PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite toy

Katfish
09-15-2013, 12:47 AM
Finally got my new smoker since ol reliable finally gave out. Here she is
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/15/ymuneza3.jpg

So excited don't really know why...

A month without any smoked meats was killing me :grin:

Anyone have any must try recipes I can use to break her in until I get my SALMON? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

49erbassman
09-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Nice one bro! I'm hoping to get a new propane one soon

Fish on!

Line Stretcher
09-15-2013, 07:45 AM
You might try this recipe for trout or whatever. I just came up with it a couple of days ago but it's not anything really new.

1. Fill a large mixing bowl 1/2 way up with hot water from the tap if your water is good or bottled water heated.

2. Place a raw egg in the water and add Sea Salt until the egg floats on end. It takes quite a bit but don't worry.

3. Add 2 cups of Brown Sugar and mix thoroughly.

4. Add 1/4 cup of Terriaki Marinade and mix

5. Add 1/4 cup of Log Cabin Syrup and mix.

6. Add 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce and mix.

7. Add 1 Tablespoon of Lawry's seasoning.and mix.

Place the brew into the fridge until it's back to room temp.

Place the meats into the brine mix, cover and return to the fridge for at least 24 hours. Longer will not hurt it as long as it's in the fridge but I don't know how much longer. My last batch was in for 48 and it turned out excellent.

Remove the meats and place them on a couple of layers of paper towels and place a couple of more layers on top of them.

Pat dry and then remove the top towels and let them dry and come up to room temp.

I smoked my last batch for 6 hours in my Little Chief smoker but you'll need to adjust your time according to your smoker. I also used a combination of hickory and apple wood.

I did 4 good sized fish (3-4 lb) and three day's later there was none left on the plate. I thought it was excellent and apparently so did everyone else.

As a side note: Most of my recipes come from whatever's in the cupboard at the time. The key is the right amount of salt for curing. Too much and you'll be serving it up with a picture of water and too little and it won't cure properly. Using the egg is an old fashioned method but I've never missed when I use it.

GNappers
09-16-2013, 09:10 PM
That looks like a safe. Is that so no one steals your smoked salmon. I am getting hungry with all the smoked salmon and new smoker talk on this and other threads. Get some stains in that.

Katfish
09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
That looks like a safe. Is that so no one steals your smoked salmon. I am getting hungry with all the smoked salmon and new smoker talk on this and other threads. Get some stains in that.

Better not touch my salmon. :grin:

Put some stains in her today. Made up a batch of beef snack sticks. Came out KILLER.

Katfish
09-16-2013, 09:20 PM
You might try this recipe for trout or whatever. I just came up with it a couple of days ago but it's not anything really new.

1. Fill a large mixing bowl 1/2 way up with hot water from the tap if your water is good or bottled water heated.

2. Place a raw egg in the water and add Sea Salt until the egg floats on end. It takes quite a bit but don't worry.

3. Add 2 cups of Brown Sugar and mix thoroughly.

4. Add 1/4 cup of Terriaki Marinade and mix

5. Add 1/4 cup of Log Cabin Syrup and mix.

6. Add 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce and mix.

7. Add 1 Tablespoon of Lawry's seasoning.and mix.

Place the brew into the fridge until it's back to room temp.

Place the meats into the brine mix, cover and return to the fridge for at least 24 hours. Longer will not hurt it as long as it's in the fridge but I don't know how much longer. My last batch was in for 48 and it turned out excellent.

Remove the meats and place them on a couple of layers of paper towels and place a couple of more layers on top of them.

Pat dry and then remove the top towels and let them dry and come up to room temp.

I smoked my last batch for 6 hours in my Little Chief smoker but you'll need to adjust your time according to your smoker. I also used a combination of hickory and apple wood.

I did 4 good sized fish (3-4 lb) and three day's later there was none left on the plate. I thought it was excellent and apparently so did everyone else.

As a side note: Most of my recipes come from whatever's in the cupboard at the time. The key is the right amount of salt for curing. Too much and you'll be serving it up with a picture of water and too little and it won't cure properly. Using the egg is an old fashioned method but I've never missed when I use it.

Thanks for the recipe sgs

Got quite a few trout in the freezer I need to cook up. Will be trying this out tomorrow :grin:

GNappers
09-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Is it possible and flavorful to smoke corned beef? I am Irish.

Jetspray
09-19-2013, 04:41 AM
Is it possible and flavorful to smoke corned beef? I am Irish.

