PDA

View Full Version : Is there shiners in the middle of the bay?

bluestar
09-14-2005, 07:50 AM
I always catch shiners with a trap around docks then transport them out to the bay for live bait fishing. It takes a little effort to change water along the way (I'm too cheap to buy aerator and batteries >:().

I'm wondering if there are shiners to be caught in the middle of the bay, say along the 20 feet line. I know I can just try it the next time, but thought maybe someone else has tried that already....

Fishbutt21
09-14-2005, 08:53 AM
I have caught shiners in open ocean water around kelp paddys but never had any luck in open water without some kind of structure.I would think they need some cover if an area is going to hold fish

put_em_back
09-15-2005, 12:28 AM
I went on a research boat out of Redwood City harbor many years ago and they drug a net behind the boat to show us the kind of fish and other bay life out there. We did net some shiners, but not a lot. I would figure that it would be hard to catch them out there. Stay with the boat docks.

What kind of trap do you use? We usually just use market shrimp and catfood to chum. Takes awhile sometimes. Does the trap take long to catch them?

blue_chrush
09-15-2005, 07:36 PM
shinners are small frys, and swimming in big water
without structure around is is like us runnig on
the freeways,,, your not going to last long... :D
they need shallow water or structure to stay alive..
around the deep water at san mateo bridge you can find
them, but there cover for them to hide and eat from too...
and if they do venture out they go in schools and soon
become bait balls for others to feed on....

sellhomes2fish
09-17-2005, 07:28 PM
I've caught shiners and other perch down by SFO near the "Bird Cage". Not sure if you can still fish that area after 911.

bluestar
09-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Shiners seem to come out around standing tide; when current picks up I rarely catch them.

Pick a standing tide, grab some mussels from the bottom of the flotation, crack them open then place in trap. Submerge trap for 5 minutes and you will have a cageful of 15-20 shiners, ranging from 2" to 5".

It sounds pretty iffy to catch them in the middle of the bay. I'll still give it a try next time I go out there.