PDA

View Full Version : Trolling around crab gear?

kris k
11-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Trying to sneak out for some last minute salmon. Just wondering what it's like dragging bait around with all the pots in the water. Is it workable or a recipe for disaster?

any info would be appreciated.

JB14
11-04-2013, 07:16 PM
It's doable but not much fun. Your head had better be on a swivel!!

GNappers
11-04-2013, 08:17 PM
We catch a lot of salmon around the pots out of Moss Landing. Just don't go too deep and have deck dawgs ready in case you get too close to one have them reel like hell. Bait seems to be attracted to the rope.

salmonid
11-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Arghhh! Never crabbed here in CA yet since I had to cancel my outing last night, so I don't know how much this translates. But anyway, don't toss your pots in the main channel where people are boating or fishing.

Sometimes the tide would rip so hard it would take people's pot floats under the water back up in OR. If they happened to set them in the channel where the salmon would come in it was just a cluster.

We have had to cut our leaders and leave a couple of 4/0 and 5/0 hooks with a headless herring attached to somebody's crab lines before. Hope they didn't get those gami's hooked into their hands, but come on- put the pots where they wont get snagged by lines or props.

Keeping a sharp lookout will help you avoid them, and also remembering where pots were set earlier in the tide cycle will be of use later in the day... I am always suspicious of any boiling water which could indicate something just under the surface.

Best,

ghostfish_slayer
11-10-2013, 09:59 AM
all the years fishing around pots we never drug gear into one yet and only had 1 fish take us into a pot.. maybe a little luck but i think more just pay attention to what is around us.. . last season smaller com. crab boat trying to run us out of the area where their pots were.. place where i have fished for 30+ years.. like they owned the ocean or something.. seeing more and more pots every year.. many of my buddy's work crab even my son did it.. i think am going to go drop some pots in myself this year..

iggybabble
12-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Before you start fishing, take a look at which way the crab pot buoys are setting due to currents, and look to see if any of the buoys are diving. near shore, shallower waters pots are easier to fish near compared to the gear in deeper water. Some of the sport crab guys are clueless and use too short lines, or tiny single buoys, or even plastic jugs as floats. the guys who are in the know, use large commercial style floats, often with a second trailer buoy, and have them painted in bright colors.