PDA

View Full Version : Tips for rockfishing Capitola?

namjagerungbengi
09-24-2013, 12:51 PM
I'll be renting a skiff this Saturday to target rockfish. Any specific tips on locations? Kelp beds, reefs, etc?

I got some shrimp flies, berkley grubs, and some metal jigs I'll be dropping.

FishGuyService
09-24-2013, 03:14 PM
I would stick to the kelp. Always had good success dropping 2-3" scampi jigs with some scent on them. Work the entire water column as many rockfish can be suspended. Also the sandy areas between kelp patches for flatfish. Look for birds working and toss swimbaits through the bait ball. Got white seabass that way as well as stripers and salmon!!

If you have GPS ask the guy at the boat drop for some reef coordinates and work those areas.

Good luck!

Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

F33rNoFish
09-24-2013, 05:31 PM
50-100' of water close to cement ship for larger 'buts!

SC3 was the ticket for us a cpl weekends ago. Didn't even touch the kelp beds since it was a red tide and there was so much bait.

So, if still a bit red and too much bait head out farther or look for cleaner waters and reefs.

fnf

namjagerungbengi
09-25-2013, 11:35 AM
I changed my plans to go out if Santa Cruz instead. I hear the SC3 buoy is a good place to start. Is the natural bridges area productive?

MrAnchovy
09-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Tip... Get out there as early as possible. As in you're there and waiting for the guy to open up. Also you might find a $5 coupon at the website. Not sure if it's good during the salmon season. When we fish that area, the bite shuts down after noon, so try and get your fish early. We've tried fishing the afternoon and we found that the ocean gets rough and the bite will shut down.

FishGuyService
09-25-2013, 04:01 PM
The wind whips up at around noon/one aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

namjagerungbengi
09-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Tip... Get out there as early as possible. As in you're there and waiting for the guy to open up. Also you might find a $5 coupon at the website. Not sure if it's good during the salmon season. When we fish that area, the bite shuts down after noon, so try and get your fish early. We've tried fishing the afternoon and we found that the ocean gets rough and the bite will shut down.

Trust me guys, I'd be on the water as soon as I can. But my cousin refuses to wake up that early. I'm looking at an 8am launch :(

bassman408
09-26-2013, 01:08 PM

+1

Most of the action is early morning. Bite definitely starts to shut down around noon when wind picks up.

namjagerungbengi
09-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Any tips for sea bass? I had no idea these were out there. How do you target them?

MrAnchovy
09-27-2013, 02:11 PM
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209157062894728875788.0004a7ffd196fa5bacdd b&msa=0

Who's your new best friend?

Get out there and slay 'em

Dan

MrAnchovy
09-27-2013, 02:18 PM
http://capitolaboatandbait.com/2011/07/14/boat-bucks-ok-one-more-time

$10 coupon

BigUnInDaBoat
09-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Take sabikis and head north, find the schools of bait near surface as soon as you launch, spend the first hour getting bait (ask for a blue bait tank when you go)

Ask for directions to the SC3 buoy, fish the live bait on 3'ways. 4-6 oz in the morning, unless the current is dead flat. 18" dropper 3' leader, use a small enough hook to not drown and snag your bait.

If you do this, you'll hammer them.

Swimbaits are the next best bet. I've caught halibut lings and tons of rockfish on them out there.

Report back,

fish well

BUIDB

namjagerungbengi
09-27-2013, 08:36 PM
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209157062894728875788.0004a7ffd196fa5bacdd b&msa=0

Who's your new best friend?

Get out there and slay 'em

Dan

Holy cow. This and my iPhone will be all I need. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the coupon also, but it doesn't apply weekends. I'll save it for a weekday trip :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

