PDA

View Full Version : Change of plan ..

hqly2001
09-22-2005, 09:31 PM
A buddy of mine just called and said that he would take his new 17ft boat out to the bay. So I probably won't go on the party boat but instead chip in for gas and bait.

The problem is he doesn't have a fish finder nor gps. We plan on fishing near the richmond bridge as lotsa stripers are being caught there. Two questions:

1. If we launch in richmond then we probably can't get any live anchovies unless we ride out to san francisco right?
Are live chovies the best bait to use? I guess if we decide to launch from richmond we can grab some pile worms and frozen chovies. Any suggestions? The ride from berkeley to that side is quite far if I recall correctly.

2. Without a fishfinder, what would be the best way for us to find the fishes? I'm thinking that we troll rapalas or hairraisers around the popular places, Cal city.. raccon straight.. and if we get hits then we drop the live bait in.. if anyone else has a better idea or advice please help.

I'm really excited about the trip after hearing how well boats have been doing right now. 8)

triggerfish
09-23-2005, 05:33 AM
berkley is not too far from richmond. I would deffenetly get a 1/2 scoop of bait. you can drift berkley flats,you dont need a fish finder there.You can also fish where the partyboats go."but dont croud them."

judyann
09-23-2005, 07:45 AM
Racoon Straights is a wind tunnel, Paradise might also be a good stop for you. Salsalito is a shorter shot for you if you don't get live bait.

hqly2001
09-23-2005, 01:12 PM
where is the berkeley flats specificly?

is it the whole area from the peir towards angel island?
i fished there once and there were a ton of weed... kept getting caught up on the kelps.. any advice?

SEEKER
09-23-2005, 03:41 PM
A TON OF WEED? You may want to post in HIGH TIMES. J/K sent you a PM. If this is your first time out there BE CAREFUL.( ANY TIME FOR THAT MATTER). Let us know how you do. TIGHT LINES, Rich

triggerfish
09-23-2005, 07:30 PM
I read somewhere,that berkley has recieved the last batch of live bait 4 the year. so it will be comming to an end soon :(

CORN
09-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Another option : launch out of Richmond and head north, under the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, then go west behind the Marin Islands. Follow the buoys on the left side of the Marin Islands to get to the Loch Lomond launch area. You can buy live shiners there and fish the Brother's, Sister's or Red Rock.