PDA

View Full Version : SF fleet week no boating zone

bluestar
10-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Is there a diagram/map for the no boating zone during SF's fleet week?

Yesterday we left Gas House cove and right off the bat an official on jetski came over and started shouting something like "return to shore". There was a patch of bouys on water but not very clear what is what. We stayed close to the bank and got out; but all along the way out many coast guard boats moved real close to us and at times they were blowing horns but we didn't know what they wanted. A real confusion, and there weren't even that many boats out on water.

I'm wondering if there is any map of any no boating zone for the fleet week...

SEEKER
10-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I will be out there tomorrow drifting for butts and live bait stripersenjoying the show as well.It will be a mess in the Bay,outside the gate is going to be nasty. Hope it calms enough to get out of the area. Not sure of the mapping,I will see if I can find something for you. That area is well marked and like you said if you get off course, well they`ll blow you out of the water. LOL Im sure that they will set you in the RIGHT DIRECTION. :) TIGHT LINES, Rich

bluestar
10-07-2005, 02:41 PM
If not a map, what's the rule out there about the markers? Are we to not cross between any of those white spherical bouys? This is my first time going out during fleet week.

SEEKER
10-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Home
News and Info
Press Releases
Photos
Feature Stories
Biographies
Search
District 11 Units

Cutters
Shore Commands
Links

Boating Safety
Coast Guard Auxiliary
Coast Guard Eleventh District
Coast Guard Eleventh District - Los Angeles Detachment
Coast Guard Eleventh District - San Diego Detachment
Coast Guard Headquarters
Coast Guard Humboldt Bay Public Affairs
Coast Guard Pacific Area Public Affairs
Coast Guard Recruiting
Coast Guard Reserve
Department of Homeland Security
Marine Safety Office - San Francisco
Maritime Transportation Security Act
NOAA Weather
Questions/Comments

Frequently Asked Questions
Survey
Privacy Statement
Site Map
Log On

District 11 Public Affairs

U.S. Coast Guard

Press Release Date: Sept. 30, 2005

Lt. John Fu
(415) 399-7326

District 11 Public Affairs
(510) 437-3325

COAST GUARD ESTABLISHES SAFETY ZONE FOR SAN FRANCISCO FLEET WEEK 2005 ACTIVITIES

SAN FRANCISCO -- Coast Guard Sector San Francisco has established a safety zone for San Francisco Fleet Week activities to be held from Thursday, October 6 to Sunday, October 9. The events will consist of a parade of ships, air shows, a community disaster preparedness fair and ship tours. The parade of ships will have the vessels in a classic naval review from the Golden Gate Bridge to Marina Green.

The purpose of the safety zones is to ensure the security of the spectators and participants, including recreational and commercial boaters, and inform them of the restrictions placed on the San Francisco boating traffic during the event.

The established safety zone for air shows and parade of ships is a rectangular “box” bounded by the following coordinates (all positions given as DD-MM.SSS not DD-MM-SS):

37-49. 113N, 122-26.868W 37-49.395N, 122-24.248W
37-48.612N, 122-26.786W 37-48.897N, 122-24.167W

Persons and vessels are prohibited from entering into, transiting through or anchoring within the safety zones.

The safety zones will be enforced at the following times:

Thursday, Oct. 6 -10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 7- Sunday, Oct. 9 -11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

In addition, no through traffic will be allowed along the southern edge of the restricted area during the following periods:

Thursday, Oct. 6 - 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 7 - 11:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 8 - Sunday, Oct. 9 -12:45 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.

For any questions related to the safety zone, please contact the patrol commander on VHF-FM Channel 13 or call the Coast Guard Command Center at (415) 399-3451.

For more information about San Francisco Fleet Week 2005, please visit www.fleetweek.us .

###

There ya go :)

bluestar
10-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Thank you for the info.

One unrelated question: Is there any prohibition on taking a boat into the marina where the sea lions are gathering just to look at the animals? I don't have a slip in that marina.