Palomar from mono on my hook. I rarley have break offs my drag must be fine and my Palomar works great. Turn fish turn fish turn fish head control. Lwt em run gain back let em run gain back repeat till fish is tired out.

49erbassman
09-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Yep Palomar knot here as well and the only time it's an issue is when I don't tie it correctly. I use a curado 301 on a 8'6" med/hvy clarus and thumb it for more control. Each fish fights different and thumbing gives me more control in my opinion :)

Fish on!

WhopperStopper
09-09-2013, 04:46 PM
I am currently using a 200 size shimano lo profile baitcaster. I can only spool up about 145 yards of #50 braid so I have to thumb the spool on almost every salmon I hook. You just have to know the limits of your gear. Once it peels about 100 yards off the reel, the sweat starts dripping, thumbs burning, and I'm sprinting downriver to keep up haha....but that's what its all about for me. I want that challenge. Plus the smaller reel is lighter and comfortable to cast for hours.

I would love if shimano made a 300 size chronarch or citica. Not much of a fan of curado. The next best thing I've seen is daiwa lexa 300, but I'm a loyal diehard shimano fan.

Btw, I haven't had any spool me since I've been using this reel. I've har it for about three years. I used to use an abu 6501 c4...it could hold over 300 yards of #50 braid..but it was heavy

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-09-2013, 04:53 PM
That's a sweet set up you've got there. So with 300 yards why thumb them? Why not let them run? Or are you up in a combat zone?

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Maybe I need to get back to a combat zone and try some of these super salmon. The fish in the lower sac fight good but not that good. I haven't done it in a combat since 2004. Guess I have plans tomorrow morning haha

IronClad
09-09-2013, 04:56 PM
That's a sweet set up you've got there. So with 300 yards why thumb them? Why not let them run? Or are you up in a combat zone?

Because where i fish there is alot of current ( river is running around 5700 cfs) and if i dont the fish will be down river around the bend and i dont want to go swim for them since i run out of bank. Once they get a bit too far down we dont usually get them back so we have to do everything we can to keep them from getting past the tree of no return.

Bigg A
09-09-2013, 05:00 PM
A spring scale. Reel needs to be on the rod your going to use pull on line and measure resistance of rod and drag.

Ok thanks.....do I need to measure each time before fighting a fish or is one time ok?

FISH ON COMING DOWN!!!!!

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-09-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm lmfao at the tree of no return. There is a road sign near a snag in hood. Sturgeon know exactly where it is. We used to call it the sign of no return. Those suckers would run right to it.
Yea only onceWill d., untill you clean your reels guts ot adjust your drag, then its a good idea to recheck. Not all reels spec out to factory specs. Especially reels with carbon drags they seem to all he a touch over the specified drag resistance.

CAL.NDN
09-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Lmfao!!!!!!! The tree of no return. Your one funny *******. Matt. But aint that the truth. Thats why i stay at the end of bushes and turn turn turn baby and pray pray pray. I hate the tree of no return.

Bigg A
09-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Yea only onceWill d., untill you clean your reels guts ot adjust your drag, then its a good idea to recheck. Not all reels spec out to factory specs. Especially reels with carbon drags they seem to all he a touch over the specified drag resistance.

Thanks.....I got a feeling I'll be hooking into a salmon real soon here. Fiesta.....are you slaying the chrome somewhere? I'd like to get some on the water experience. Don't need to know your honey hole but I'm dying to hook and land a monster

FISH ON COMING DOWN!!!!!

CAL.NDN
09-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Im rolling so hard.

49erbassman
09-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Lmao you guys wow......I found out Saturday that it gets really deep just past the tree of no return hahaha

Fish on!

CAL.NDN
09-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Lol me to had swin. Never agin thats crazy chit.

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Bigg ant- I haven't been out in 2 weeks, insufficient funds. Getting back in the red tomorrow. Before then I was doing ok but it was a slow pick. My dad and his retiree buddies have been going Mon- thurs and have been averaging a fish a rod. You want to ride with or looking for some spots? Either way I'd be glad to help

Bigg A
09-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Bigg ant- I haven't been out in 2 weeks, insufficient funds. Getting back in the red tomorrow. Before then I was doing ok but it was a slow pick. My dad and his retiree buddies have been going Mon- thurs and have been averaging a fish a rod. You want to ride with or looking for some spots? Either way I'd be glad to help

Are you banking or boating? What technique has been working? Thanks in advance

FISH ON COMING DOWN!!!!!

CAL.NDN
09-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Well i hope not boating. And i would imagine anyone on a boat should never have a bent hook issues. But hey who knows just saying though. If ant goes i want in mabey i can learn also.

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-10-2013, 05:58 AM
On a boat on the sac

Bigg A
09-10-2013, 06:02 AM
On a boat on the sac

Trolling....boondoggling.....on anchor....jigging??

FISH ON COMING DOWN!!!!!

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-10-2013, 10:00 AM
All of the above except boondoggle. Ive never tried it and I'm jot sure but I think you need skinnier water to boondoggle

Bigg A
09-10-2013, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=fiestabanker;955573 I'm not sure but I think you need skinnier water to boondoggle[/QUOTE]

I've never done it either but I think its just turning your boat sideways and drifting down current in holes with roe close or near the bottom.

FISH ON COMING DOWN!!!!!