PDA

View Full Version : Brine shelf life?

vito
10-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey sniffers. I smoked up about 40 lbs worth of salmon 2 months ago. I saved the brine in tupperware containers, but I didn't have enough room in the freezer for it. I put it in the fridge and am planning on smoking fish this weekend. Do you think the brine is still good?? It is somewhat expensive to make so I would like to re-use it if I can. Thanks for any help you can offer.

drstressor
10-11-2005, 12:42 PM
How much salt vs. sugar did you use?

vito
10-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Well, that is a tough one. I made the Little Chief Smoker recipe X 4. I don't recall the mixture exactly. Made about 2.5 gallons of brine. I seem to recall the mixture containing nearly the same amounts of each. Are you thinking that I may have some brine alchohol brewing?
P.S. I meant to post this on the General Saltwater thread. Sorry.

drstressor
10-11-2005, 03:02 PM
If this is the same bring that was in contact with fish, definitely throw it out. You could get food poisoning. I've stored "virgin" brine mixes in the fridge for up to a month without a problem. The ones with 4 times more salt than sugar are very stable.

FreshwaterFrank
10-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Definitely chuck it if it's been used before. I met a whole camp of sick fishermen in AK who had been re-using brine & it gave them something like dysentery...very unpleasant. I'll admit that I have occasionally put back to back loads through the same brine, refrigerated, within say a 24 hr. period...but I'd never re-use stuff that had been sitting around, even in the fridge.

Mr_Ed
10-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Roger that!!! 48 hours of use is all I give my mixs. One time I had to leave trout in the mix for 3 days & 2 nights in the ice box. It looked a little cloudy but I did not get sick. However I use 2 salt to 1 sugar. (soy)

vito
10-12-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks! I have brined fish and then frozen the brine and reused about 2 weeks later before, but I have never stored it refridgerated. Down the disposal it goes. I really appreciate the help. Really :P :P