PDA

View Full Version : fish cleaning

dempsey
09-16-2005, 03:35 PM
What is the proper way to clean flounder.

put_em_back
09-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Depending on how big it is and what you are going to do to it.

You can chop the head off, gut it, and pan fry the whole thing or cut it into pieces that you can fry.

You can fillet it if its big enough. I like try to get as much of the meat off of the fish as possible so I will make 1 lengthwise cut on both sides of the fish down to the spine. Make cuts around the head - follow the gill plate. Imagine what you want to take off of the fish and make that cut. Then I'll take a fillet knife and run it along the spine and ribs as I slowly peel the meat off of the bones. You do this 4 times for the fish - you get 2 pieces per side.

If you want to skin the fillets, put the fillet skin side down on the cutting board. Start at the tail end of the fillet and run the knife at about a30 degree angle and slice as you push the knife towards the other end of the fillet. The sharper your knife is, the easier it will be to skin the fillet. Try not to cut through the skin, but if you do, stop and try to recover and make another cut.

You can also try to fillet 1 side of the fish at a time, but you may waste a small amount of meat. This is easier than the other way becausee you have a big handle, the head, to hold on to. Make the cut around the gill plate on both sides. Run the knife from the cut (head end) towards the tail trying to keep the knife against the spine. The close you are to the spine, the more meat you will get off the fish. Keep going till you get about 1/2 in ch from where the meat meets the tail and stop. Take the meat, now a large flap, and fold it over so that it is skin side down against the cutting board. Fillet the meat off the skin as described above. Flip over and repeat.

norcoaster
09-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Try this link. http://www.tillamookbayboathouse.com/halibut.htm