PDA

View Full Version : Dungie Shore Fishermen!! Get ready!

simplycook
10-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Unlike the boat guys, we shore fishermen have to work much harder to get them Dungies. I saw a few Dungies on the shores around HMB, Pacifica, and Ocean Beach while surf fishing last week. Even hooked one on accident with a plastic grub.

Anyone else on here build their own snares? I've been building my own snares for the past two years with great results. Last year being the best because I found a design that worked the best for casting aerodynamics, snare material, and easy bait loading. My best haul was 4 legal dungies on one snare (probably pure luck!).

Just curious if there any other shore crabbers out there looking forward to the season. Can't wait to be eating Dungeness every week again.

BIG_ONE
10-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Only if I live closer to the bay...hopefully I can find an open schedule to make a trip out to Pacifica and away from the weekend warriors. Surf rod + braid + heavy leader + aerodynamic snare attached to a 4 oz sinker. Bait of choice: Rotten fish(shad, salmon head, catfish, carp, etc).

FishGuyService
10-10-2013, 03:45 PM
I will definitely be taking my three-year-old crabbing this year is all about crabs!!!

Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Odasan
10-10-2013, 08:01 PM
I will defiantly be snaring crab this season. I have been making my own snares for a couple of years now. They cast pretty. I can't imagine cranking in four crabs at one time.

simplycook
10-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Only if I live closer to the bay...hopefully I can find an open schedule to make a trip out to Pacifica and away from the weekend warriors. Surf rod + braid + heavy leader + aerodynamic snare attached to a 4 oz sinker. Bait of choice: Rotten fish(shad, salmon head, catfish, carp, etc).

I've stopped going to Pacifica all together. Crowds, loud crazy music, and typical potheads smoking while fishing. I really don't mind each of the three, but put them together and its not that great of an experience. Especially if you have kids with you.

I know half a dozen other spots that have produced better quality crabs and are easier to reel in than Pacifica.

bassman408
10-17-2013, 11:22 AM
wow...4 legal dungies at once...only in my dreams will I see that...haha.

I take my friends out to snare some crab couple times a year. Don't know many places so I usually take them out to Pacifica. Interesting group of folks there, but most of them have fun just hanging out admiring the scenery and chatting with the regulars.

Aside from that, can't wait to drop some pots at HMB this year!

nayr
10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
+1 on making snares, its fun and you can make them to your own specs. I got a few small patches of sand along the Marin coast that I frequent during crab season. Im not pulling limits of crab out of there but im always the only one and its beautiful.

dapainter
10-28-2013, 08:12 PM
got any pics of your snares? IM planning on being out in pacifica on sat ...would u sell any of your snares? and if so how much?you can just pm me.

simplycook
10-28-2013, 11:09 PM
got any pics of your snares? IM planning on being out in pacifica on sat ...would u sell any of your snares? and if so how much?you can just pm me.

You're brave to be heading to Pacifica that Saturday. The pier is going to be crowded with people and the "regulars" will likely camp out all weekend. Throwing snares off the beach should work too but again, it'll be crowded as hell that weekend.

If you want to hook up and head to the north bay, then PM me. I live in Albany (just north of Berkeley). I plan on being out that Saturday as well.

nelson9
10-29-2013, 05:21 PM
What type of line and reel are used for casting snares?

dapainter
10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
10ft surf or bigger with 20-60lb braid....................

dapainter
10-29-2013, 07:48 PM
@...simply>>>>i got 4-5 other people that are going>>>and they are driving>>>plus i need to experience it...

WhopperStopper
10-31-2013, 11:33 AM
What type of line and reel are used for casting snares?

Like already mentioned, I would use a surf rod 10' or longer with a big spinning reel. 20# line or heavier would my suggestion. I aslo highly recommend using a hi-vis line if you are going to be fishing on a crowded pier like pacifica so you can keep track of your line and untangle easier. I personally use a 12' ugly stik paired with a shimano baitrunner 6500 Spooled with 65# hi-vis power pro braid . My other rod is a 10' ugly stik paired with a shimano baitrunner 4500 spooled with 50# power pro braid. IMO its easier to cast snares using a big spinning reel.

nelson9
10-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Wow! You guys bring out the heavy gear. I don't have anything close to a 10 footer.

simplycook
10-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Wow! You guys bring out the heavy gear. I don't have anything close to a 10 footer.

When casting from shore, it's nice to have a longer rod to keep your line over the surf. Otherwise, the breaking waves will just push your snare all over the place. From a pier, hell you can use a trout rod.