PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz for rockfish & halibut, any help?

FishnRN
09-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Gonna head out Saturday morning and hopefully be on the water by 0600. I'm fairly new to fishing saltwater on my own, not too familiar with the electronics, no radio, etc. I've heard you can go out not too far and be on some rocks, and that the sandy flats are all around.
Heres my question, are there any landmarks that anybody could point me to that might help me be in the right spots a little better. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
-Ben, FishnRN

ken_fishnfool
09-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Run out past the kelp off the point on the right of the wharf as you are going out. There is lots of structure (rocks) that hold fish from the kelp out the first half mile or so, and on up further norh, for a mile past the point. Anchovy pieces or squid strips will get you plenty of little ones with a chance of some decent rockcod and a ling or two. ;D

FishnRN
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey Ken, thanks for the info. *I was just reading on "baysidemarinesc.com" that they caught some halibut at the "mile bouy". *If visibility is good on Saturday, isn't that bouy just straight out of the harbor? *I should be able to find my way there and back, I think? *Thanks again, I'll try there and post when I get back.
-Ben, (FishnRN)

GCinGV
09-29-2005, 06:01 AM
I think there are two Mile buoys, one off the Santa Cruz pier and one off Capitola.
If itís a bit too sloppy in the light house area you can fish the Capitola area east of the harbor. Itís a lot more protected and thereís some good Halibut fishing on the flat between the Capitola pier and the old cement ship thatís on the beach to the east. You can also fish the kelp beds for Rockies. It can be a bit tricky though if it gets really windy because youíll be going against the wind back to the harbor from Capitola.
Good luck GC

ken_fishnfool
09-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Bayside is talking about the mile bouy straight out from the end of the wharf. You can hear it hoooooonk as you get close to it. For halibut set up about 80 yards to the south (Monterrey side) of it and drift. The bottom there is alternating between rocky ledges and sandy areas. We normally pick up some rockcod in the ledges and croakers and halibut in the sand in between the ledges. Halibut have been real slow this year and thats why I recommended of of lighthouse point for rockcod/lings.
Post up how you do and good luck.

FishnRN
09-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Hey thanks again. I'll post a report just as soon as I get back and finish freezer packing the fillets. haha
Thanks again,
-Ben, FishnRN

blue_chrush
09-29-2005, 07:56 PM
just so you know its the swell is suppose to come up
and its going to be 5/8ft on sat sun....
heres the site....n/w swell....
swells arn't bad its the wind with it that makes it ugly...

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/recent/model_images/fm_mon_xxx.png

fearnofish
10-01-2005, 07:41 PM
no radio, no electronics? no problem getting out and back with no fog! heard of a couple guys tht went out awhile back and before they knew it, they were caught in the fog and disorientated. They ended up very near moss landing and if not for a commercial boat pointing them to santa cruz they would have been who knows where!
Be safe and alert out there! If the fog starts to roll in, get back to the harbor!!

blue_chrush
10-01-2005, 09:43 PM
the swell is smaller than expected so you know...
but the fog is super thick.....
be careful, if you have a gps
note your starting point too so you can
get back to the wharf.....
rock cod was slow up the coast on sat
and so rock in town off lighthouse had
go limits of cod....

FishnRN
10-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks again for all the help! After reading BC's (Steve) report on the swells and weather my brother and I decided we'd try another day. Thanks again for the help gentlemen.
-Bennie, FishnRN

blue_chrush
10-03-2005, 05:10 PM
good call, cause the rock coding kinda sucked this
weekend, bad winds on sat and who knows why on sun.
but limits were down and only got small fish....
nothing of size and the wind blew later in the day too...
so you didn't miss much....maybe next weekend... :)