PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Crab Pots

YneGrwr
10-11-2005, 11:01 AM
I just bought some 32" commercial crab pots that I plan to use out of Bodega Bay. Can anyone recommend a good rope size, type and length to use in that area.

Whats a good depth for the area between Salmon Creek and the Russian River?

Thamks, Frank

Longfinner
10-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Go to www.coastsidefishingclub.com In the tutorial section and read the tutorial on crabbing by John Cuz. There is alot of information in the tutorial from rigging to cooking crab. As far as depths, I use 250' of lead core 5/16" line but I fish deep. If you use this type of line you do not use weights to prevent line float. The weight is in the line. All this information is in the tutorial. Check it out.

Jeff...

YneGrwr
10-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Great site Longfinner!
Thanks,
Frank

just_kidding
10-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Just a little thought from what I have found out there. unless you do not have an automatic puller on your boat I would stay away from having to use too much rope. True you can never have too much rope but in some cases you may be pushing it. i fish between 60 and 80' of water out the gate. I use 150' of rope and arm it in. It sucks but hey... no room for auto's on a 16' klamath. your 21 WA should have some room though. good luck out there. I think Arnie signed the pot limit on those commercial guys @ 250 pots. that should help us all.

yellow_yacht
10-13-2005, 12:54 PM
I think I read in the latest Fish Sniffer that the legislature passed the crab pot limit bill but Arnie vetoed it.

just_kidding
10-14-2005, 06:18 AM
That would be no good. I'll have to google it......... Crap your right. And I was looking forward to crab all season. Oh well. Good luck out there.