PDA

View Full Version : Accepting Salmon Collar Donations (Sake Kama Recipe)

dsa2780
10-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Sake Kama! Japanese for salmon collar if I'm not mistaken.

So you got a salmon right? Fillet that guy up as normal, smoke, grill or freeze that to your hearts content but save your collars! Gill the fish, then using kitchen shears, cut the collar out and rinse well. Take the carcass and using a heavy knife, break the skeleton into 3 sections. These are called racks. Grill the racks of a 20lb salmon and you'll be getting an extra 1-2 pounds of meat fit for salads or fishcakes. Anyways, back to that collar.

Make a dipping sauce of soy sauce, real maple syrup and some pepper. Like sweet? Bump the maple up. Like hot? Mix in a load of sriracha. :shocked:

Marinate the collar in a 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 or more of maple syrup, 4 tablespoons or so of quality white alcohol like Sake. Marinate for an hour at least. Take it out when ready to grill but save the marinade. Bump your oiled grill up to high and throw it on. Sear both sides, then drop the heat back down to medium and cook for like 8-12 minutes depending on how big your salmon was. My 22lber's collar took like 12 minutes. Glaze it towards the end with the marinade you saved. Bump the heat back up to blacken the fins. Should look something like this.

Serve with rice or miso if you wish. I served mine with some bulgar wheat and stir fried vegetables because I hate rice. Add that dipping sauce and prepare yourself for one of the greatest meals you can prepare from a salmon.

It's pretty common to do this, but if you see guys at the launch ramp or on the bank cleaning a salmon and they're just bagging up fillets, either inform them on how to utilize this awesome fish or ask them for the carcass lol. Either that or I'll take them.

salmonid
10-20-2013, 04:29 AM
Nice to use it all!

ngt
10-20-2013, 09:53 AM
That looks great!

I keep the head and body and boil it. Pull the body and head out and flake all of the meat out on the side and strain the stock. Then add carrots, rice, dumplings, potatoes, and celery to the mix. Let it cool a bit and thicken up. Toss the meat back in and you have a thick, clam chowder type soup that's salmon flavored. Awesome way to "use it all" and a good size salmon can flavor a lot of this soup.

Waste not, want not. :)

monkey916
10-20-2013, 06:04 PM
dsa2780: are you a freaking chef or what...good job making everyone hungry on the sniffer lol...your pics and recipies are awesome...

dsa2780
10-20-2013, 07:47 PM
dsa2780: are you a freaking chef or what...good job making everyone hungry on the sniffer lol...your pics and recipies are awesome...

lol, implying I'd be getting paid to make food? I wish man.

I just like cooking.

WhopperStopper
10-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Mmmm salivating lol. Imo the collars and bellies are my favorite parts of the salmon. Those parts also smoke up awesomely. Very fatty and succulent.

CAL.NDN
10-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Delicious lookin indeed. Grilled colars and belly meat also my favorites.

CAL.NDN
10-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Throw out some head soup recipes men. I go.thru a lot of heads and still haven't tried it. I know I'm.missing out probaly. And the wife would probaly not eat it actually.I know she wouldn't. Lol but I'm sure I would love it.