PDA

View Full Version : Planar Boards

FishGuyService
10-10-2013, 06:15 AM
What are your opinions on style of planar boards? In-line that attach to your line directly or ones that are not?

Thanks!

Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OYD
10-10-2013, 06:46 AM
I have used various brands of inline planer boards but have not tried the large boards where you use a mast and separate planer line since my boat is too small for such apparatus. Inline boards have a limitation to size that can be used since the line release must be able to hold against the pull of the board which increases dramatically as the board size increases. One board I recently tried that was about 8 inches long would not hold my line (false release) when the board got about 10 feet from the boat whereas the much smaller boards do stay connected. When I get the chance, I will try a stronger release on the larger board. The smaller size boards do not take the line as far to the side of the boat as they do behind the boat so the board is off at a severe angle. The smaller boards also do not allow for larger baits that have significant drag but are fine for small baits. I have recently gone to just using a 9 foot rod top lining off the side of the boat with a long setback and can use larger baits than with the in line boards. I have not observed any difference in catch rates between the two methods at the lakes I fish so I expect to decrease my use of in line boards since they take more fooling around with gear and decrease the experience of fighting the fish.
Many of the drawbacks of the in line boards can be obviated by use of the other type but that takes more gear which is an issue for small boats.

FishGuyService
10-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Great! Thanks for your insight! I was thinking that maybe just a longer rod and set further back, nice to see that that idea was a decent one.

Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Koke Machine83
10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
I have been using the in-line planer boards for years... Just been lucky to have someone make them for me!!!! Really custom... They are strong enough to hold up to 2oz. of weight and can go up to 4.0 GPS. The have a built in Foam so you will never lose them. They also came with a Scotty Downrigger release. I have trolled in White Caps and never had a problem. Some Days the Planer Boards out fish the Rods out of the Boat. You can also run two on one side. So if i want i can run six rods and never have a problem. They Are Awesome!!! I run F-13 at 3.7 at Camanche and catch some nice rainbows. I also can run my Grubs at 1.3 and they work great. Just remember, they do not run 90 degrees from the boat. More like 45 degrees... When the fish grabs the lure, the planer boards does stay on. That would be the only fall of having on your line... But with out them, you would not of caught that fish....

Robbie (Koke Machine)...