PDA

View Full Version : D6 tag filled, my first buck! 12 points!

BigUnInDaBoat
10-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Filled my D6 tag this evening at 5:51pm. 20 yard shot, double lung, went 35-40 yards and dropped. Redhead Kronick XT Bow, blackout arrow and a rage slip cam broad head (3 blade)

This has become an obsession for me, a huge part of me is glad this madness is over. First year deer hunting, first time taking game with a bow and arrow.

I don't think I'll ever see another buck of this caliber within range in my lifetime.

I feel like I have hit the lottery...

WLShafor
10-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Nice buck that's a wall mount for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

hooks
10-14-2013, 03:45 AM
very very nice!! Congrats on a great buck. Scratch that off you bucket list.

toomanyhobbies
10-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Congrats! What a beast. That's a great buck for anyone, an amazing way to get on the board.

salmonid
10-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Sweet buck!

Congrats on your first one,

Reel Fun
10-14-2013, 10:57 AM
That fire up there has them on the move I here? Nice buck and bonus with a stickflicker!!! RF

BigUnInDaBoat
10-14-2013, 11:25 AM
That fire up there has them on the move I here? Nice buck and bonus with a stickflicker!!! RF

Very much so, thanks guys!

BigUnInDaBoat
10-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Here are a few more pics of his rack.

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/3527/aoci.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/6874/1jfz.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/2478/xum3.jpg

salmonid
10-14-2013, 06:38 PM
You should just quit deer hunting right now, you'll probably not get another trophy like this year's! But you are going to spend a lot of time trying. LOL. What a great buck,

Best,

hooks
10-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Get that rack scored and put it in Pope and Young. Non-Typical

BigUnInDaBoat
10-14-2013, 06:49 PM
You should just quit deer hunting right now, you'll probably not get another trophy like this year's! But you are going to spend a lot of time trying. LOL. What a great buck,

Best,

Thanks, you know I've heard that at least a dozen times today!

BigUnInDaBoat
10-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Get that rack scored and put it in Pope and Young. Non-Typical

Is it a non typical? What makes it that? Thank you for any advice you can give on it!

hooks
10-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Is it a non typical? What makes it that? Thank you for any advice you can give on it!

5 points on one side and 7 on the other. I think you can score it as a typical, not sure, but you would take a beating on the point deductions.

Typical would be like a 6x6 with all the points looking equal on both sides. Any variance in length and circumference is deducted from the gross score.

Also, I don't think the brow tines, or eye guards are considered points for scoring.

DRF
10-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Become a member of SCI...

Pope and young, boone and crocket.
Is a joke...

If you killed it west of I-5 its considered a blacktail and would probably score good. If it was killed east of I-5 it's considered a mule deer by these two organizations and you'll have a hard time getting it scored by them...
Plus they deduct points for it not being a perfect set of bone...

SCI doesn't take any deductions from the animal....

hooks
10-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Minimum score for Pope and Young for non typical is 170 after deductions. I don't see 170 on your deer.

The Pope and Young Club - A Leading Bow Hunting and Conservation Organization (http://www.pope-young.org/minimum-scores_charts.asp)

Jerks is right though at SCI you get full credit for everything.

Line Stretcher
10-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Screw the points systems other people use - I score it a perfect 10. 5 points for being a beautiful first buck and 5 points for being one helluva great shot.

I blew the rack off my first buck and still didn't take it down. Never did find it.

Great job!

BigUnInDaBoat
10-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Screw the points systems other people use - I score it a perfect 10. 5 points for being a beautiful first buck and 5 points for being one helluva great shot.

I blew the rack off my first buck and still didn't take it down. Never did find it.

Great job!

Thank you SGS I feel the same way. Along with providing meat for my friends and family, I was also blessed to take, in my humble opinion a amazing animal that was just past his prime.

I've put in a lot of hours, and passed on at least 4-5 other legal, but small bucks, glad I followed my instincts, used scent killing stuff and walked slow.

Thank you guys for all the kind words,

This has made my week.

BUIDB

hooks
10-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Thank you SGS I feel the same way. Along with providing meat for my friends and family, I was also blessed to take, in my humble opinion a amazing animal that was just past his prime.

I've put in a lot of hours, and passed on at least 4-5 other legal, but small bucks, glad I followed my instincts, used scent killing stuff and walked slow.

Thank you guys for all the kind words,

This has made my week.

BUIDB

That is a great deer. I congratulate you on you patients.

viper2
11-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Great buck. We call that a 6x4 out West even though it kinda looks like a whitetail rack. Eye guards are not counted on muleys or blacktails. I once saw a blacktail taken from Red Bluff that was a perfect whitetail rack, 6 points on each side off the main beam. Anyway, congrats. Not a lot of deer taken with a 26 inch spread in CA.

Reel Fun
11-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Looks like a white tail but we know its not......does not look like a black tail either.....maybe a muley/blacktail hybrid? RF

BigUnInDaBoat
11-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Looks like a white tail but we know its not......does not look like a black tail either.....maybe a muley/blacktail hybrid? RF

Just a California Mule Deer.

Thanks for all the kinds words,

Look at him everyday.

Still cant believe it.

BUIDB

USED 2 B IRON
01-19-2014, 04:08 PM
EXCELLENT,WITH A BOW THATS GREAT.:wow_2: !!!

ojfishin
01-21-2014, 09:27 PM
that's a nice buck. i like the rack to me the more un usual the better :)

Cali Duck
01-22-2014, 09:19 AM

Best,

SECOND THIS! hahahaha

BigUnInDaBoat
01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
SECOND THIS! hahahaha

I've actually seen a bigger buck the last few weeks in the area that I killed this bruiser in. Let's hope he dosent get hit by a car/killed by a M. lion.

elgallo
01-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Nice job amigo. Most of us took awhile longer. In my case a whole lot longer to kill myn first buck in CA. Congrats, well done.

BigUnInDaBoat
01-31-2014, 06:03 PM
Nice job amigo. Most of us took awhile longer. In my case a whole lot longer to kill myn first buck in CA. Congrats, well done.

Thank you, one day I hope to add a big whitetail? like that to my bucket list. That thing is a BEAST

elgallo
02-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Thank you, one day I hope to add a big whitetail? like that to my bucket list. That thing is a BEAST

Thanks for that it took 40 years. Go East young man. You wont be sorry. My 180+ 250# Whitetail came out of Ohio. I'm Concentrating on getting to Alberta for HUGE Mulies (170"+) in the Porcupine Hills this year but none of my amigos have the time nor $$ to do so.

BigUnInDaBoat
02-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks for that it took 40 years. Go East young man. You wont be sorry. My 180+ 250# Whitetail came out of Ohio. I'm Concentrating on getting to Alberta for HUGE Mulies (170"+) in the Porcupine Hills this year but none of my amigos have the time nor $$ to do so.

That mount, that is a thing of beauty. My grandfather hunted deer and elk with a serious passion. My father never hunted big game but was into birds. I wish I'd of been old enough to bond with my grandfather, hunting would of been our connection. As a kid he hated me running around the cabin in Gann's Meadow shooting anything that ran, flew or skeedaddled.

I get it now, and I miss him.

I have his Remington 700 30.06 and the first three times I fired it at 100 yards all three were high, but nearly touching. I need to kill a buck with it this year...

TWO TAGS, going to make it happen.