PDA

View Full Version : Smoked salmon

Katfish
09-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Since I have failed to get out and catch me a salmon so far this year my buddy was nice enough to bring some over today.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/25/yte2atyp.jpg

Does anyone have a good recipe for the brine they want to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

GNappers
09-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Here's is dry rub and wet brine I made up.
Dry Rub Ingredient's- Lowry's Seasoned Salt- -Pepper
-McCormick's Crushed Pepper flakes -Brown Sugar
-Sugar -Regular Salt
-Sosalt Sea Salt. -Maple Syrup

Directions: Rub seasoned salt into fish covering meat. Rub pepper, then brown sugar, then salt, then sea salt, then sugar, then pepper flakes, then syrup. I wanted to rotate layers of sweet and salty but it may have been better to mix it all together and start with the syrup. Place in fridge for 12 hours then removed and rinsed off the salt and added syrup, cinnamon and red pepper flakes.

Wet Brine Ingredient's- Soy Sauce 2 tbs, lemon Juice 2 tbs, teriyaki 4 tbs, mustard 1/3 cup, 1/3 bottle of beer, 1/3 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, dash of wasabi, Tapatio 5 dashes and 1/3 veggie stock or water.
Directions: Mix ingredients in blender and pat salmon dry. Place in baking pan. Rub salmon with brown sugar then cover with brine and place in fridge rotating every 4 hours. Brine 12 hours or more and remove, drain and pat dry. I start the coals while letting the fillets air dry. To me it is better to start the coals without lighter fluid with kindling and wood in a separate barbecue. I just keep adding coals to the barbecue so they can go in the smoker nice and white and this speeds up the smoking process for me. I have pans in the smoker that I can add beer or wine to add flavor to the fish.

The smoking. I used hickory most of the time and I put the chips in a strainer the in bowl of water so I can reuse the water. Brine salmon on bottom and Dos Equis in the pan and dry rub pieces above. Sometimes I will add a little brine to the chips or rosemary to the coals or liquid pan. After 1 hour I added coals and chips. I also rotate the liquid pan so it is under the brined salmon. Keep having to add beer, wine or brine to the liquid pan as it tends to evaporate. After 3 hours I removed the tail pieces. After 3 1/2 hours I removed skin, flipped it and put it on the high rack for 40 minutes to make skin chips. I try to rotate racks half way through an flip the pieces when possible if they won't brake apart. After 4 hours remove liquid and smoke a half hour more. I haven't smoked salmon in a year or trout either. Must get out and catch something for the smoker.

Katfish
09-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Here's is dry rub and wet brine I made up.
Dry Rub Ingredient's- Lowry's Seasoned Salt- -Pepper
-McCormick's Crushed Pepper flakes -Brown Sugar
-Sugar -Regular Salt
-Sosalt Sea Salt. -Maple Syrup

Directions: Rub seasoned salt into fish covering meat. Rub pepper, then brown sugar, then salt, then sea salt, then sugar, then pepper flakes, then syrup. I wanted to rotate layers of sweet and salty but it may have been better to mix it all together and start with the syrup. Place in fridge for 12 hours then removed and rinsed off the salt and added syrup, cinnamon and red pepper flakes.

Wet Brine Ingredient's- Soy Sauce 2 tbs, lemon Juice 2 tbs, teriyaki 4 tbs, mustard 1/3 cup, 1/3 bottle of beer, 1/3 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, dash of wasabi, Tapatio 5 dashes and 1/3 veggie stock or water.
Directions: Mix ingredients in blender and pat salmon dry. Place in baking pan. Rub salmon with brown sugar then cover with brine and place in fridge rotating every 4 hours. Brine 12 hours or more and remove, drain and pat dry. I start the coals while letting the fillets air dry. To me it is better to start the coals without lighter fluid with kindling and wood in a separate barbecue. I just keep adding coals to the barbecue so they can go in the smoker nice and white and this speeds up the smoking process for me. I have pans in the smoker that I can add beer or wine to add flavor to the fish.

The smoking. I used hickory most of the time and I put the chips in a strainer the in bowl of water so I can reuse the water. Brine salmon on bottom and Dos Equis in the pan and dry rub pieces above. Sometimes I will add a little brine to the chips or rosemary to the coals or liquid pan. After 1 hour I added coals and chips. I also rotate the liquid pan so it is under the brined salmon. Keep having to add beer, wine or brine to the liquid pan as it tends to evaporate. After 3 hours I removed the tail pieces. After 3 1/2 hours I removed skin, flipped it and put it on the high rack for 40 minutes to make skin chips. I try to rotate racks half way through an flip the pieces when possible if they won't brake apart. After 4 hours remove liquid and smoke a half hour more. I haven't smoked salmon in a year or trout either. Must get out and catch something for the smoker.

Thanks for the tips will be tryin em on the next batch.

Couldn't wait tonight guess I was eager :grin:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/25/zuju8u7u.jpg

I'm thinkin it'll be good ;)

Katfish
09-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Almost time :grin:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/vy8amuge.jpg

Katfish
09-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Into the smoker it goes.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/ymeqyger.jpg

Will let it slow smoke with some alder pucks for a few hours.

Until then crack open a beer and find something to eat while I wait. Makin me hungry... Lol

Katfish
09-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Went and grabbed a six of my favorite brew
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/ujydejyd.jpg

Cooked up some quick chicken fajitas for lunch.

Came out to check the smoker and was greeted by the most inviting smell :grin:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/8amu2aje.jpg

Won't be long now :)

fishing mofo
09-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Is that a teriyaki marinade Katfish?

lookin good!

Katfish
09-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Is that a teriyaki marinade Katfish?

lookin good!

No exact measurements liquid was about 2/3 soy sauce and 1/3 teriyaki. Lots of brown sugar and maple smokehouse. Couple splashes of Worcestershire and a few more of Melinda's. some red pepper flakes. And lotsa black pepper.

Smoked for about 3-4 hours taking tail pieces off first.

Turned out great still need to get a pic of finished product been to busy eating it :grin:

Katfish
09-25-2013, 04:14 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/yje7ujum.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/yju6ebud.jpg

CAL.NDN
09-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Looking good Russell.

Katfish
09-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Looking good Russell.

Thanks Chris! :grin:

It was excellent will be gone in no time. I tried to hide it for myself but that wasnt happening. lmao

GNappers
09-25-2013, 08:43 PM
If you don't eat it all, try to make smoked salmon bisque. Good for the colder months.

Katfish
09-25-2013, 09:23 PM
If you don't eat it all, try to make smoked salmon bisque. Good for the colder months.

Yeah that sounds good on a cold rainy day :)

Ill be suprised if there's even any left by Friday of this batch... Lets just say its been a hit ;) lol

Ill be makin more soon though. Will definitely put some aside for a smoke salmon bisque

PapaGreg
10-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Katfish, looking good!!!!!!!

It's a little late, but here's a REALLY simple brine I use: 1 quart cool water, 1/3 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup of maple syrup (make sure it's REAL maple syrup, not the flavored kind. Let the salmon brine for at least 24 hours, longer is even better. I smoked 5 pounds of salmon with this brine, you could probably do a little more. Actual smoking time varies, you know, some smokers retain the heat better than others, etc. I did mine for 8 hours, but probably could have done it in 7 hours. I left it on a little longer because I brushed the salmon every 2 hours with more syrup and I switched the racks once. I figured some of the heat was lost when i opened the smoker to baste the fish.