PDA

View Full Version : Report -- Legal Lepord Shark Fishing... w/ pics

grammar_police
09-07-2005, 03:25 PM
http://usera.imagecave.com/grammar_police/legalleo.jpg
It is not as if I haven't tried nor had the proper gear to do this all year long. After putting in much time at the steps (Red Wood City) I finally caught a legal leopard shark. He measured out at 3'9", smelled like dirt and fought pretty hard. The initial run had me thinking ray, but headshakes on the line told me otherwise. After a quick fight, the leopard made two more short, yet solid runs once he spotted us. MtnViewFisher was standing by to assist with landing and played camera man.

Shark fishing this year has been pretty strange for me. For starters, I can't guess as to size of the fish while on my line. I have had the smallest of sharks put up heavy fights and vise versa. This leopard was no different, after the fight and hook release, this thing did not move! It was so docile. I never even had to turn him over, simply lifted his snout and removed the circle hook. While trying to remove the hook, while photographing, and allowing youngster a close view, this thing did not move! No self-slapping of the tail to forehead maneuver whatsoever. I was surprised. Even the smallest of sharks, once out of the water, tries everything in its power to scurry back to the watery home. Such was not the case, as if he was used to a snack, a hello from the locals, a quick photo and then back to hunting for food.

http://usera.imagecave.com/grammar_police/legalleo2.jpg

Counts: 4 Leopards for me - 3 Leopards and a 10" batray for MtnViewFisher - 1 shark for Omar (MiniMtnViewFisher)
Gear: 7' GDude Special (Rainshadow) - Diawa Saltist 30T (20#)
Setup: Slider rig with 5oz - 60# mono leader - 5/0 MutuLight Circle hook
Bait: Twice frozen squid chunks
Tide/Time: Fished from 6-9pm Top of the tide to out going

ZACK
09-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Nice pic's!
Thank you for sharing. I catch a lot of those things while drifting bait. I use a 7ft glass bass rod with a quantium sp. 1310 loaded with 10 lb. braided line.

Keep the pictures coming. ZACK!

wading2fish
09-07-2005, 03:55 PM
45" leopard, NICE! Where is "the steps" in Redwood City at? If you want you can PM me with the info.

w2f

Redwine
09-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Grammar P,

Anyone ever told you that you look like Clint Eastwood??

wading2fish
09-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Yeah, he kinda looks like Clint, he reminded me of Howie Long though.

w2f

phishinpat
09-07-2005, 11:02 PM
yeah, clint's his uncle. Just ask him...lol

just playing man. Good going on the legal leppie.

grammar_police
09-08-2005, 07:17 AM
LMAO... Clint is my Rod Wrapping Grandma!

I have heard I look like too many celebrities, everyones uncle, cousin, and brother! ;D

grammar_police
09-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Foster City Shark’n 9/8/2005

http://usera.imagecave.com/grammar_police/GP_9-8.JPG
http://usera.imagecave.com/grammar_police/BM_9-8.bmp.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/grammar_police/FF_9-8.JPG

Headed out to Foster City to do some sharking and catch the out going tide. We fished from 6pm till about 9:30pm. The weather was warm; the wind was very mild and came from the West. A very nice change from the usual constant wind blast in your face from the North-East. Action was fairly steady between the three rods. Baitfishes were out early on and moved further out with the tide. Even as the tide was bottoming out, we still had plenty of room to beach the sharks. At the base of the exposed rocks was a 4' section of hard sand and mud. This was perfect for dragging the beasts in and provided stable ground to photo and release all the sharks.

Numbers for the night: ~8 legal leopards
GP - 4 leopard sharks (45", 20", 14", 15")
BM - 5 leopard sharks (45", 40", 38", 22", 18")
FF - too many to remember (45", 43", 42", 40", & a small ray) though I am sure he had a few smaller ones!

Only saw one cat, no skunks, and the bike/jogging trail was barren. Not even one kite-boarder!
We did see a plugger early on, who didn't stay very long.

wading2fish
09-09-2005, 02:11 PM
GP,

You ever throw out any lures like hairraisers or Rat L Traps. I've seen some reports of decent stripers caught out there on those lures.