I have done it in the past using sweet woods and a bunch of aeromatics in the water pan (like oranges, mint, or wine). Works great, because the evaporative steam adds the flavors.......Jetspray

GNappers
09-19-2013, 06:48 PM
I have done it in the past using sweet woods and a bunch of aeromatics in the water pan (like oranges, mint, or wine). Works great, because the evaporative steam adds the flavors.......Jetspray

Nice I think that is what I will do soon. For trout/salmon I put a cheap bottle of white in the water pan.

ngt
09-19-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't know about "how to" but I just had some smoked and braised pork tonight out at Papas and Pollo in Sebastopol and it was pretty damn good. My smoker is not so cool looking, but it works ok.

Jetspray
09-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Nice I think that is what I will do soon. For trout/salmon I put a cheap bottle of white in the water pan.

I usually don't go with cheap due to the fact that good is in the racks. I just open a bottle after chilling and add some in, the rest is consumed while waiting. You would be surprised at the things I put in the pan........Jetspray

Katfish
09-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the recipe sgs

Got quite a few trout in the freezer I need to cook up. Will be trying this out tomorrow :grin:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/ytyvu9y7.jpg

Hey Steve my trout sat in your brine all night an day. Just threw em on the smoker :grin:

GNappers
09-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Fire. I just made a seafood soup from salmon carcass as the broth otherwise I'd be doing the corned beef tomorrow.

Katfish
09-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Corned beef is killer from a smoker. I have a recipe 'round here somewhere might see if I can't dig it up.

Katfish
09-21-2013, 12:04 AM
So here's the finished product

Minus a few bites :grin:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/esuqydu9.jpg(yes my dog DEMANDS TO BE IN EVERY SINGLE PICTURE! She's Too dam smart for a dog....:grin: )

Lets just put it this way.....

My ol lady ate 95% of that...,,,.

And she "doesn't like trout"........
Hahahaha..

Excellent recipe only altered slightly....
No syrup...
3 cups brown sugar
And added soy sauce and maple smokehouse seasoning...

Delicous!
:o

Jetspray
09-22-2013, 04:33 PM
That looks like some great candy, I am gonna experiment on some of my freezer stuff this week, might give that a soak in the same stuff:signfishon34hi6zv::salute3sh:.......Jetspray

Line Stretcher
09-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Ummmm, dang that looks good. I gotta get one of those smokers!

GNappers
09-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Just started hunting ducks last year and made duck jerky. Wish I could make some trout jerky. How do you store the smoked trout?

Katfish
09-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Just started hunting ducks last year and made duck jerky. Wish I could make some trout jerky. How do you store the smoked trout?

I dont see a reason you couldn't make trout jerky.

How long are you talking about storing it?

We ate that up pretty quick so I just put in a ziploc in the fridge.

Also duck jerky is killer. This year try making duck snack sticks though. You won't regret it ;)

GNappers
09-22-2013, 09:33 PM
How about pate? Don't know how to do it but would like to try and make it. Snack sticks, hook me up with what that is and info on how to.

Katfish
09-22-2013, 09:39 PM
How about pate? Don't know how to do it but would like to try and make it. Snack sticks, hook me up with what that is and info on how to.

Pâté huh? Yeah that'd be a little different but might not be bad. Let me know how it turns out if you give it a try.

Snack sticks similar to the tillamook snack sticks you buy at a convenience store.

I make them with beef quite a bit and did duck one year and they turned out even better than the beef IMO.

Everyone else seemed to think so to because I can never seem to keep them around for long... Haha

If you want the recipe for em let me know.

Jetspray
09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
You might want to try a pepper rack in your smoker. You can do combos of many types sweet to ballistic hot depending on your taste. I do a mix myself with different meats and sausages mixed in cheeses or cream cheese. They all seem to hit the spot.......Jetspray

King Kooker Ultimate Jalapeño Racks : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cabin/Outdoor-Cooking/Grilling-Accessories%7C/pc/104798880/c/104754780/sc/107806680/King-Kooker-Ultimate-Jalape241o-Racks/1149192.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fgril ling-accessories%2F_%2FN-1104654%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_107806680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 98880%253Bcat104754780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104798880%3Bcat104754780%3Bcat107 806680)

Akasha Twi-Path
09-23-2013, 11:33 AM
so the egg trick is to get the salinity
of the brine right?

Katfish
09-23-2013, 12:25 PM
so the egg trick is to get the salinity
of the brine right?

Correct.