PDA

View Full Version : Beginers class

massonitile
09-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I live in Fair Oaks does anybody know of a class/course on boat safety in Sac. I have been fishing the delta for years but sort of always felt i was winging it ! I am buying a 21 ft trophy and want to start fishing the bay, and I know jack about Surfs, 5 second waves breaks and knotts!! any help will be appreciated ,Thanks eric

CORN
09-12-2005, 05:37 PM
It's smart to look into taking a class. So many people buy boats, jump in and go, without proper education. Learn the basics, like green vs red buoys, who has the right of way, how many horn signals do you give when approaching ships head on, how many horn signals do you give when you're in danger. I took a Power Squadrons class in Vallejo. The basic class is free. Maybe they have classes up in Sac. Here's the link. good luck.

http://www.usps.org/

Hogsbro
09-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Check out the Coast Guard Auxiliary. They have lots of classes from beginner to advanced.

massonitile
09-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Thank you !

GCinGV
09-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Massonitile,
Thatís an exelent idea. I think there is a lot of people out there are winging it and boating classes should be required for at the very least the larger boats. I think a lot less people would get into trouble if they were, not to mention things like boat ramp etiquette.
GC

kromebrite
09-13-2005, 08:01 AM
I took a class from the CA dept of boating and waterways. Free. Fill out the test and mail it in. You get a nifty certificate as well. Very informative.

danyowrong
09-13-2005, 11:27 AM
As mentioned above, look into Power Squadron. If you pass the class you get a certificate and you can get a discount on boat insurance...or at least they used to do that.

GXC6
09-14-2005, 03:20 PM
I completed the "Americas Boating Course" and saved it in my "favorites" on my computer. I liked the course and I can always go back to it for reference. Like the other courses, after completion you can set up a final exam with the USCG Aux. The cost is $34.95 though but worth it.
http://www.americasboatingcourse.com/front/splash.htm