PDA

View Full Version : New Melones

sollimes
11-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Has anyone fish Melones lately? Have the water turned yet?
Planning to go thanksgiving weekend.

Sonoramike
11-14-2013, 06:23 AM
I haven't fished it in a while but last weekend there were trout to around 18" cruising the docs at Tuttle town. So there starting to move up.

Shoreman
11-14-2013, 07:32 AM
I fished New Melones on November 1st and brought to hand 4 holdovers in the 1 to 1/2 pound size. I went back again on the 12th and caught two (one was 1 lb. 10 oz and the other slightly smaller). I also missed one at the net that was probably bigger than the 1-10. We were at Tuttletown and I fish rainbow Power Bait on a slip sinker rig. You can always check my blog since I fish mostly Amador, Alpine, Calaveras ( Tuolumne at Tuttletown), and El Dorado County.

Northern California Trout (http://www.northerncaliforniatrout.com/)

Updates the same day I fish.

Mark

Marv
11-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Its not wide open but plenty of bankers are scoring limits. Probably going this coming week with RideNfish. I'll give a detailed report, and send ya a pm in case you miss it.

BigUnInDaBoat
11-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Its not wide open but plenty of bankers are scoring limits. Probably going this coming week with RideNfish. I'll give a detailed report, and send ya a pm in case you miss it.

What day? And off the bank?

Marv
11-14-2013, 09:24 AM
What day? And off the bank?

Haven't hashed out a day yet. Yes sir from the bank :)

Marv
11-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Solimes, if you haven't already check out the Glory Hole Sports fishing report. Trout heavy bank pics.

BigUnInDaBoat
11-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Right on post up if you figure it out, maybe I'll stop by and soak some bait with ya. I don't think the lake has turned over yet, there is just a lot of baitfish (shad/natives) in the shallows.

Silias G
11-14-2013, 08:23 PM
My son and I fished Melones on Sat. Really tough bite. We trolled small spoons and minnow pattern swim baits at 100 pulls from the surface down to 100' from 7AM to 6PM. We trolled right out of the TTown ramp, the dam, 49 bridge, Coyote creek and the Stan almost to Camp 9. All we could manage was one 10" bass. We were marking a lot of fish around large schools of bait from 50 to 80' everywhere we went. We would run under, over and right through them with out a scratch. Water level is very low.

Jfitalia
11-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Looks like I'll be there in a boat on thursday.

Jfitalia
11-14-2013, 08:50 PM
My son and I fished Melones on Sat. Really tough bite. We trolled small spoons and minnow pattern swim baits at 100 pulls from the surface down to 100' from 7AM to 6PM. We trolled right out of the TTown ramp, the dam, 49 bridge, Coyote creek and the Stan almost to Camp 9. All we could manage was one 10" bass. We were marking a lot of fish around large schools of bait from 50 to 80' everywhere we went. We would run under, over and right through them with out a scratch. Water level is very low.

That's strange. The reports I'm getting from friends is the bite is really good. How fast were you trolling? Were you working the points and drop offs?

MrDwnRigger
11-14-2013, 09:09 PM
I fished in the CAST event on Saturday it was a tough bite only put one fish in the boat for the kids. The lake has not turned over yet but the fish are in the top 15 feet. I went out Sunday morning just past the 5 mph buoys of the TT ramp, I figured I would fish a little while I secured the boat for the ride home. Caught 2 nice rainbows in about 30 min. and lost one close to 3 pounds at the boat. 15 feet down number 2 cop car needle fish @ 2.5 mph. Probably no more than 300 or 400 yards from the buoys. No wind, beautiful weather.

MrD

MrDwnRigger
11-14-2013, 09:22 PM
One other thing, you'll probably be marking some large schools of fish between 50 and 100 feet down, couldn't get them to hit anything. I think their next years Koke's. Sure hope so looks like a good year next year. I wouldn't put a lot of effort into them . Good luck, wish I was going again..

MrD

Silias G
11-14-2013, 10:15 PM
I would put our speed at about 2.5 to 3 mph. We toplined across a number of points and in the flat areas. I thought Kokes, like most other salmon, don't graph on most fish finders.

MrDwnRigger
11-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Koke's have a rather large air bladder. So they show up fine on most fish finders. The size of the arc does not does not necessarily tell you the size of the fish just its air bladder. King salmon that's another matter or topic.

MrD

Jfitalia
11-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Koke's have a rather large air bladder. So they show up fine on most fish finders. The size of the arc does not does not necessarily tell you the size of the fish just its air bladder. King salmon that's another matter or topic.

MrD

My lowrance marks king salmon, kokanee, trout and everything else. I've never bought into the air bladder myth with salmon.

RideNfish
11-15-2013, 10:21 AM
My lowrance marks king salmon, kokanee, trout and everything else.

Of course it does... You turn up the sensitivity all the way so you just "think" you are always over a ton of fish. LOL

Jfitalia
11-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Of course it does... You turn up the sensitivity all the way so you just "think" you are always over a ton of fish. LOL

hahah no no Doug. I change my sensitivity based on where I am fishing. I turn that thing down in rivers so I dont see all the crap floating around.

Last time I checked rocks and trees dont have air bladders and they show up just fine on my lowrance....

This whole "you can't see kokes and salmon due to small air bladders" is just a fairy tale. If you can't see them then maybe upgrade your FF or adjust your settings and learn how to read the screen better.

Marv
11-15-2013, 12:39 PM
A fish finder is a sonar device, period. It shoots out a radar beam and receives it. Then I gets proccesed by your ff and ta da its on your screen.

Anything that has mass, be it air, a fish, floating crap, or a bouquet of balloons floating around under the surface WILL ALL SHOW UP. Air or no air, it detects MASS.

mryosemite
11-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Air or no air, it detects MASS.

If they made one that detected ASS, I'd be a buyer. But maybe two legged does are a different topic.

P.S. This is my 100th post, do I get a prize?

Sonoramike
11-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I can see a 1/4 ounce lead head at 30' on an old eagle 320. These new units should show everything!

RideNfish
11-15-2013, 08:00 PM
P.S. This is my 100th post, do I get a prize?

No prize. You should get a punishment for taking a year to get to 100. LOL

PapaGreg
11-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Took the grandsons out today, fished the TT area near the boat ramp, off to the left. Got 4 fish between four of us, used all kinds/colors of PB, PE's, and PW's. Through all the usual hardware, got the fish on orange PE's. Fished from 8am to 1pm, all fish were caught within a 30 minute span around 11-11:30. All in all, a nice day weatherwise and a GREAT day spent with the grandsons!!!!!!

Sonoramike
11-16-2013, 04:27 PM
I was on the right side of the ramp with my sons. Fished 10:30-1:30 landed 6 all on garlic pb with 18" flouro leaders,missed a few on crawler power egg combos. School seemed to swim by about every 45 min
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/17/u4ynedaj.jpg

mryosemite
11-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Anything that has mass, be it air, a fish, floating crap, or a bouquet of balloons floating around under the surface WILL ALL SHOW UP. Air or no air, it detects MASS.

Hey Marv -I was fishing today and came across this along the shoreline...thought of you.

PapaGreg
11-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Sonoramike, we were pretty much across from you, I recognize the kids in the picture.

Steve079
11-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Sonoramike, we were pretty much across from you, I recognize the kids in the picture.

happens all the time.