GNappers
09-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Any tips for sea bass? I had no idea these were out there. How do you target them?
Tell your cousin to get his you know what out of bed before 5. Get to the fishing spot before first light. We put 3 in the boat before first light in 15 minutes a couple of years ago. The sun came up and the bites were not as frequent. First fish I was looking toward the bow letting out 15-16-17-18 feet, tap, tap, tap and fish on right behind the boat. Thought my buddy was messing with my line at first. 25-30 lb fluorocarbon leader, 6-8 feet long. 2 circle hooks or J hooks one snelled 5 inches above the other, preferably one that can slide, and the trailing hook you can use a perfection loop or snell or whatever knot you like. Attach leader to a barrel swivel then main line to the other side. You can put an egg sinker above the swivel if you want. I go fly line no weight in the early morning. Trail hook through the head and the top through the mantel. I believe we fished between 40-60 feet of water. Bring a parachute or buckets which may be necessary if your drift is too fast. Try letting out closer to the boat earlier in the morning then farther out as the day goes on. If it is slow and you see birds, pick up and move. Don't run over the fish or right under the birds. Don't get too close to another boats drift or jam through the fleet. These fish are skittish. If you hook up you will get other boats coming over to where you hooked up but I say go back to your drift. I have heard 2 different tactics on drag setting. Tighter drag while the pole is in the holder then loosen it up during the initial run. Another way is loose drag then tighten once you hook up. I'd rather loosen my drag during a fight since they have such hard mouths and I want that hook buried. Last year we dropped a 3-way setup to the bottom with squid and picked up 3 halibut each day to 18 pounds. Maybe bring a sabiki and get your own squid even as you drift. Throw them in some ice to kill them. Fresh squid is key but it is not impossible to catch WSB on the box stuff. The initial bight will leave your heart pounding and you may have to jump on the wheel and chase these bad boys.

speedie408
10-11-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm planning to go out there this Sunday myself. Some great info on this thread!

One question guys... what type of swimbait should I be using?

MrAnchovy
10-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Try a 4 or 6 inch Big Hammer with a 1 to 3 oz jig head. Use lighter if you can, but try and fish with your line as vertical as possible. You wanna bounce the jig on the bottom. Don't drag it a 1/2 mile behind you, you'll get hung up. If you do hang up, take the reel out of gear, get some slack and then put it into gear and bounce it out of the snag. Bring extra jigheads and rubber baits. You will likely lose a couple.

Good luck,

D

namjagerungbengi
10-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Try a 4 or 6 inch Big Hammer with a 1 to 3 oz jig head. Use lighter if you can, but try and fish with your line as vertical as possible. You wanna bounce the jig on the bottom. Don't drag it a 1/2 mile behind you, you'll get hung up. If you do hang up, take the reel out of gear, get some slack and then put it into gear and bounce it out of the snag. Bring extra jigheads and rubber baits. You will likely lose a couple.

Good luck,

D

I ordered 6" Berkley Gulp Grubs, but in search of some heavy jig heads... having trouble finding them online. I'll probably have to stop by a store.

bassman408
10-11-2013, 01:27 PM
I ordered 6" Berkley Gulp Grubs, but in search of some heavy jig heads... having trouble finding them online. I'll probably have to stop by a store.

Mel Cottons should have jigheads. I'd suggest grabbing 2,3, and 4's. I use mostly 3oz at Capitola. While you're at it, grab a pack of the kalins scampi plastic in white or glow. Those are killer for lings, cabs, and rockfish. And some big hammers of course.

GhostSlayer
10-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Whats up guys,
I'll be going on saturday 10-19-13 out on the rental boats in Capitola.
I've had very good outtings at capitola for past 3 years. One key advise from me to you is to buy a GPS. Mark all the spots you hook up on. That way you have the spots marked and can go back to them again and again. Also bring a small note pad so you can write down what you hooked up at that particular spot.
For rock cod I usually use the pretied rock cod rigs. I've had very good luck with white and red-white. Tip it with small stirps of squid. I usually use a 8-10 oz weight. Once I get to the spot just drop it down to the bottom, crank it up a few cranks and just jig it up and down.

For lings I use a threeway swivel. For the leader I tie a treble hook at the end and right above that I snell a single hook (Basically a Halibut rig). For the weight I usually use 12 lb test just in case the weight gets caught you'll have an easier time breaking it off. Tie this to your main line. Live bait is great for lings. I've caught quite a few lings on live bait.
There is plenty of bait out there. When you drop down this rig with live bait, drop it slow so that your line does not tangle around the rig. Bounce it on the bottom and wait for a strike.
If the drift is to fast it may be difficult to stay on the bottom. A slower drift is ideal.
Capitola will give you a map that provide GPS coordinates. A GPS would come in handy in this case.
Tight lines,

GS