PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out perch fishing?

SturgeonVirgin
10-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Looking for a report, thanks, ;)

Rock_Hopper
10-13-2005, 08:27 AM
GREAT signature, Mr. T. ;D

Things have been slow in the Bodega area, although I haven't been out for awhile due to high winds and huge swells.

ken_fishnfool
10-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Sunset Beach area is still just hand sized little guys. :-/
Half to one pounders at Santa Cruz and New Brighton.
I heard of a rumor of 2 pounders at Manressa.
A friend told me things are pretty slow around Seaside and Monterrey.

I haven't had time to check out north of Santa Cruz yet (probably lots of broken up seaweed as is usual this time of year).

Lawaia
10-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Since Friday, 10.07.05 up to today, big swells have been keeping the perch guys off the beaches north of Santa Cruz and HMB area. Made some phone calls and alot of guys are waiting for the swells to drop before they go out again. So nothing new to report yet.

wading2fish
10-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I caught two perch on accident two weeks ago in Redwood City slough. I went fishing in this slough that is well known for sharks and rays and saw a guy hook a striper I guess at about thirty inches on squid and a hi lo rig. So the next time out I thought I would catch some live bait and try to hook into a striper, I was thinking probably bullheads or mudsuckers would be found in this slough. I had a 7' bass rod with a Shimano Sedona 4000 and 8 lb line with a hi lo rig and size 8 salmon egg hooks. I baited up tiny pieces of shrimp. Soon enough I saw the tap taps. I ended up catching a three inch walleye perch and a 9 inch what looked like a BSP :o. I threw the BSP back and used the three incher for live bait. I ended up catching a 35" leopard with it.

w2f

watt_duino
10-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Salmon Creek. Thursday. Morning high tide. Fished 9am to 11am on the first 1/2 mile of the beach south of the creek. 2 small walleyes on 1.5" MORF. No takers on Pumpkin Seed. No sign of redtails.

I was dressed for fog and cold. By 10am I could have been in shorts and wading barefoot. Absolutely beautiful day and no one else on the beach. Not even surfers.

There was an enormous amount of seaweed on the beach. Large knotted balls of kelp, sections of sea palm, clumps of tangled grass. None in the water. Some beaches look that way after a winter storm.

Sam

BASNFAN
10-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi Guys,
You can tell by my handle, I am mainly a fresh water bass fisherman but not a tournament guy. Anyhow, I am heading over to Pacifica this next Wednesday for 5 days and hope to do a little perch'n while there. My only other experience at this was in July down at Moro Bay where I did have some luck. Now I am anxious to try it again if the swells are down by then. Is it too late to expect a striper or two? If anybody has any advice for this newbie, I would appreciate it.
BASNFAN :)

MB_Kevin
10-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey basnfan I'm from Pacific. I seen in the fish report. Some striper's and perch 1-4 pounds. Don't know about the swells haven't been out for a few weeks. I'm mostly a freshwater fisherman too been learning a little about the salt water. So there is a chance.
Waiding2fish. I was in the area we fished last week and a guy pulled up and got a striper in about 5 min. ??? he kept it and it was only 12-14" :-/ I was going to say something but I don't think they spoke much English and they where out fishing me. they also got a smelt and a shark within a half hour. I only got a sting ray.

SturgeonVirgin
10-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks all for the responses, planned on getting to the beaches in the city, never got to that point. Closest I got was about 45 minutes at Berkeley pier for NADA. Nice day though

wading2fish
10-15-2005, 08:13 AM
MB,
Yeah I hate to see that, guys keeping juvenile stripers. I saw that last time I was up in the Delta. I did tell these guys, politely, that if the ranger pulls up and sees the undersized fish he will give them a ticket and take their gear. I was hoping this comment would make them think about it and throw it back, but no, they kept it and just gave me a deer in the headlights look ???. That's all I did, it didn't work the way I hoped it would and I thought about calling the DFG but for some reason I didn't.

I will try to make it out to Burlingame next weekend. I told Panfish we should try catching some smelt, bullhead, mudsucker or perch and use live bait to catch stripers. I think our chances would greatly improve. Next time out bring your light gear, I will, and catch some live bait.

Call me or pm me if you go out next weekend.

w2f

BASNFAN
10-15-2005, 08:39 PM
:)Hay Master Baiter,
Wow, you live right there in Pacifica!! If I mention your name, will I get a good spot on the beach? ;D I noticed in the tide tables, high tides on Thursday start somewhere around noon and, of course, get just a little later each day. From my experience at Moro Bay, I found I only caught fish awhile before high tide and for about an hour after, so that is what I will be trying.
We are staying at the San Francisco RV Park. If you'r not doing anything, stop and say hi. I will poor you a cool one. I have a 93 Dodge deisel, dark red. The plate on it is the same as my handle - BASNFAN!

MB_Kevin
10-16-2005, 10:25 PM
went to half moon bay today and tried for perch and striper's for a while. I got one good bite but did not end up with any fish. Still fun.
http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/04/00A/39/DF/5B/80/AhkoIx8tXqrAuiZIBioUUM6b2t5X2M5X0300.jpg
My daughter made a turtle and we found a bracelet with the metal detector.
http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/02/00A/68/6D/EC/CA/G4UeCErakVUG-4wFoyUdM3631Lx0uZZN0300.jpg

wading2fish
10-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Wow, that's a nice turtle.
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3057/happy1498py.gif