PDA

View Full Version : No action around Alameda Rockwall

bluestar
09-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Had the morning free so I thought I give it a try at the wall.

Drifted live shiners from the western tip of Alameda all the way to boat launch; NOTHING! Not even a bite.

Is the rockwall supposed to be this dead at this time? This is my first time fishing at the wall this year; I know it's late in the season but usually I'd at least get some sharks if not halibut. What the heck??!! ???

blue_chrush
09-21-2005, 08:47 PM
because of the changes in depth and tides there,
that can usally get fish with the bait getting
tossed around and such. and the last couple of
years the WSB have been caught there too.....
while its one place I go to in the bay to fill
fish, it can be fickled....you'll get'm next time :D

ken_fishnfool
09-22-2005, 09:44 AM
There's fish around this time of year. Next time if you don't get bit along that side...try drifting outside the wall to the main navy channel, or drift the flats next to the ferry channel towards the airport. Also the western side edge of the flats just to the south of the wall.
We've also gotten stripers and leopard sharks towards the beach side, even with the opening to Balena Bay marina.
How clear was the water?

wading2fish
09-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Anybody have any reports on the rockwall from the shore? I am boatless and thinking of fishing the rockwall pretty soon.

w2f

bluestar
09-22-2005, 06:13 PM
There were 3 fishing parties at the shore the whole time I was at the rockwall. *Did not see anyone catch anything.

But a bit of good shore action to report though. *Today 9 a.m. I caught a 22" striper in the estuary side of Alameda drifting live shiners near Fruitvale Bridge.

bluestar
09-22-2005, 06:23 PM
There's fish around this time of year. Next time if you don't get bit along that side...try drifting outside the wall to the main navy channel, or drift the flats next to the ferry channel towards the airport. Also the western side edge of the flats just to the south of the wall.
We've also gotten stripers and leopard sharks towards the beach side, even with the opening to Balena Bay marina.
How clear was the water?

Water clarity was OK, regular bay condition; no brown-looking water that we see sometimes. Water surface was very calm, like a mirror, but wind kicked up by 2 pm.

The channel is like 40' deep. Do halibuts hangout there? I thought 10-15' of water is ideal?

sokoo
09-23-2005, 08:52 AM
I have never been to Alameda Rock Wall. Is there a good boat launch close to it?

ken_fishnfool
09-23-2005, 10:08 AM
We've caught butts down to 25 feet there.

There is a boatramp right at the rockwall but it's high tide only, it's very shallow.

MoMoney
09-24-2005, 05:25 AM
There is a launch or 2 in alameda or sl marina.