PDA

View Full Version : Help - dungeness crab killing and cleaning device - survey

DanielHoffman
10-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi All,

I have filed a provisional patent for a device which simultaneously kills and cleans Dungeness crab. It is a simple, hand operated device which splits the crab in half, instantly killing it while simultaneously pulling all the guts out.

Where do the guts go? The crab is placed in the device, belly up. When the blade swings down, the shell and all the guts fall out below, leaving the legs and shoulder meat above. This method separates the meat and the guts very quickly, avoiding contamination. You would want to do this over the water or over a garbage or sink.

Is it safe? Yes, the crab is sufficiently contained in the device and its legs are sandwiched between the two plates on either side. The blade is not sharp, it is a 1/8" aluminum plate, which will not cut you.

I can kill and clean 10 Dungeness crab in under 2 minutes using the device. It has been very useful for me personally, but I would like the opinion of the greater crabbing/fishing community. I know there are several, fairly easy methods for cleaning and killing crab by hand, but I am wondering, is this something you would like or use? The cost would be approximately $20, the weight is about 2lbs. I would really appreciate any criticism, concerns or comments before attempting to move towards commercialization. You are doing me a HUGE favor by providing me with your opinion. Let me know if you would like any other information.

Thank you!

Danny

49erbassman
10-09-2013, 11:49 AM
All though I love to eat crab I have not ventured into fishing for them yet.

May I suggest posting/making a video of the device in action. This may help people give better feedback on it since they won't have first hand expierence.

Welcome to the sniffer by the way!

salmonid
10-09-2013, 11:59 AM
I like to cook mine whole.

May I suggest posting/making a video of the device in action. This may help people give better feedback on it since they won't have first hand experience.

good idea for a video

JB14
10-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Yep. The cleaning part is OK but honestly I don't care about the humane killing method. Just drop them in boiling water and presto, dead crab.

I like to cook mine whole.

CRABBY
10-09-2013, 03:39 PM
All though I love to eat crab I have no ventured into fishing for them yet.

May I suggest posting/making a video of the device in action. This may help people give better feedback on it since they won't have first hand expierence.

Welcome to the sniffer by the way!
+++ 1....Video is a must!!!!

DRF
10-09-2013, 03:52 PM
We clean 50 crab a trip, by hand
I'll put it to good use and send you feed back if you wanna send me one for free. :cool:

BIG_ONE
10-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Video video video - it just doesn't come through my mind seeing that thing in action.

crawdaddundee
10-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Couple of comments.........

1. Cleaning crab raw worst thing you can do for cooking. When cooked with meat exposed, a big percent of the taste and texture is lost to the water and gets way to salty.

2 If you are cleaning crab and then freezing it raw, you might as well eat squid. Once raw crab has been frozen, two things happen. The meat turns icy texture and the taste of crab disapears.

3 There is nothing that beats a fresh cooked crab, thrown into the pot still wiggleing. Mmmm good.

simplycook
10-10-2013, 09:58 AM
As a chef for the past 14 years, I can attest that your first two comments to be true. Cleaning live crab may rid the guts and but it leaves the delicate meat in the body expose while cooking. This deteriorates the texture and flavor on the meat.

As for freezing, I never freeze crabs that I catch fresh. If I can't eat them all in one meal, then that means I caught too much. Only catch what you can eat. Fresh, live crabs are the best.

Now for your invention. I think it is honestly a nice tool. I can see this being used more on king or snow crabs where the majority of meat is eaten in the legs/claws and have smaller bodies. Dungeness have shorter legs and claws, which still holds a good amount of meat, but the body is where the most delicate and flavorful TREASURE is at. Some know this, but few are willing to go that far to get it. Having to get your hands dirty with guts is just part of eating Dungeness crabs.

Couple of comments.........

1. Cleaning crab raw worst thing you can do for cooking. When cooked with meat exposed, a big percent of the taste and texture is lost to the water and gets way to salty.

2 If you are cleaning crab and then freezing it raw, you might as well eat squid. Once raw crab has been frozen, two things happen. The meat turns icy texture and the taste of crab disapears.

3 There is nothing that beats a fresh cooked crab, thrown into the pot still wiggleing. Mmmm good.

DanielHoffman
10-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Video video video - it just doesn't come through my mind seeing that thing in action.

Hi All,

Thank you for all of your feedback. Here is a youtube video of the FIRST prototype in action. This prototype is proof of concept only. It is not what the product will look like. For example, we held the crabs legs down while we split it, where in the most recent design that is not necessary. But as you can see, the device splits the crab and removes all of the guts and gills. Sorry for the poor video, it was meant for research purposes only.

Thanks!

IMG 0822 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpAaQxk2NM4)

Seon
10-11-2013, 04:28 AM
A two man, one crab operation :lolk:. Great idea...thumbs up!

DanielHoffman
10-11-2013, 08:58 AM
A two man, one crab operation :lolk:. Great idea...thumbs up!

Like I said, that video was of the proof of concept prototype. The final prototype does not require two people.

GNappers
10-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Hopefully it catches on. For me all the poop and guts add flavor. Had crab one time that was cleaned halved then boiled and it was like eating crab meat from a can that was boiled. Might be a good product to have if I don't have an ice bath ready and want to pop the top so I don't burn my hands.

SalmoClarki
10-11-2013, 09:15 PM
I like the concept. It would be great if it fit over a five gallon bucket. All the guts and shell fall in, easy cleanup. Since I steam my crab, I prefer this method of cleaning. I can cook more crab with less wait time for the water (beer) to heat up. No more boiling guts for me.

Toxic_Waste
10-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I agree with those who say that cooking live crab whole tastes better. I have a lot of recipes that call for crab meat, but my favorite way is just boiled and cracked, with a little melted butter.

nickyn99
10-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Flat nose shovel works good also.