PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Alba - 9/28/13

Hamachi_Kama
09-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Fished with Brad aboard the Luty Fish yesterday. Launched @ grey. Conditions were not as forecasted - we had some wind and lots of residual windswell from the weeks blow. Mixed with some small groundswell, it was tough on us! We trudged forward heading for the 31/25 line? Not exactly sure, but the good water we were heading for was that plume just west of the 'bone.

Got to our zone - water went from a cloudy green 58 to a clear, blue-green 61.5 We continued to head west past the break....20 minutes into it - a 4 way on our matching spread of blue over white clones. Good fish too. 25-35lbs. The 3 of us managed to get all 4 to the boat. Now that is a way to start a day. As we continued West, good sign was everywhere - mammals, birds and the like. Water temps and quality continued to rise as well - 62.5 is the warmest we found, and we got our single in it.

The wind and seas continued to build, kinda forcing us to do a downswell troll. By noon, it was just a mess out there, but we kept at it, finishing off the day going upswell. That was the kiss of death for our 3rd guy on board, who was wishing he was on dry land. We maintained a NE heading until the water got cold and green, picked them and headed home. Not a bad half days effort.

Not a whole lot of time for pics, but I did manage this one of Brad:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/basegrinder/1383104_10151649691807314_1341151364_n_zpsad9d24ad .jpg

Ended up with 5 quality fish. All in all a great day. I actually enjoyed being tossed around a bit.

woolybuggin
09-29-2013, 09:00 AM
thats awesome man!! thats deffinetely on my bucket list. fresh tuna!!!! put this report on the homepage check it out here The Fish Sniffer - Monterey Albacore (http://www.fishsniffer.com/reports/details/monterey-albacore/)

Jfitalia
09-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Tomo that is no excuse man! I expect at least 6 pictures from your reports! Haha

good stuff on the slaying and great report.

Hamachi_Kama
09-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Tomo that is no excuse man! I expect at least 6 pictures from your reports! Haha

good stuff on the slaying and great report.

20' ft boat in nauti conditions, when we weren't working, we were hanging on!

Hamachi_Kama
09-30-2013, 01:59 PM
thats awesome man!! thats deffinetely on my bucket list. fresh tuna!!!! put this report on the homepage check it out here The Fish Sniffer - Monterey Albacore (http://www.fishsniffer.com/reports/details/monterey-albacore/)

Thank for hooking it up, WB. You should make every effort to get offshore and fish tuna - these fish are strong as they come, and will test your mettle. Most of all, each fish will make your fish-fighting skills jump by leaps and bounds! A tuna is one of those fish when hooked up, you feel as if you will lose any second.

Offshore fishing is what I've done longer than any other type of fishing. It's the one style of fishing that will keep me up the night before with anticipation.

FishingTone
09-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Congrats on the tuna! Glad you find them in this nasty sea with big swell.
The tuna fishing was great in August out of Monterey bay for 2 weeks and they moved up to Santa Cruz and HMB area, and been there till late Sept. till the weather pushed them further north.

woolybuggin
09-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Thank for hooking it up, WB. You should make every effort to get offshore and fish tuna - these fish are strong as they come, and will test your mettle. Most of all, each fish will make your fish-fighting skills jump by leaps and bounds! A tuna is one of those fish when hooked up, you feel as if you will lose any second.

Offshore fishing is what I've done longer than any other type of fishing. It's the one style of fishing that will keep me up the night before with anticipation.
ya man its deffinetely something im going to have to do. im afraid i will end up like your third guy on board though and be miserable the whole time lol. i might have to wait for a hurricane to push them closer to shore i guess haha.

Ben Fishin
09-30-2013, 09:00 PM
excellent stuff brah!! now let's go get some stripes

dennis l
10-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Nice fish, been thinking about going out and giving it a try :bananachaga: more reports like this and I will GO. Thanks