PDA

View Full Version : Golden gate report *9/15

CaptBrandon
09-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Launched out of berkley at 8:30 (late start I know) headed for angel island nothin, so headed out the gate stoped on the coast drifted for two leppard's to 39" then over to seal rocks and way too rough 13' breakers way to close for comfort, headed towards marin coast that's when it all broke lose as ryan's rod takes a violent dip towards the ocean floor instantly taking 20 yards of line with it. "Fish on" he yells as he continues to lose more line "Ya right i say ,you got a sealion" so i fired up the boat and chased the fish for good twenty minutes "must be a shark i said" then ryan gets the fish to turn after a battle the shinny monster emerged.."it's a salmon" ryan proclaimed.."no.. thats a giant white seabass!!!" as i netted the fish with my sturgeon net..This was the bigest sea bass i'd ever seen going 43" and fat. A once in liftime just happened to be at right place at the right time fish......or was it? As we motored back to the same drift I droped my live anchovey to the bottom and as i was letting more line out i felt a chomping, i reeled down and set the hook and BAM!!! This fish took a forever run just like the first we chased it with the boat for about a half an hour "it feels like a pissed off sturgeon" i said. Finaly i got the fish to the top and ryan netted it. This ones bigger the the first a taking both of us to pull over the side,a little longer but major girth this one going 44"...."wow two giant sea bass in two drifts what are the odds, thats just luck".....or was it?? As we motored up to make another drift we noticed a shelf and holding off the the shelf were big fish and we know where they live now, so we set up for another drift and just as we passed over this shelf.... I wouldn't describe it as hit or it got slammed more like when a freight train slams into a passenger vehicle. My rod doubled over and started screaming as this fish took it's first hundred yard run by this time we were pros using the boat to wear out the fish..We netted the fish this one being the smallest only 28lbs..Ended the day after a long bumpy ride across the bay losing a nice halibut at the net on the berkley flats.. I really wanted some halibuts , this however to turn out just fine final weight 28,32 and 37lbs all caught on lamiglass salmon rods with 15lb p line.. fun day..pics to come if someone could tell me how to post..

phishinpat
09-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a great day to me. Can't wait to see the pics. I've yet to catch a white sea bass, accidently or targeted.

Rusty_Hooks
09-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Sounds like you found them all right... :o

Can't wait to see the pics.

;)

Mickey_Thomas
09-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Great fishing story, sure want to see the pic's hope you "way pointed" the GPS coordinates ;) and would you give them to me? ;D ;D

Farrier_Frank
09-16-2005, 06:44 PM
You told that story pretty good, made me feel like I was there. Sure hope you figure out how to post the pictures.

CaptBrandon
09-16-2005, 06:51 PM
I can't figure out how to post pics so you can view them at www.championshipsportfishing.com one is 3rd picture and rest on bottom page. enjoy

Dennis
09-16-2005, 07:13 PM
http://www.championshipsportfishing.com/sitebuilder/images/fishpic20008-428x420.png
Hope this is the right pic.

CaptBrandon
09-16-2005, 07:31 PM
[img][/http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6308/fishpic200027gs.png][http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6308/fishpic200027gs.png

CaptBrandon
09-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Yea how did you do that do you mind posting the one of me in orange bibs and one of ryan that is 3rd photo on page still in water. thanks

Rusty_Hooks
09-16-2005, 08:02 PM
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3541/fishpic200027gs8jg.png

Here you go

Hooky_Time
09-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Nice white seabass!!! I used to catch those off Catalina Island with my grandfather when I was a teenager but then they disappeared down there for several years. DFG or someone is raising them now in pens in several marinas down there they're showing up regularly in the fish counts. Maybe they're also making their way up the coast? The biggest one I ever saw was a 48#er caught on a boat I was on around San Clemente Island about 10 years ago.

There was a similar looking fish down in San Felipe/Gulf of California that was called a Tortuava. It went over 150 pounds regularly but was fished into extinction. My grandpa showed me pictures of them from back in the 40's and 50's that were real impessive. They used to use 3# corvinas as bait to catch these. I'll post some of the pices if I can get my hands on them.

Mickey_Thomas
09-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Dang, those are some big Bass 8) Good job, are you going back for more? ;)

fishkiller
09-17-2005, 06:02 AM
8)last year after salmon season the sea bass were thick outside the gate. We were fly lining anchovys with spining gear in the first 2 coves right out the gate and a mile or 2 up :o 8)

SEEKER
09-17-2005, 06:07 AM
FANTASTIC CATCH. :o Great job and thanks for teh report. Keep up the good work and again CONGRATS! TIGHT LINES, Rich

Rusty_Hooks
09-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Reports out of HMB also showing seabass ;D ;D

they grow to 5' and 100 pounds......hefty buggers....

screaming reels ;D ;D :o

Farrier_Frank
09-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures guys (there's always help on the boards when it comes to pictures). Looks like I just won a $5 bet with Pink Boat who didn't believe there were sea bass that size. ;D

MB_Kevin
09-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Those are cool. are they as good to eat as striper. I want to catch one. I guess they dont come close to the surf. :-/

Rusty_Hooks
09-18-2005, 08:02 PM
They have more oil than stripers but boy do they grill nicely!!

Chunk at least 1 1/2 inches thick, med flame then lower.

Only takes a few min...yum, yum...dill,butter,lemon

Rusty_Hooks
09-19-2005, 07:22 PM
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7356/seabass4rv.png

Here's another from my mailbox...a real beaut!! ;)

ITUKAWAL
09-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures guys (there's always help on the boards when it comes to pictures). Looks like I just won a $5 bet with Pink Boat who didn't believe there were sea bass that size. ;D
PB must have been thinkin 'bout those puny spotted bass from Greenwood lake. Hey FF, I know and have seen 75# + out of Santa Cruz Bay. Enjoy your $ 5.00 and buy me a wine ;D ;D

Farrier_Frank
09-21-2005, 07:10 AM
I'll gladly buy you ANOTHER wine, IT, if you would kindly print out one of the pictures of the sea bass and show it to PB. He still doesn’t believe they're catching these monsters out of SF. ::)

ITUKAWAL
09-21-2005, 08:28 AM
I'll gladly buy you ANOTHER wine, IT, if you would kindly print out one of the pictures of the sea bass and show it to PB. He still doesn’t believe they're catching these monsters out of SF. ::)

DONE, DONE, DONE ......DONE