Good job on the sharks, they sure put up a good fight and so do the rays.

w2f

grammar_police
09-14-2005, 07:25 AM
W2f,

Yeah I have plugged the areas we usualy sharay fish. But since we can only have one rod on the water in the bay I usually just shark fish. When I striper fish it is from other productive areas. Though there is always a chance of getting a rouge striper hit on squid while shark fishing. Had a 31" hit, seen a 46", 28", and a couple 24" caught while shark fishing.

Went out again last night and brought in my personal best. This beast taped at 48.5" though I did not weigh him.

http://usera.imagecave.com/grammar_police/joey_48_inch_leopard.jpg

Anyone else out there targeting the sharks from shore?

wading2fish
09-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Nice looking leapord! They sure are handsome creatures. Last Sat I went on a recon only mission to the steps. Now I know why they call it the steps, I seen em. It is literally like three minutes from where I work. I'm gonna start fishing it maybe next Fri 9/24.

w2f

grammar_police
09-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Nice looking leapord! They sure are handsome creatures. Last Sat I went on a recon only mission to the steps. Now I know why they call it the steps, I seen em. It is literally like three minutes from where I work. I'm gonna start fishing it maybe next Fri 9/24.

w2f
That would be the 23rd. But I get what you mean...

Hard to miss the steps! When fishing that area, try to fish straight out. There is some old rebar structure to the left and right of the steps, maybe 10' away and from shore to about 30' into the water. The big ray that resides there is known for making life hell at the rebar pile. she/he is roughly 80lbs. and initiates a square patern run around that structure.

I usually hit that spot of Thurs. nights after work due to my schedule. If you are up for a Thurs. night trip, let me know. I have a few other places you'd like to see.

kromebrite
09-14-2005, 03:18 PM
very nice :D
One of the coolest fish in the bay, I think. Looks like you've got the shore gig down to an art now.

fisherdude4eva
09-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Awesome
I mite try catching one of those
can u eat them?
btw, do u just cast as far as u can straight out or what?

grammar_police
09-15-2005, 12:11 PM
very nice *:D
One of the coolest fish in the bay, I think. Looks like you've got the shore gig down to an art now.

I grew up in socal, and never even thought to target the sharks. Up here it is too hard not too. Almost all bay fishing will yield a shark, especially bait fishing. I've come real fond of the leopard sharks. I have yet to keep one and try it as table fare, but hear they aren't bad. Still hunting the ever ellusive 7gill. Next major run, I should be able to nab one or two.

Fishing for sharks from the sore is simple, no art required. Though I am an experienced boater, I have never targeted the sharks from boat. Tomorrow morning will be my first. Planning to do some RWC shark hunting from a small craft. Will be sure to report and post pictures...

grammar_police
09-15-2005, 12:19 PM
I mite try catching one of those
can u eat them?

Yes you can eat a leopard shark, but it must be 36" or larger to keep per DFG regs. Once a keeper is caught you must bleed it right away. To do this remove the fins or slice the throat and hang. Due to urea problems it is suggested that you bleed and then ice the sharks as soon as possible.

btw, do u just cast as far as u can straight out or what?

In my experimenting, I have found that most times casting distance is not a factor. Then again I mainly fish mud flats and the difference between a bomber cast and a closer cast is about 1' of water depth if at all. I could see the need to bomb a cast way out there if you are trying to reach a channel of sorts. I would recommend using the slider setup I reference on my reports. Squid chunks on a minimum 4/0 hook but tend to keep it no larger than a 7/0. MutuLight hooks, help the fish hook themselves. Try adding the hook to the line via a surgeons loop vs. a snell or palamar. The more the hook moves around, the easier it is to hook themselves. Hi-lo or jus the lo will also work, really good for crab infested areas. Try using a lo about 10" up your line and feed the loop through the hook eyelet directly instead of using a leader from the loop to the hook. Sometimes I'll even thread the hook directly before I tie a dropper loop.

Tight lines, screeming reels, and happy hunting!

Hooky_Time
09-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Nice pics guys...reminds me of when I used to catch lots of those from the old San Mateo Bridge/Pier with my cousins when I was young. :'(

marnilr
09-15-2005, 07:52 PM
can u eat them?

Yep! I had my first leopard shark a few months ago. We deep fried it in fish-n-chip batter. I thought it was pretty good. I had some left over in the fridge and came home from work the next day to find my 6 year old daughter sitting in daddy's chair, watching t.v., eating the shark cold with ketchup... :P She LOVED it!!!!