PDA

View Full Version : Pescadero Beach Report 9-5-05

pulper80
09-05-2005, 03:25 PM
We had such a good time fishing at Santa Cruz on Saturday, we decided to go again today. We hit up Pescadero Beach and fished for abotu 3 hours. The surf perch fishing was great. The action was not as hot as Santa Cruz, but when we did hook into a fish it was always big. The only dink I caught was this one, I think it's a calico, but not sure:

http://freehosting.hostrave.com/p/pulper/calico.jpg

I caught several large barred surf perch, the biggest of which I snapped a pic here:

http://freehosting.hostrave.com/p/pulper/surfperch2%20002.jpg

We ended up with 3 keeper fish. 2 barred, and 1 walleye (I think) maybe someone can confirm, here are a couple pics.

http://freehosting.hostrave.com/p/pulper/catch.jpg

http://freehosting.hostrave.com/p/pulper/big%20walleye.jpg

wading2fish
09-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Congrats on another day of successful fishing Pulper, those are nice perch! Keep at it and you will get into a nice Redtail or two, but those in the pics are definitely good enough for the pan. ;)

w2f

Bait_N_Wait
09-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Nice pics, thanks for the post!

pulper80
09-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Yea w2f I was really hoping to hook into a redtail, but I was still happy to catch a couple new varieties that I had not caught before. I didn't know that walleye surfperch get that big, I thought they were almost always 6-8 inches.

HollyWentFishin
09-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Does that walleye really have purple eyes? :) Pretty!

MB_Kevin
09-06-2005, 09:35 PM
nice, you have me wanting to get down to the beach here in pacifica

KauaiBoy23
09-07-2005, 05:45 AM
;D Nice fish P80. Can't wait to get out there. Were you bait or grub fishing for them? 8)

Rock_Hopper
09-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Nice, P80! Every once in awhile I get a big ole walleye like the one you have there. The biggest I've seen was about 12.5". :o

I think redtails are a little less common in your area as they are north of the gate, but they're around.

pulper80
09-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Grub fishing the whole way with a dark green color. Except one time my grub actually stabbed into a sand crab as I was reeling in, so I put him on the end of the hook a little more solidly (with grub still attached), and that is when the little Calico bit.

Lawaia
09-07-2005, 03:13 PM
WTG! Very nice. Just a side note, Pescadero still has stripers roaming around out there, A few buddies of mine hooked into a few last week. So if your perchin, hang on! You might run into a roaming striper, and they will hit a perch grub. ;)

grammar_police
09-07-2005, 04:50 PM
...still has stripers roaming around out there... So if your perchin, hang on! ...they will hit a perch grub. ;)

I concur!

I've seen a few, and boy what a fight on a light perching setup...

:)

Double_D
09-08-2005, 06:54 AM
Is there a time when the surf Perch fishing is better, Winter, Fall? does anyone know. ???

wading2fish
09-08-2005, 07:56 AM
DD,

I read on one of these surf perch threads that fall months (Sep-Nov) are really good for perch, especially the bigger varieties like redtails and barred surf perch.

w2f

pulper80
09-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Lawaia, funny you mention that because when i was there I hooked into a tiny striper! Really surprise me to get one there, but too bad he was only 5 inches long ;)

ken_fishnfool
09-08-2005, 10:05 AM
My best perch months are Sept-Nov for big barred perch (south of Santa Cruz) and Jan-Feb for Red-tails and Calicos and big Walleyes, between Santa Cruz and San Francisco (in between storms). ;D

CenCoast_Angler
09-08-2005, 10:17 AM
All this talk of surf fishing is getting me riled up. I'm going on Saturday now---see what you've done! Fortunately, I live in Marina and the beach is only about a half mile away. I'll post results on Sunday---if I'm still standing after the first Sunday of football.
PK

wading2fish
09-08-2005, 02:25 PM
My best perch months are Sept-Nov for big barred perch (south of Santa Cruz) and Jan-Feb for Red-tails and Calicos and big Walleyes, between Santa Cruz and San Francisco (in between storms). ;D

KFF,
Thanks for another good post with good info in it, oh and three more posts and you've got yourself a mud hut! Congrats.

w2f

CenCoast_Angler
09-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Just to update my post earlier (apologies if I've hijacked this thread) --- I went to Salinas River SB on Saturday and fished from 2 to 7. More walking than fishing. Fished from the del monte exit to monterey dunes resort. Saw some good looking water but only managed 3 fish. 2 barred surfperch and a little striper. It was my first surf striper and I was really excited---of course I didn't bring my camera. It was only about 11 or 12 inches but he/she fought well. I thought I had a monster surf perch at first. The surf perch came on red 2-inch grubs behind a sliding sinker+swivel in about 2 feet of water, approximately 20 feet out. They were both about 8-10 inches---released em both--caught one at 4 and the other around 6. The striper came on my new invention that I just created Saturday----a sliding sinker above a red bead and a swivel attached to a 18 inch leader with a red spin glow and a red 2 inch grub. The spin glow was in my steelhead box and after staring at it I realized that above a small grub it might look like a sand crab, the way it spins around digging up sand. Well, it worked. I caught the striper on my third cast then stayed there for another hour until it was almost dark, hoping for a school of em---right in front of the river mouth (which was not flowing into the Pacific at the time).
All in all it was a good day. Caught some fish, met some knowledgeable old-timers, and then the Niners won on Sunday! Great wknd!

PK

wading2fish
09-12-2005, 11:00 AM
CCA, as a perch and striper fisherman, one of my wishes is to land a big striper when grubbing for perch. What a fight that would be. Can you imagine, a 10 or 15 lb striper on light perch gear, let's get it on!

Thanks for the tip about the spinner, I have a couple in my box and will use em next time I'm out perching.

w2f