PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie with crabbing HMB from a private boat

MrAnchovy
10-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I want to try and get in on the local crabbin', so I bought a couple standard square Danielson pots. I also bought a spool of leaded line, some floats and a couple bait cages. I plan to fish Half Moon Bay and possibly out the Gate by Duxbury. I've been doing my research and I'm mostly prepared. I'm going to add a couple 5lb weights to each pot to keep 'em planted. My question is how much line should I plan on using? I have fished HMB recently and most of the waters we fished (rockfish & Lings) were about 100 feet deep. Are the crabby areas around HMB about that deep or should I drop pots in shallower water? My plan was to attach a 100' section to each pot and then splicing a loop to the end so I can add another 100' section with a loop to loop if necessary. Also, I'm wondering how much rode I need - is 2:1 enough for HMB and beyond the Gate? Please chime in if you have anything to add or suggest. Need more info, please help a newbie.

MrAnchovy

JB14
10-27-2013, 06:02 PM
You can fish 75-80% of the rope you have. 100' of rope will fish 75-80' of water. You can fish deeper than that but lots will walk and buoys may not be there when you come back.

kris k
10-28-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I picked up some traps this year and am planning to drop em down on the opener. I plan to put a 20-25% scope on the line and target sandy bottom, but I'm trying to figure out how deep to start. I've gotten conflicting suggestions. Bay tackles staff recommends 70-90 feet while past years fishing reports cite most success coming around 170 ft.

JB14
10-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Get to HMB early and watch out for buoys on the way out. There's a bunch of guys that set @ midnight and more dumbasses that set @ the jaws. The last thin you want is leaded rope in your prop. The Coastside guys have a big event in the parking lot too. BBQ, band, etc. From what I've been told its a zoo. Good luck though! I'll be headed towards Muir and Stinson.

kris k
10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Looks like I'll be headed your way JB. Won't be able to get as early a start as I thought and kinda wanna try for a last minute shot at salmon. If you don't mind my asking what depths do you generally drop in the Marin coast area? I plan to get the pots soaking and try my luck trolling towards duxbury.