PDA

View Full Version : Why I Make Fishing Reports

siskiyoufisherman
10-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I have some people ask me why I make fishing reports. Well first I like to fish and second I like to see other peoples catches. With all the reports I have posted and people I have shared spots with when I want to visit other water I find other forum users are more than happy to share their wisdom with me. Thank all of you. Next I live in a town that needs fisherman to survive and I do work for many people in town. My lady bakes and waits tables down by the river and many anglers come in. So in a way I make money off of fishing. Fall fishing in Dunsmuir is very very good with perfect water. Later I will go make a trip down the hill and make a report.

clb101
10-06-2013, 09:45 AM
I have similar thoughts, the few years i have been involved with the forums i have learned more than the last 15 years alone. I am constantly amazed at meeting someone from the forums with a different lure or approch something you would not consider and it out fishes you and changes your mind completly. I too enjoy hearing the fish stories, the videos, pics. It is a wealth of info and i usually have a very hard time trying to figure out where i want to go next, becouse of all the good info. I am having that problem this morning, i am trying to figure out which way to go in the morning... ha Nice problem to have... I am hooked on FS forums.

Hamachi_Kama
10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Great thread.

I write reports for a lot of reasons. First, but in no particular order of importance is that bragging rights are about as inherent in fishing as bait and a rod. That part of it, most everyone gets, but the real benefit is that through shared experiences both good and bad, we all become better anglers. I've been here on the 'sniffer since day one, under several different user tags. I can say with all certainty that I WOULD NOT be the angler I am today without some of the "greats" who have come and gone on this very site - guys who I looked up to and admired not only for their slay-ability, but for their willingness to share and help other anglers achieve their goals. And who doesn't love a good story with some good pics to accompany the story? If it were up to us, we'd probably spend a lot more days on the water, but when you can't, you're left to vicarious means to get your fix, and fishing reports help to sooth the pain until we can once again go out and create our own experiences.

I like to think that I help to carry on the tradition of helping others, while at the same time, enjoy the feedback and kudos for a job well done on the water and at the keyboard. It's inspiring - makes me want to do my best each and every time I'm on the water. But, I am careful not to fall into the trap of fishing so that I can write a good report. I will admit that there are days where I think to myself, "the report is going to be epic." However, to fish for the glory only diminishes the very soul of the act, or that's what I've come to believe.

Most of all, I like to write about the things that often go unnoticed when focused on the fish, alone. It may only be one or two sentences, or perhaps on a good day, a small paragraph. Like the way a particular spot looked all time and what the indicators of that were. These are the nuanced things about fishin that to me, have an equal or greater importance with regard to "cracking the code."

But yeah, bragging rights. ;-)

49erbassman
10-08-2013, 02:24 PM
You guys keep on posting them reports! I for one love them. I have found many new fishing places,techniques and friends from the sniffer over the past year and half and I'm just getting my feet wet.

I enjoy sharing my thoughts and places with others as well. I'm not as detailed in my reports but that is mainly because I just go out and fish when ever I can. I don't take water temps or read tide charts (all though I need to more often) so my reports are a little lack luster but I try and get the best part in there, lure,place,technique, etc. Then of course there is always the bragging part LOL

Hamachi_Kama
10-08-2013, 03:50 PM
You guys keep on posting them reports! I for one love them. I have found many new fishing places,techniques and friends from the sniffer over the past year and half and I'm just getting my feet wet.

I enjoy sharing my thoughts and places with others as well. I'm not as detailed in my reports but that is mainly because I just go out and fish when ever I can. I don't take water temps or read tide charts (all though I need to more often) so my reports are a little lack luster but I try and get the best part in there, lure,place,technique, etc. Then of course there is always the bragging part LOL

Writing fishing reports is like anything else - with mileage, they evolve. I for one read all your reports and glean what I can from them. My point is that nobody needs to be Hemmingway or Twain when it comes to sharing the day - The vast majority of people want to read about what you catch and what you caught it on...and of course, the pic to verify, ha ha.

From a few sentences to full on diatribes - they all hold the same value. I wish more people would post reports because the community at large appreciates them. For every one person that responds, there are 10 who take from it what they will in hope of expanding their horizons. To apply some far-east philosophy: "Every journey begins with a single step." or even better, "A bucket fills drop by drop." We in essence are all buckets, passionate ones. And every "drop" is a step in the right direction.

fishingfrieda
10-08-2013, 04:05 PM
A big fat thank you to all of you who write reports! I am learning so much about many different species of fish from all your reports. Thank you for taking the time to post and answer questions.

:party-smiley-048:

Katfish
10-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Writing fishing reports is like anything else - with mileage, they evolve. I for one read all your reports and glean what I can from them. My point is that nobody needs to be Hemmingway or Twain when it comes to sharing the day - The vast majority of people want to read about what you catch and what you caught it on...and of course, the pic to verify, ha ha.

From a few sentences to full on diatribes - they all hold the same value. I wish more people would post reports because the community at large appreciates them. For every one person that responds, there are 10 who take from it what they will in hope of expanding their horizons. To apply some far-east philosophy: "Every journey begins with a single step." or even better, "A bucket fills drop by drop." We in essence are all buckets, passionate ones. And every "drop" is a step in the right direction.

Poetry hamachi, poetry... :grin: :worthy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

AnglingWes
10-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Good Thread Spoiler: I read reports I search of the Divine Answer, "do salmon really take a bead?"

fishingfrieda
10-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Good Thread Spoiler: I read reports I search of the Divine Answer, "do salmon really take a bead?"

This has the feel of a hit and run!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Marv
10-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Great post!!!

I'm a lot like Tomo, in how I feel about reports.

I like to talk about fishing, and read about it too. Thanks to the sniffer I have hooked up with RideNfish and in just 2 years he has turned me into a stone cold trout fisherman. I can drift, work spinners and spoons, jerkbaits, dead water and so much more.

If you search my profile you can read through some of my posts and see how much this site has made me grow. Not that long ago I was asking how to use power bait and eggs. Now i'm able to help give info on how to jerkbait for browns :) may sound like I'm bragging on myself, I'm not anyone can do it with hard work, I'm bragging on the sniffer and all the knowledgable people on here.

I like to post for all the above reasons (glory, competition, sharing). I can't sing, paint, but as long as the internet and this site is running my fishing exploits will be here foever. If someone in 2045 searches Melones trout threads they will see RideNfish and I rippin' lips :)

Hamachi_Kama
10-09-2013, 02:56 PM

OMG that truly made me L-O-L!!!! Should I even attempt to answer - NO WAY! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

And if fact they eat a bead, does that mean I can keep my legal limit or should I catch and release?

dennis l
10-11-2013, 03:54 PM
I also try to make a report when we go out, not for bragging rights thats not always possible. Hope it will inspire someone to get out and wet a line. I also try to make some comment on a post that I read, big reason to encourage more and let the writer know that they are being read and enjoyed. Keep up the good work. :oldangryman: