PDA

View Full Version : Austin, Tx Fishing

F33rNoFish
10-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Anyone familiar with fishing Austin in late October?

Heading out for work for a week. Wouldn't mind exploring if at all possible.

Panfish, cats, bass, carp, etc.

Thx in advance!

fnf

F33rNoFish
10-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Well, no one chimed in so I did my own homework. Paid off too.

Before I left I packed up my stuff and had no more room in my carry on so I didn't pack a rod.

Once about to land (day time) I saw how many creeks, ponds, lakes and rivers where out there that I quickly started to ask ppl around where the bite was.

Have some family in San Antonio and we talked about meeting half way in Gruene, Tx (awesome little town!) for dinner. Did my research and found that the Guadalupe River runs right through the little town.

Took the chance and headed out to the nearest walmart. Picked up a few various sinkers and hooks, bobbers, beads and snap swivels. Got a 7' medium cheap $25 rod/reel combo and a box of crawlers.

Got to the river at about 12.30p and I kid you not...as soon as the bait hit the water there was action!

First fish was a small large mouth followed by about 15 blugill! I went and explored the river a bit more and found a dam with a rocky bottom. Saw lots of small fish and gave it a go.

In the deeper, darker holes I ended up pulling out these dark panfish with really bright blue green spots. Very pretty fish. Don't know their actual name but if anyone knows what they are feel free and reply (pix below).

Edit - think this may be them: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/greensunfish/

Would've never really thought there'd be so many fish in there since the water was only a couple feet deep and moving pretty good.

At one point I started fishing for the tiniest fish I could hook. Smallest one I got was about 1 1/2"!

It was kinda cool.

Then I decided to go down river from the dam and met a younger dad and his 3 kids. They were fishing while in the river. Prob only hip high water. It was warm. Once the sun died down the bite turned on even more!

Caught literally 20 or more various panfish! A lot I released but the dad and kids weren't having much luck so I gave them quite a few.

Ended up also snagging a med sized, 2 lb+ largemouth with a tiny #12 size hook. Was kinda cool.

Ended my fishing day with lots of fish to remember my Tx trip.

Here are a few of the fish I snapped as well as the dam.

Was a great time out there!

F33rNoFish
10-27-2013, 03:13 PM
More pix...

F33rNoFish
10-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Last two.
Largest spotted panfish and largest LMB of the day.

Katfish
10-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Cool fish an good job on your homework. Those are some beautiful panfish.

I should let you know to be Careful. They don't like panfish on the sniffer. Your only allowed to post pictures of salmon here. Or whatever the powers to be are fishing for at that time.

But props to you from me anyway. Thanks for the report man! :grin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

F33rNoFish
10-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the props!

Didn't know this trip woulda been predominantly panfish. Just the way it worked out.

This IS the freshwater forum though so it should fit.

fnf