PDA

View Full Version : Crab Pot Limit Bill Passes! Your letters needed.

RFA-West
09-08-2005, 09:44 AM
I am pleased to annouce that the California State Legislature passed AB 749, the Crab Pot Limit Bill, yesterday.

This bill would limit commercial crab boats to 250 pots and give the Calfornia Fish & Game Commission new authority to regulate the fishery in the future.

A couple of weeks ago RFA sent out a sample letter and postcards to all our California members. If you haven't sent in the postcard to the Governor in support of this bill, please do so now!

You can read the language of the bill here:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/...mended_sen.html

To voice your support for AB 749, here's the easy way: use the Governor's web-based email form here:

http://www.govmail.ca.gov

A letter mailed in an envelope is even better. Here's the address and sample text:

The Honorable Arnold Schwarzenegger
Governor of California
State Capital Building
Sacramento, CA 95814

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

As a recreational fishing license holder in the state of California, I support AB 749, which would set a 250-pot limit on commercial boats fishing for Dungeness crab in California and give the Fish & Game Commission the authority to manage the fishery.

For years, recreational fishermen have been unhappy about the way most of the crabs disappear within 10 days of the commercial opening. Every year there is more gear in the water, presenting navigational hazards, potential for waste and more derelict gear in the ocean.

A limit on the number of pots in the commercial fleet would extend the period of availability of crabs for both sectors. The Recreational Fishing Alliance supports AB 749 and I urge you to sign it into law.
Signed,

[Your Name]
[Your Address]

pulseczar
09-08-2005, 09:33 PM
How do you think this law will affect prices of crab in the market?

Team_Sheryl_Lee
09-09-2005, 03:44 PM
prices may go up a little but quality should also improve
when you buy your crab out of the market it is normally "fresh" frozen and may be a lot older than you might think

TSL

RFA-West
09-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Crabs are cyclical, in good years the price will be low, and in bad years the price will be high.