PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz skiff Saturday 9/10

ken_fishnfool
09-12-2005, 10:52 AM
I hooked up with Master Caster on Saturday for a little rockcod ling action. Little rockcod being the correct description. We hit a couple of Blue Crushes GPS numbers and got into a couple of schools of blacks for some fun action. They were right up to the surface in the morning.
I had one good ling on that came unbuttoned on the way up and did get a 23 incher to the boat. Master had some unusual set-ups but he did catch the biggest fish, a nice 3 pound bolina. We were crazy enough to stay out after the breeze came up and even tried a couple of drifts for halibut but no joy with that. :-/
We must have caught over 20 rockys each and kept a few of the nicer ones.
It was a lot of fun fishing with Master Caster because every fish is a joy for him. He seems an excitable guy and that's the best kind of fishing partner to have. I could not help myself from having FUN. ;D
Water was a little bouncy, weather was nice and warm (no fog) until the wind came up, and wind was a little cool at 15 knots.
No real big fish but plenty enough to make it a great trip. ;D

wading2fish
09-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the report kff. Were you baitfishing or jiggin with lures?

w2f

ken_fishnfool
09-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Both... I was using a fishtrap most of the morning and could have caught 3 or 4 times as many fish if I had changed to bait. We did use squid also. Master Caster used a variety of stuff including hairraisers and scampis as well as squid.

wading2fish
09-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey kff,

You're a Big Kahuna 8)! Congratulations man, you deserve it. I've gotten alot of good info and knowledge off your posts, keep it up!

w2f

AllFishNoWork
09-12-2005, 04:17 PM
It was a lot of fun fishing with Master Caster because every fish is a joy for him. He seems an excitable guy and that's the best kind of fishing partner to have. I could not help myself from having FUN

Thats the best partner to have in the boat. I fished with one guy(we won't mention any names ;)) who *would practically start giggling while he reeled in a fish :)

Sorry to hear no big lings, I am going there Sat. with the wife and our 2 boys. The boys will have a blast catching the blues and blacks, little will they think that a big fat ugly GF might come up with one of em :D

Did you head up past the lighthouse to Natural Bridges?, how far out from shore?

Master_Caster
09-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Had a great trip with Ken. I've gotta say, that dude is a FOUNTAIN of knowledge when it comes to fishing. Picked up a lot of good tips and advice.

In turn, I tried to do the same and took two friends of mine who are absolute newbies out on the skiffs Sunday. I was able to put them on fish, but one of them got seasick and I had to take her back.

We did fish a bit at Natural Bridges, but didn't have much luck. Most of our fish came out of the Dogbone area.

On Sunday I saw F&G bust two different boats for getting over the limit. Was nice to see them out there enforcing the rules.

ken_fishnfool
09-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Allfish, one thing to try is reel up about 10 cranks off the bottom,wait, then 5 more, wait, etc., if you're not getting bit. The black widows were up in the water column most of the morning. (Anchovy pieces will get your kids more black widow bites but they come off after one hit, so a lot of reeling in.A trick is a little strip of squid on the hook before you put on the anchovy, makes for two or three bites worth) ;)
And *;D ;D ;) if you get a little one on, send him down for a ride along the bottom for a while. Might open those boys eyes right up. :o :o ;)