PDA

View Full Version : South Bay bank fishing areas and tips

Collegebound
10-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Does anyone have some good spots near palo Alto that are decent for striper/shark/anything that will bite? Also, what are good tides for stripers and what kind of lures should i be tossing out there. what is a good rig for leopard sharks? I have a shimano sonora 4000 freshly spooled with 15 lb yozuri(courtesy of the coastside fishing club dinner) and a 8'6" medium heavy spinning rod. Would that work out for casting lures and/or baitfishing.? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Mike

snapoffmode
10-03-2005, 11:08 AM
hey dude,

you might want to try around the redwood city area...also coyote point. my friend's father that was pulling in stripers in the morning..he was plugging but i'm not sure what he was using....i'm not sure about the timing as i can't remember. also, if you exit seaport blvd and head towards the water, you'll hit the pixar building...at the back of the building there is a stone bench along all the sloughs...on the stone bench is carved a "fish calender"...it's pretty cool. tells you what time of year the fish are in....and there are definitely signs that the place has been fished. also, the area behind the oracle building are supposed to be pretty good when the timing is right...but i hear security can be a pain in the but. pm me...there's another spot very near you..that you may or may not know of.

later dude...

ta

wading2fish
10-03-2005, 02:18 PM
That spot that snapoff is talking about with the stone bench is a good spot. Lot's of sharks and rays. One time I saw a guy hook a keeper striper but it spit the hook :'(. It is also a very kid friendly area if you have any.

w2f

snapoffmode
10-03-2005, 02:39 PM
hey w2f,

was it recently (within a year or two) that you saw the striper lost at the stone bench? just curious.

you're right...that spot is super kid friendly =)

sellhomes2fish
10-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Try a little bit futher up the bay just north or Coyote Point. There is an empty lot that use to be the drive-in theater and a boat parked in the slough adjacent. Stripers are being caught there along the bay. Try bait or tossing lures. Good luck ;D

fisheone
10-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Are the Dumbarton piers closed? I use to fish the Ravenswood side back in the 80's. You could use two poles and their are pole holders drilled out for you. Sometimes I'd have both poles going with rays or sharks on at the same time. I would take my bike and I had a childs seat on the back to place my stuff in. The bat rays will give you a sore back, especially if your like using a 12 ft surf pole.

I used 30 lb test with sturgeon rigs that I would make and mainly fished for rays and leopard sharks. I believe spring time was best. Lots of huge sturgeon jumping out there. I just didn't have the patience to fish for them because I was hooked on catching big bats and sharks which were plentifull and eager to take your bait. If there are some big rains and big tides fishing can be great for sturgeon because the bottom of the bay gets swept clean so there's not a lot of food. You can also catch lots of grass or bay shrimp. Not sure which but you can see them everywhere at slack tide. I would catch them with a bucket with holes drilled all through it and some squid tied to the bottom along with a brick. Just lower it into the water for awhile then retreive some fresh bait. It will count as a line in the water though.

Always caught big bat rays and leopard sharks. I loved that place. Had it all dialed in. Hated to leave the place. Now I'm hooked on river salmon fishing. I always knew just when to go, mainly incoming tide. I'd get there and nobody would be catching anything and I'd show up and start catching fish. Fished all the way on the end of the pier. Before that it's hardly worth fishing because it's real shallow. At low tide it's all mud up till the end of the pier which dead ends almost where the channel begins. They screwed up where they ended the pied doesn't go out far enough.

Dead out from the pier are some snags. Probably part of the old bridge when it was demolished. Incoming tide was the best. Cast as far as you can but not dead straight out because you'll snag up. If I remember correctly I wanna say I was using 8 - 12 ounce weights, mabe 16. The local tackle shops also sell these weights that have 3-4 heavy guaged copper wires potruding from the bottom of the weight. You bend them kinda like hooks. The tidal currents are really strong. The wire hooks grab in the mud and bend when you retrieve it in.

I only used big fresh squid, never frozen. Makes a big difference. Try to find the really big ones and use the heads. I use to buy them in the Asian markets. But, just as effective are the bodies, but you gotta slice up the bottoms like a skirt so that it looks like a gitzit.

