PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your crabs alive longer

sarahpee
11-08-2013, 11:26 PM
I see it time & time again, I see a 5 gal bucket, filled with about 10 crab & barely covered with water. What happens with this small amount of water is it is quickly depleted of it's oxygen by the crabs, then in turn they die quickly, (unless you can replenish the water often). The crab can live many hours...say 12-24hrs without any water at all, & covered with a damp cloth, cause we want our crabs to be alive as long as possible until cooking time. So don't kill your crabs, leave the water out.

salmonid
11-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Good point. Some guys run an aquarium air pump in their crab buckets for the drive home. I just put the crabs above some ice in a cooler.

Fresh crab sounds great!

Best,

Seon
11-09-2013, 05:44 AM
I steam my catch at the ramp parking lot using sea water. Can't get any fresher than that :cheers:

nvthis
11-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I steam my catch at the ramp parking lot using sea water. Can't get any fresher than that :cheers:Ohhhhhh... That sounds so good..

Sekkyo
11-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I just put the crabs above some ice in a cooler.
Ice can kill crab too if they get too cold. As long as it isn't hot out they're fine in a cooler with the lid open a bit for air. They can survive overnight this way easily.

elkhornsun
11-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Big difference in taste between crabs caught and cooked within 8 hours or less and ones that go longer regardless of how they have been kept. We cook them and clean them and then the meat can be refrigerated and hold its flavor much longer than if left inside the crab.

Seon
11-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Ice can kill crab too if they get too cold. As long as it isn't hot out they're fine in a cooler with the lid open a bit for air....

Why keep the cooler open for air? :undecided:

JB14
11-13-2013, 07:59 PM
We throw them in the livewell while fishing, toss them in the cooler with a salt water soaked towel on top when it's time to go home. Our crab lived for a couple hours until they hit the boiling water.

GNappers
11-13-2013, 09:08 PM
We throw them in the live well and don't have the aerator running, don't change the water either. The string was only 4 miles out and after washing the boat we left the slip to boil the crab. I use freshwater, or half fresh-half saltwater or just all saltwater. I have been adding rosemary, crab boil, salt, pepper, Pappy's, lemon I squeeze then drop in the rind, garlic I chop and drop, onion I chop and drop and sometimes celery. My buddy puts a little seawater and hen teams it. My boiling time is 18 minutes. Same buddy told me to get rid of the water and start a new boil if all the crab don't fit in the first go.