PDA

View Full Version : Rock / ling kayak trip

AnglingWes
09-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Any one interested in a rock/ ling paddle on the south Marin county coast??? Thinking of heading out there in the next couple weeks. I have an idea of where I want to fish, but have only been out there once, on a charter last week. I want to get a couple of folks with some salt experience to go. Pretty sure Matt will go if he can. Let me know if you are interested and I'll solidify the plans.

woolybuggin
09-17-2013, 02:34 PM
I might be down for that. Sounds fun

simplycook
09-17-2013, 09:31 PM
How experienced does one need to be for a trip like this? I've done plenty of fishing on my kay on calm lakes and slow moving rivers but never in the salt before. And I'm really interested in trying because I've never tried salt water fishing in my yak nor have I caught a ling.

Definitely interested depending on the day of the week and my hectic schedule.

AnglingWes
09-17-2013, 09:50 PM
I am an experienced yakker with zero time in the salt. I'd like to get a couple of folks with experience in the area. Matt has fished this spot a bunch before, so I'm trying to coordinate with his schedule. More to come.

WLShafor
09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
I'd be down depending on the date. i also have a spare kayak to lend out maybe we can go half on gas if a fellow sniffer wants to go with me. I have zero experience in salt water. What's all needed to do this via kayak? Maybe post up a check list for us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

LURKER916
09-17-2013, 11:09 PM
For the newbs...

Fishing in the salt on a kayak is completely different than in a lake or a river. Swells, boat traffic, fog, sharks, etc can kill even the experienced kayaker. Plenty of guys go out all the time and have zero problems. I myself stared surfing in my 20s and learned the ocean that way. So when I started kayaking in it I had a healthy respect for the dangers out there.

Proper gear is a must. If u are out there without a life vest, compass, handheld radio, tow line, emergency light, water, wetsuit or dry suit and you can get yourself and your fishin buddies killed.
Not trying to discourage folks, just don't want anyone getting hurt. The ocean is something to respect. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable being out there with a ton of dudes who have never been out on the salt for the first time. Group get togethers that groups like NCKA put on are times for newbs to get out there and give it a shot.
Also drinkers, stay home. Seen experienced pros need to be towed in from too much booze.
I've made the mistake of doing stupid **** on my yak in calm freshwater with a few drinks in me and that was almost a nightmare. The ocean will kill you. Period.
Also the rocks that hold the best fishing spots can creep on you, swells will push and pull, currents with drag you along with a snag on a kelp that could be 20-40 feet long. You have braid on your pole and snag that stuff and no knife handy you got problems.
Leaving a bloody fish over the side on a stringer tied to your yak, you got problems. Not having your gear tied down or leashed and a wave sneaks on you, guess what? You got problems and lost gear.

My personal advice, practice in a good cove with a good calm launch and no huge swells and a wind break. Where myself and Wes are headed isn't that spot.

Other words, rooks sit this one out. Try a launch at bodega, stay in the bay. Or go out with a group of experienced dudes.
Headwaters has get togethers they do out there for crab trips. Check with them on dates.

Another smart thing to do is go out with NO FISHING GEAR and just practice launching in the surf and landing. A two-four foot wave can flip u on a beach landing. And there goes your gear.

Another safe place to try for your first is Santa Cruz. Just watch the tide reports and swells and weather reports.

Other than all that doom and gloom the ocean is just friggin awesome to fish in off a kayak. Wish I still lived closer at times.

AnglingWes
09-18-2013, 09:41 AM
OK, so after much research and discussion, Matt and I decided that a trip to the area I want to fish is not really a good idea due to the high risk for noobie salt yakkers. Aside from the difficult access, tough launch and landing, and issues paddling around the reef, there are also sharks. Its not terribly common for a shark to attack a kayaker, but there's enough other threats to be aware of without constantly looking over your shoulder for something coming up to take your catch off the stringer for a snack before they take a chunk out of you.

We are going to hit Bodega Bay instead, which is much more forgiving with the same quality fishing. I'm not sure exactly when yet, but I'll let you all know when we finalize the plans.

My goal is to get some experience on the salt so we can put together a Sniffer Sponsored Rock/ Ling/ Butt outing in the future. I can't really host the event until I feel confident that we can maintain the safety of the participants to some degree. Will keep you all posted.

GNappers
09-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Get over to California City and see if the salmon are moving through. I think the bay would be a better bet for a first time trip. The bay does get bumpy but sounds like the striper are picking up from Marin to Pinole. Water is shallower and 2 hours before high tide to 2 hours after is good when the water is not chocolate. We have a club in Richmond which I would like to see if I was there we could do an event. Gate, ice, cleaning station, and wash down. Around Point Pinole is Hercules which can be clean when Pinole has grass in the water. Went cod fishing out of Fort Ross I believe, and we parked for free and carried our kayaks down to the water and it was an easy launch off the beach and not that far out to the rocks. I'll call my buddy and see where we went. It was the most fun I had rock cod fishing since I felt like I was working for the fish. It was fun till somebody yelled fin and while my buddy headed towards it I booked it for shore. Ended up being a log but when you talked about this trip I didn't want to bring up sharks since one was seen recently out there. On the day we went I wore sandals. Shorts and a vest and I believe the water was warm. We out our fish in the holds and cleaned then on shore. I used squid imitations. I'd say Tomales Bay since they have had stripers picked up recently and some butts, but you know who breeds there.