To bring your catch up you'll need a crab net or better yet the local bait shops have a weighted three prong hook thing that you tie on an lower it and snag your fish. I usually tried to hook them in the gill or mouth if I thought I was gonna let them go. Leopard shark tastes great. Did a taste test with some friends - leopard shark and sturgeon. The leopard shark was preferred. If you catch a shark and wanna keep it, make sure you bleed it because their blood has uric acid in it. When you cut them open it kinda smells like ammonia.

Another great place like Dumbarton is the San Mateo bridge pier up the road a bit. Fish it the same way. The difference with the San Mateo is they do catch stripers their pretty regularly. Bullheads, mud suckers (gobies) work real well but a friend of mine use to do great using little shiner perch that he use to catch at a place called the showboat not far from their using red worms. Also, at the San Mateo their is a good chance of catching big seven gill (or some number of gilled sharks). Again, use big hooks, like sturgeon rigs. You can also make wire leaders with two loops with hooks attached to keep your bait off the bottom. There's no pole holders out there and lots of people lose their poles for not keeping an eye on them. Big fish will come along and take off with your pole. Certain times of the year the jack smelt are running and people catch buckets of them. They're pretty big too. I heard they are notorious for having worms though.

If I remember correctly both piers have piers on both sides of the bay. The Dumbarton use to close at night fall but the san mateo was open all night. People slept and fished out there all night, even made fires. It gets really cold and windy and can be pretty miserable especially at night. If your daring enough you can sneak out on the old dumbarton rail road bridge. It's scarry as all heck but that's where the sturgeon are. Just don't fall through the broken rail road ties.

I use to always read about a place called 3rd avenue. I always wanted to check it out. I believe it is somewhere around the coyote point area. Was a hot spot for bat rays. Another place is directly behind the SF airport. The dirt road was pretty tore up so definetly a 4WD would be good. Can't even tell you how to get there but if you drive in like your going to the airport the road was kinda on the back left side. You just gotta poke around to find it but you'll see a dirt road going back there if it's still allowed to fish there.

If you got a good boat fishing for sturgeon around the dumbarton rail road bridge can be pretty hot at the right times of year. You can launch out of redwood city.

wading2fish
10-03-2005, 07:17 PM
hey w2f,

was it recently (within a year or two) that you saw the striper lost at the stone bench? *just curious.

you're right...that spot is super kid friendly =)

Witnessed that striper this past Sat 10/01/05 it bit a squid on a hi lo rig.

Hey fisheone, those places you mentioned, Ravenswood and San Mateo piers were good fishing places, back in the day. However, today, sadly both piers are closed to fishing :'(. They're closed period, fenced off with barbed wire fencing. The Dumbarton pier on the east end of the bridge is still open for fishing but it does closes at night. The road leading up to it is also closed from April thru August, effectively closing the pier also >:( An endangered bird uses that area for nesting during those months. 3rd Ave is a good spot for sharks and rays.

w2f

Collegebound
10-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm heading to georgia this weekend but as soon as i get a chance ill head down to one of these areas on my bike. I dont know how id get a whopper home tho. Ill focus on catching one first.
Mike

Collegebound
10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
That spot that snapoff is talking about with the stone bench is a good spot. Lot's of sharks and rays. One time I saw a guy hook a keeper striper but it spit the hook :'(. It is also a very kid friendly area if you have any.

w2f

Good thing its kid friendly cuz im 17 ;D
Mike

afkvrts
10-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Good info from everyone. *Thanks.
I've lived in Fremont for 30 years. My parents took us to see the old bridge get blown up :)

The Dumbarton bridge was a great place to fish either west or east side. *Now only the east side is allowed, and that too only sometimes. Latelly (past 2-3 years) it seems that only small leapords and skates are caught and I hear about 3-5 legal sturgies a year.
As said earllier in the thread, you can catch your bait easilly, (ghost shrimp it think) *I've also fished by the old railroad bridge by boat, and have hooked one legal sturgen there. *

Now I want to take my kayak and fish the smaller sloughs. The sloughs of the east side of the bay, in particular. *I'd like to catch stripers or halibut? *

I need some advice. *
Why would the fish NOT be there, I think they should be, and since there is less boat traffic and pressure on this area, I believe it should be great. *But where and how???

Pleas advise.

Thanks,
-Afroz

BTW: I've started a thread on this toppic on the striper board. *You can read it at:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=striper_salt;action=display;num=1128 622814