PDA

View Full Version : Leader length?

Rugby Lock
10-09-2013, 08:26 AM
When bank fishing and using a sliding sinker setup how long should I make the leader off the bottom?

Marv
10-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Your going to get answers from 6"-6'.

I use a 18" leader, I don't measure just eyeball it. I never do a use a 3'-6' leader and do just fine.

Rugby Lock
10-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks Marv

Cali Duck
10-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks Marv

I usually go 18-24"

Katfish
10-09-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm a longer leader guy myself. I usually run around 24"-30". But depending on where im fishing sometime the trout aren't so close to the bottom or there may be weed growth etc that I'm trying to get the bait above. I've used leaders 6 foot plus before with great results when the conditions called for it. Sometimes changing the leader length is all it takes to start catching fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wallyjr
10-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I usually eye ball it from 20"-26", Depending where I'm at

WallyJr

49erbassman
10-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Depends on where I'm fishing and what time of year. If I'm running power bait and the lake is really cold and I think the fish are higher up in the water column I run 3+'. On a more regular basis it will be 18-24". If you bait isn't floating up or your leader line is too heavy to make it float than it's not going to really matter how long your leader is IMO

Captain Compassion
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
When bank fishing and using a sliding sinker setup how long should I make the leader off the bottom?

Depends on the lake. I usually use 12 - 18 inches. At places like ICR where the fish cruse the bottom looking snales and leeches I use 6 to 8 inches.

CC

panther
10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
When trout are cruising, they generally look up not down. If the lake is deep, I like to use a 36" leader. In a shallower lake, I'll go to 18".

SJPanfisher28
10-09-2013, 11:41 PM
I use a 12 to 18 inch leader when the trout are cruising around at sunrise and sunset and a 6 inch leader at midday when the trout are close to the bottom.

IRISHANGLER01
10-11-2013, 02:23 PM
i always go with a 4-5' leader wherever I am lake fishing and do pretty good. If they are on the bottom they can still see the bait and if they are not then the bait is just that much closer to where they are.

stefanoflo
10-11-2013, 10:27 PM
when I`m stream fishing . Its usually a 3 -4 ft leader with a few shots or even a lead core of some sort
. So far I get more results with the steelhead Drift style setup for trout and I do get a good amount of hits with it
Must be it looks real natural in flowing down stream .
I use trout season to Perfect my steelhead salmon fishing . by trying new setups.
but that's just me . I`m crazy and think too much at times. as you can see in some of my Posts.
Must of been my Younger days in the 80s when i was a toker .
Now I get high on the tug and good Dominican cigars are my drug.

TroutGhost
10-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Sometimes changing the leader length is all it takes to start catching fish.

Plus one on that. If 18-24"" isn't catching I change up shorter or longer. A couple months ago the fish were hitting on short leaders. An older angler who was there from earlier in the morning told me he was catching brown trout with short leaders so I gave it a try. Another angler saw me catching and I suggested shortening the leader and sure enough he started catching, too.

buckman78
10-14-2013, 04:38 PM
If you have two poles, you can one shorter then the other. That usually works for me. Unless im throwing a lure with other pole.

TroutGhost
10-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Wanted to add that if shorter or longer isn't working then that's when I pull out the spoons and start working those from the bank. Gold, half/half (gold/silver), or gold/red if it's sunny. Firetiger, chartreuse, or white if it's overcast, with Firetiger being my first choice.

I think trout eat floating worms and PB out of curiousity. Adventurous bites of opportunity are part of what fish do, sampling new things. But for whatever reason at some times they're simply not curious. So stimulating their instinctual response to chase and eat can work during those times. I prefer spoons because you can usually lob them out further than inline spinners but inline spinners can work fine, too. Crouching can be helpful if the fish are somewhat close to shore.