LURKER916
09-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Biggest great white I've ever seen was when I was kayaking alone in Tomales.

Nah, I'll pass.

striperking13
09-18-2013, 08:04 PM
The OFFICIAL AHTV: Chompy the shark - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puNhvXutVjQ)

Check this out....

striperking13
09-18-2013, 08:05 PM
And he look like he was pretty close to the shore as you can see the shore in the background lol... Be safe Sniffer's......FISH ON

GNappers
09-18-2013, 09:20 PM
What do you do when one breaches next to your kayak like that? That's why I'll never swim or kayak in Tomales Bay.

Racinrob
09-18-2013, 10:10 PM
What do you do when one breaches next to your kayak like that? That's why I'll never swim or kayak in Tomales Bay.

Clean your shorts when you get to shore.

Racinrob
09-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Where were you and Matt headed at first Wes? Ill take you out somewhere if you want also. The more north you head the better it gets usually.

striperking13
09-18-2013, 11:01 PM

ahhah same thing he did.... take like 30 seconds to finally realize what just happen and let out a scream... If you didn't watch carefully.. The shark comes back and finish off the breach right under the yak and takes his fish. No thank you ahhah lol... FISH ON

Katfish
09-18-2013, 11:50 PM
The OFFICIAL AHTV: Chompy the shark - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puNhvXutVjQ)

Check this out....

If you think that's scary how about this one..?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eoiWtj-N49w&feature=related

At least the other shark was after the fish... This one wanted the FISHERMAN. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

AnglingWes
09-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Where were you and Matt headed at first Wes? Ill take you out somewhere if you want also. The more north you head the better it gets usually.

I fished shallow between Drakes Bay and Stormy Stack on a charter last week and wanted to hit some of the same areas via yak. Access is tough, and being as I've never been on salt before, we decided to head to calmer waters.

LURKER916
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm down for following Rob! He knows his stuff quite well on the salt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Racinrob
09-21-2013, 11:36 AM
I just got another rehab job, but I should be able to get away to the coast after this week. Lets do it!

twopatch
09-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Wes,If you go to Bodega,Check the regs. Bodega head is a mlpa. Not even allowed to mooch for salmon.

LURKER916
09-21-2013, 07:54 PM
We are planning next Saturday, hope it all works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnglingWes
09-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Slight change of venue. Matt and I are going to head a bit farther North up the coast where the conditions more conducive and the bite is better on Saturday. Hoping this scouting exhibition works out. The weather forecast looks great.

GNappers
09-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Did you go?

AnglingWes
09-30-2013, 04:28 AM
We definitely went. Launched out of Timber Cove around 8:30. Fished for several hours in perfect seas. We both lost about 50 fish but did manage to land some rocks and small lings. Matt definitely had the hot setup.

We learned a ton and will much more dialed in next time. Being on the salt is simply epic. I am going to try to make that trip 4 or 5 times a season next year. May be able to squeeze in another visit this season if the weather holds for a bit.

My First Salt fish via yak:

Other Pics:

Katfish
09-30-2013, 04:50 AM
We definitely went. Launched out of Timber Cove around 8:30. Fished for several hours in perfect seas. We both lost about 50 fish but did manage to land some rocks and small lings. Matt definitely had the hot setup.

We learned a ton and will much more dialed in next time. Being on the salt is simply epic. I am going to try to make that trip 4 or 5 times a season next year. May be able to squeeze in another visit this season if the weather holds for a bit.

My First Salt fish via yak:

Other Pics:

Been following this awhile. Glad to see it was a success!!

Thanks for the report Wes looks like a blast. Nice looking rockfish you got there.

From the pictures it looks to be very calm.

I'm sure your future posts will inspire many to research the requirements for takin that next step to salt. I'm already reading up on it but far from prepared. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

AnglingWes
09-30-2013, 05:14 AM
Yeah, I was a bit worried about what to expect leading up to the trip. However, within about 10 minutes of paddling into the rollers, I felt 100% secure and comfortable with my yak. The seas were about as calm as they get on Saturday, but there were still 3-5' rolling waves blowing thru us every 15-25 seconds. It was a strange feeling at first, but you quickly acclimate to them. I would not want to be out there if the wind was blowing in rough seas.

LURKER916
09-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Wow.

That's crazy right there.

GNappers
09-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Good job. Definitely different from fishing in a boat. Harder to get a limit but more rewarding.