PDA

View Full Version : halibut fishing in santa cruz from shore

fcc
10-09-2005, 08:28 PM
hey im new to halibut fishing (period). my friend told me that santa cruz was a good place, but im not sure how to set up, when to go, and where in the area to fish? when is the season to fish for them usually? oh and ill be fishing from shore. any help will be nice! thanks!

-fcc

ken_fishnfool
10-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Since no one else took this one on...
I've only seen a few halibut caught from the shore (surf) in a whole lot of years of fishing. They were caught at Seacliff Beach (south of Santa Cruz) on large castmasters thrown waaaaaaayyyy out there and retrieved along the bottom. This only happened at the end of summertime.

If you're talking from the piers, that's a different story!
I have caught, and seen caught, halibut using live bait on Santa Cruz pier, Capitola pier, and the Cement Boat pier at Seacliff Beach(usually using a pier float set-up).
This also happened in late August through September, when the anchovies and mackeral are in close to the surf.

Most of us fish for halibut from boats, as it's a lot easier to cover lots of ground, so you don't have to wait for them to come to you.

Hope this answers your question. ;)

Gundalba
10-12-2005, 08:38 PM
So... what does pier flot setup look like?
And what was the setup for surf casting & distance they casted? ???

Thanks

Big_Easy
10-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Pier float fishing: slide a bead on your line first, second slide on your float, third slide on a 1 oz. barrel weight and then tie on a barrel swivel and then add about 1 foot of leader and your 1/0 size hook. You then will need a piece of rubber band to tie above the bead to control your depth. You want your live bait to be about 6-8 inches above the bottom. ;) Fishing in the surf, sorry you'll have to wait for someone to answer that question! :-/

put_em_back
10-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Try New Brighton in the summer. The beach is very protected and you can catch halibut in there with swimbaits, hair raisers and spoons. The fish come into very shallow water. We've caught them 100 ft from shore in our boat and the water was only 6 ft deep.

The fly fisherman get them in there every summer. Not a HUGE run, but they are there.

fcc
10-19-2005, 07:50 PM
thanks u guys! I'm guessing that right now wont be any good... when the time comes ill probably just check back with u guys and update myself!

Gundalba
10-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks BE for the explanation on setup.

FCC, if you are heading down to New Brighton, watch for the salads.
I was there couple of weeks ago and lost all my sinkers to big lump of loose kelp in about hour and half.... >:(
Hopefully it is cleared by now but there were everywhere...