PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Coast Surf Fishing

bobberdown14
09-12-2005, 05:18 AM
I am going to the Oregon Coast (Bandon) in October and going to try some surf fishing. Anyone have any tips, best kinds of bait, locations, times to fish, kind of tackle to use? Any info would help! Thanks.

basil
09-12-2005, 10:11 AM
It's pretty much the same as down here, except they don't get the California Halibut. There are some stripers in Bandon they were in the river the last I heard (that was a month ago). You can catch Perch off the beaches, and if you feel really enterprising you can cruise south about 40 minutes to Frankport.

Frankport is just a big rock these days, and the road down is closed, but you can catch blue or black cod and even launch a two man raft in the calm bay area on the south side of the rock on most days. It's about a 1\4 mile walk down and an interesting spot with a tunnel that waves come through in the rock.

You can also fish for bass and trout at Floras Lake, 7 miles south of town at Cole Park. Trout you can catch from shore, for bass you may need a small boat. To find Floras Lake go south 7 miles and look for the turnoff just past Langlois. If you have kids they can swim there, but it's a good idea to get there early as the wind can rise in the afternoon.

Also don't miss Cape Blanco, it is just an awesome place with a rocky beach, gentle waves, rocks, kelp beds, driftwood and even a good bit of sand. It's possible to find platinum in the cliffs and even gold.

bobberdown14
09-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I will try to hit Frankport when I go.